Contact us

Entering the new decade;

dogmeat

The discussion page for the 0s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:0s) has an inconclusive discussion about the 0s "decade" having only 9 years. Wikipedia is no authority in this matter ;)
It does correctly mention, however, that "any period of ten years is a decade" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade
So yeah, we can agree on talking about 20-29 decade, and it makes just as much sense as a 24-33 decade. 21-30 makes a little more sense, since it's specifically the third decade of XXI century, rather than a random decade starting and ending on random years.

Loindici

Veteran
The discussion page for the 0s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:0s) has an inconclusive discussion about the 0s "decade" having only 9 years. Wikipedia is no authority in this matter ;)
It does correctly mention, however, that "any period of ten years is a decade" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade
So yeah, we can agree on talking about 20-29 decade, and it makes just as much sense as a 24-33 decade. 21-30 makes a little more sense, since it's specifically the third decade of XXI century, rather than a random decade starting and ending on random years.

Although, would it be sensible to include 2000 with the 1991-1999? xbike
Talking about decades, the proper decade of Eurovision would start from 2016 to 2025, fundamentally referring to the seventh decade of Eurovision counting by the numbers of its seasons. However, I agree more with Citelis here: 2020 would be much more consensual to be 'a start of a decade'.

dogmeat

Although, would it be sensible to include 2000 with the 1991-1999? xbike
Yes, because year 2000 means 1999 years have passed since the beginning of the calendar. Not including it would sacrifice internal consistency of the entire counting system for the sake of temporary aesthetics oOX

Talking about decades, the proper decade of Eurovision would start from 2016 to 2025, fundamentally referring to the seventh decade of Eurovision counting by the numbers of its seasons.
That's honestly the best point so far. I'm starting to count decades this way. See ya in 6 years.

Ezio

Veteran
Count from 1 to 10.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Well done! That's the first decade!
What's the second one?

11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Ah, and what's the 202nd decade then?

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020!

Omg, you're so clever!

joancamo

Predictions for Eurovision 2020s

– Returns of Bulgaria Luxembourg and Slovakia
– Sweden will qualify every year but won’t win, along with Russia
– Countries that have suffered in the Semis and Finals will get their time in the sun, Slovenia North Macedonia San Marino
-Czech Republic will win, Jan Bors is a great HoD and the Czech Interest is growing!
-Hungary will withdraw or change its selection method completely, A Dal has been bleeding viewers and haven’t been consistent in getting great results. (Yes they qualified but Hungry has a history of withdrawing when things don’t go right in ESC)
-Lithuania will come top ten after a revised national selection. This non qualification and the mess with Monika made the Delegation wake up.
-Belgium will fix itself after their stumble the last 2 years.
-Spain will have a few bad results at the beginning of the decade but will achieve more success by 2024.
-Iceland will win, but near the end of the decade.
-Kazahkstan will debute alongside Kosovo early in the decade.
-Montenegro withdraws due to poor results and cost.
-Albania will form a new voting block with Kosovo Bulgaria and North Macedonia. (Albania are already voting friends with North Macedonia but Kosovo will only strengthen the Albanian Block) with some help of the Italian vote as well.
-Italy will win very very soon!
-Ukraine’s perfect qualification record will end soon after this year's National final disaster.

HayashiM

Veteran
I don't like the idea of uneven voting power of each voting group (jury/tele) because it will make the voting process so messy. How do you present a 26.8%/73.2% voting that's easy to follow?

I also don't like strict criteria for the jury to vote on. I don't think you can reduce music to that kind of evaluation process. Music - as is most art - is more than just the sum of its parts.

The things I would change
1. Only top 10 from the jury
2. Increase the jury size to 10 people
3. Go back to 2016-2018 way of presenting the public vote.

You can present similar things in a very easy way - just as it's been done for the last few years.
Let's say the weights are 1/3 juryvote and 2/3 televote (which IMO is the best, as there is some "professional" influence but the paying public is still the more important one). First you announce the jurypoints just as usual. Then you announce the televote points (preferably in the 2016-18 way), but every country's score gets doubled (so every country's televote in fact awards 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20 and 24 points).
Same model if the weights are 1/4 jury and 3/4 televote - all you have to do is multiply televote's points by 3.

There would be no mess at all. I agree with your other changes though :-)

HayashiM

Veteran
I’m not sure they wouldn’t vote for a traditional entry like Europe sometimes does, as Europe often votes for an American sounding entry. Don’t know what you have against Asia or South America, the Middle East etc, being allowed to express a view, at least until they get their own contest. I would love the top 5 in Eurovision to go intoto a World song contest. But that’s just me wanting not to exclude anyone from sharing this joyous event with us as we can.

Other countries expressing their view is fine by me, but 1/3 is way too much. One set of jurypoints and one set of telepoints would be ok.

hawadharma

It's already 2020 and we yet to see the Asian counterpart of Eurovision!!! :lol:

Preuss

Just please no Fuego 3.0 next year with Sacha Jean-Baptiste doing the staging because it will probably end up doing much better than my favourites in the end lol

Realest

Everything should stay as it is.

Neo

- No juries
- A percentage of songwriters must be locals
- No big 5
- Random starting order
- No live backup singers (pre-recorded only)
- No international interval acts
- No more Australia
- No more French talk
- No more EBU great leader check-in (valid result, take it away). It's a nasty left-over from the days where higher ranks needed to be stroked.

HayashiM

Veteran
- No juries
- No big 5
- Random starting order
- No more Australia
- No more French talk
- No more EBU great leader check-in (valid result, take it away). It's a nasty left-over from the days where higher ranks needed to be stroked.

I love me some French talk!
I can agree with the other ideas though. Especially no juries and having those local songwriters. xyes

Citelis

- No juries
- No big 5
- Random starting order
- No more Australia
- No more French talk

These ideas would be huge disaster for Eurovision. I strongly disagree with everything.

anto475

- No juries
- No big 5
- Random starting order
- No more Australia
- No more French talk

No, Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, No, No, No. Overall, no.

Citelis

BIG 5 is actually the most important rule Eurovision has. The reasons are not musical but financial.

DenizESC

Banned
BIG 5 is actually the most important rule Eurovision has. The reasons are not musical but financial.

Im sorry but that is BS, just because they fund the show doesn't mean they should automatically get a free ticket to the final. Like what o_O Teaching people you can always be successful as long as you're rich...

They can fund and support the show and still be EQUAL to all other countries, current system is unacceptable. Back in the day I could have maybe gotten it as they were sending terrible songs and got terrible results regardless but not anymore in 2019.

It is like going to the same university but you don't have to do the first 2 years bcs you paid the school 100k, indeed quite scandalous.

Citelis

Im sorry but that is BS, just because they fund the show doesn't mean they should automatically get a free ticket to the final. Like what o_O Teaching people you can always be successful as long as you're rich...

They can fund and support the show and still be EQUAL to all other countries, current system is unacceptable. Back in the day I could have maybe gotten it as they were sending terrible songs and got terrible results regardless but not anymore in 2019.

It is like going to the same university but you don't have to do the first 2 years bcs you paid the school 100k, indeed quite scandalous.

I understand but EBU wants to make sure that people from BIG 5 will vote since the majority of votes come from these countries. And thats the best solution. Also that's why EBU did everything to bring Italy back in 2011 but does not really care to bring back small countries like Luxembourg. Of course that means that EBU wants Turkey back too.

https://eurovoix.com/2019/01/25/the-big-five-rule-is-here-to-stay-but-expansion-is-possible/
https://eurovoix.com/2019/01/25/turkey-ebu-working-every-year-on-nations-return-to-eurovision/

Top Bottom