Contact us

Entering the new decade;

Preuss

A general discussion thread for this contest going into the new decade.

What do you think should change in Eurovision for the new decade? Which countries need to do a different approach in this contest in order to achieve better results, or will we see a contest where the "usual" countries do well like Sweden, Russia, Australia, Italy... - perhaps someone else will see 2020 as a fresh new start to invest more in their entries?

Juries have been a topic pretty much every year. Is it time to expand the juries to perhaps a number of ten where you're able to "cover" more in the music industry; genres of music, styles etc...?

FilipFromSweden

Maybe give juries 25% only?

Preuss

Maybe give juries 25% only?

Personally, I'm a big fan of the 50/50 system, but I would definitely like to see the juries expanded with members covering the music industry to a certain degree

And may the UK change direction and do well again... :D
I mean they could put [MENTION=4371]Sean[/MENTION] in charge and we could perhaps see some really cool and daring entries from the UK

Mii11

I would personally scrap thee juries because their original purpose was to prevent block voting. As we all can see, they are just as biased, if not more, than the televoters.

Realest

3 Possibilities to improve Voting.

a) 100 % TV with a new TV-System which awards the Top13-15 instead only the Top10 to reduce the Diaspora- and Blockeffect and make the Results more fair.
b) 50/50 with bigger Juries (9 f.e.) and Explaination of the Juries of their Votes.
c) The Same Voting, but with 66/33 for the Public.

Storm

I think juries are very important for the competition to work out because the 2000s were a big travesty tbh.

More members could be a good idea, I'd like to try that out. Also EBU has to address obvious fake voting like what Armenia + Azerbaijan do every year.

Brandt

Too many things to be fixed, but no one to fix any.

Ichbinjari

I think the EBU could invest more in the screening of the juries. We need really independent juries, not biased ones. Giving an (public) explanation for their votes will be a great addition as well (although the harm is already done).

GermanBango

100% televoting is a really bad idea imo. They should indeed make the juries bigger though - thinking about 10 people at least. And call me crazy but I would actually like to see them adding 2 or 3 regular Eurovision fans (us basically) to the juries. Let`s be real, we are way better at judging songs and performances than most of the jurors actually. :lol:

Etanna

100% televoting is a really bad idea imo. They should indeed make the juries bigger though - thinking about 10 people at least. And call me crazy but I would actually like to see them adding 2 or 3 regular Eurovision fans (us basically) to the juries. Let`s be real, we are way better at judging songs and performances than most of the jurors actually. :lol:

but not Romania style please :D

Nicfedy

Internet votes from other continents or counties eg USA,Canada, Asia, etc to count for maybe 1/3, then unbiased juries and televotes

darkap

0) Open the lines from the very first performance on Grand Final
1) At the end, close the lines and proceed with 50/50 Juries/Televote - announcing them as aggregated results (like now for the Televote with the hosts)
2) Determine the Scoreboard with the Top 10 Nations that should battle the SuperFinal
3) Open the Televoting lines again for the SuperFinal
4) Proceed with the Interval Acts
5) Each of the Partecipating Nations spokepersons announce the Twelve Points of the 100% Televote Results for the SuperFinal Top10

So, repeating
Step 1: 50/50 Juries/Televote to decide the Top 10 finalists
Step 2: SuperFinal with the Top 10 finalists using 100% Televote

This may bring back the issue of having a runaway winner spoiling audience and Tv ratings, but...
Also this would be a major overhaul of the Eurovision system, making it looking with nostalgia at the old times.

midnightsun

Veteran
A.) More people in the juries. Real experts. Real time watching like the public but only writing down top 10. Strict rules how to vote and for what (determination of criteria). Jury members get to know who the other jury members are only in the finals.

B.) Abolishing the big 5 and reducing the finalists to 20 songs

C.) Automatic qualification in the next year as a reward for certain achievements, e.g. televote winner, jury winner, winner overall

D.) Starting Numbers drawn randomly

randajad

Veteran
1. More people in the juries.
2. More people on the stage
3. Bigger venues if possible
4. Local talent >>> foreign mediocre global superstar has-been
5. Encouraging national languages
6. Encouraging more current song production
7. New executive supervisor
8. Dancing Bjorkman goodbye

Fluke

I was hoping for a return to "crazy entries" like in the late noughties, but now with Portugal NQ and Australia doing below expectations, and the winner being the exact opposite, it seems headed in the other direction, but it could still happen. Eurovision needs to get crazy again, also i'd like to see more groups doing well, and at least attempt to allow some live instruments on stage again, it worked until 1999 for gods' sake, why not now?

anto475

No more on-screen overlays.
An end to the "Swedish formula" which has been used ad nauseum since 2016. Let every contest be different.
Let the JESC winner sing their song as an interval act again.
No more interval acts not from the host country, unless they have a direct link to the contest.
Increase the number of people on stage to 8.
All performers must be visible, no more hidden backing singers.
Let Ireland win four more times in a row.
Let me host each contest in Ireland.

Top Bottom