10 6.5%

12 7.8%

24 15.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

jatojo

A modern sounding song can definitely be too generic. Being "modern" wasn't even the problem.

The root of the problem is that the song was in a key he couldn't comfortably reach. In addition to that, the song didnt really go anywhere sonically. There's this DMGP-type of "flatness" that most of Denmark's entries have had in the last ten years that they need to seriously break out of.

So Fyr & Flamme were "flat"?

Ezio

Veteran
It's not like Greece sent a sirtaki song, quite the opposite xexcuseme

Although, he maybe does have a point. I don't know anybody out of Scandinavia who would listen to this song (apologies to people from Scandinavia if things like that are not popular in their parts of the woods).
Maybe 12 year old girls? 14-15 year old ones would rather die on spot than being cought with it in their play lists.
Thing is known that Greece and the Balkans aren't the biggest manufactured pop lovers. Greece even ditched Cyprus this year.

Betwixt Tales

The root of the problem is that the song was in a key he couldn't comfortably reach.
That's the thing I can't understand. He can sing. He's proven that again and again, so why on earth did he choose to sing this song in falsetto when it's clearly not his strength or comfort zone, and it doesn't allow him to really sing out? When he sings with his chest it sounds so much better, has so much more strength, and he comes so much more alive as it gives him range.

I didn't understand the falsetto choice from the first time I heard the song, and it clearly wasn't the right decision - whoever made it.

jatojo

That's the thing I can't understand. He can sing. He's proven that again and again, so why on earth did he choose to sing this song in falsetto when it's clearly not his strength or comfort zone, and it doesn't allow him to really sing out? When he sings with his chest it sounds so much better, has so much more strength, and he comes so much more alive as it gives him range.

I didn't understand the falsetto choice from the first time I heard the song, and it clearly wasn't the right decision - whoever made it.

Most current hits are like that. Does Zara Larsson have many high notes in her songs? Yes. Can she hit them live? No. So she uses autotune.

Falsetto is extremely difficult, and very few artists can deliver it flawlessly. Justin Timberlake couldn't either. Nor could Mahmood (to name an example from Eurovision).

Uto

Veteran
Falsetto is extremely difficult, and very few artists can deliver it flawlessly. Justin Timberlake couldn't either. Nor could Mahmood (to name an example from Eurovision).
Correction. Falsetto is rather easy generally, although for some it's very hard, depends on how your vocal chords are laid out. What is always hard is to do a staccato falsetto. Which is what you often hear in pop.

Andromache

I think he would've done well with the juries. This performance was my favorite in the NF but I think Lige her would've struggled to qualify, too. I still think Nicklas had the best chances.

Ezio

Veteran
So, Iceland saved Denmark from their first zero point result.

jatojo

I think he would've done well with the juries. This performance was my favorite in the NF but I think Lige her would've struggled to qualify, too. I still think Nicklas had the best chances.
Yeah, it could have been like with Estonia - close to not qualifying and then, once in the final, it would do well because of the juries.

Of course, there isn’t really a hook - the song is sort of like Lxandra’s in the UMK with high technical quality, good lyrics and a nice vibe. Not enough for a top 5 probably, but it would have stood out and generated more sympathy.

midnightsun

Veteran
Initially I thought the song was ok but the more live performances we got the more it went down in my ranking up till around 35-36 I think. Other countries were just better live. Also the song wasn’t too original and the voice not the best that night.

Sammy

Veteran
The term “generic” is so over-used. Nowadays, it only seems to mean “it’s a song I don’t like”.

DR is right: one of the problems with Reiley’s song may be that it’s too modern. (=not generic enough)
I don‘t think that. The reason was obvious. The vocal performance was really not good and showed how much the voice was altered/supported/artificially strenghtend/modiefied (call it as you wish) in the studio cut. It‘s like you get a super nice and fancy piece of cake and when you cut it, it‘s just flavourless cream inside. People feel betrayed and don‘t vote for it.

I feel sorry for Reiley cuz I really like the song.

jatojo

I don‘t think that. The reason was obvious. The vocal performance was really not good and showed how much the voice was altered/supported/artificially strenghtend/modiefied (call it as you wish) in the studio cut. It‘s like you get a super nice and fancy piece of cake and when you cut it, it‘s just flavourless cream inside. People feel betrayed and don‘t vote for it.

I feel sorry for Reiley cuz I really like the song.
Well, both the Danish viewers and the Danish jury liked his performance in the Melodi Grand Prix. And he sounded much better there than he did in Liverpool. The problem was that he couldn’t deliver a steady vocal - already at the party right after the Melodi Grand Prix, he sang badly.

But Denmark was already in trouble early on, as the bookmakers rated the song at about 30th spot. I don’t think that was because of Reiley’s unstable vocal only.

Sammy

Veteran
Well, both the Danish viewers and the Danish jury liked his performance in the Melodi Grand Prix. And he sounded much better there than he did in Liverpool. The problem was that he couldn’t deliver a steady vocal - already at the party right after the Melodi Grand Prix, he sang badly.

But Denmark was already in trouble early on, as the bookmakers rated the song at about 30th spot. I don’t think that was because of Reiley’s unstable vocal only.
My post reflected of course my personal
feeling when I heard him. I couldn’t vote for him but when I heard it I thought immedeatly that this would not go through. And I had him in my top 10.

Semra

If this is "modern" and what the future brings, KILL ME NOW.

I agree. As a mature woman (with a modern music taste) this song was far too tweenish for me. But I also have two young children who felt the same; Too childish and cringy. All the hearty hearts and doll like stuff might be big in Asia... but come on... The song is also extremely repetitve. I will give it that it's very catchy. But catchy doesn't mean quality. SOLO from Blanka is also very, very catchy.

Denmark has been out of touch for a long time now. I don't know why as it's a very "modern" society. They're stuck in the 80's/90's usually, wanted to be "modern" this time around... and missed. Tik tok modern is not quality. And it's not for grown ups.

There was a guy who sang a beautiful song (can't remember his name) in the NF. There wasn't much to chose from, but he would have served some vocals and quality at least. The rock band who (I think?) won the public vote were ok. But their song nothing special and again; Too dated.

jatojo

There was a guy who sang a beautiful song (can't remember his name) in the NF. There wasn't much to chose from, but he would have served some vocals and quality at least. The rock band who (I think?) won the public vote were ok. But their song nothing special and again; Too dated.

The rock song - by Niklas Sonne - wouldn't have qualified. It would have had the same fate as Germany: a good amount of praise and then very few points from both juries and televoters. The jury at Dansk Melodi Grand Prix knew it wouldn't have had big chances, just like the old-fashioned "Glansbillede", so they chose Reiley. It made sense to me back then, and still does. But I would have picked 1-2 other songs for the top 3, and according to the interviews with the jury members, it seemed they were generally not happy about the choices made by the televoters.

Top Bottom