10 6.5%

12 7.8%

24 15.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

AndroZeus

No entry from the :dk: NF would have qualified.
That´s the issue... DR needs to step up their game.
DR underwent a politically motivated 20% budget cut a few years ago, and I'm thinking maybe that's where it really started to go wrong... Any time DR spends money on something, the right wing parties go off about how the "left-wing" public broadcaster is "wasting everyone's hard-earned money".

Mainshow

Veteran
DR underwent a politically motivated 20% budget cut a few years ago, and I'm thinking maybe that's where it really started to go wrong... Any time DR spends money on something, the right wing parties go off about how the "left-wing" public broadcaster is "wasting everyone's hard-earned money".

Reiley's performance at Eurovision looked really great, though and all the props were probably quite "expensive".

I don't think that it's a "budget issue" - I mean... DR simply needs to allow more interesting, progressive and competitive entries compete.

Same applies to :ie: (:dk: is not even close to becoming such a Eurovision trainwreck as :ie: , though).

ESC94

Reiley's performance at Eurovision looked really great, though and all the props were probably quite "expensive".

I don't think that it's a "budget issue" - I mean... DR simply needs to allow more interesting, progressive and competitive entries compete.

Same applies to :ie: (:dk: is not even close to becoming such a Eurovision trainwreck as :ie: , though).

Maybe now, no one knows about the future though. :LOL:

AndroZeus

I think at least the fact that there are only 8 songs is explained as a budget issue. Though, of course, UMK also only had 8 songs, which were all way better than the best song in DMGP, so idk if that even matters.

I guess the main problem is that the committee choosing the songs and the show director both need to be 100% replaced...

Mainshow

Veteran
I feel you - it has been like that in :de: for years now as well (and look at our "successful placings" in recent years). Tiny things changed this year, however, and I think that :dk: could be more open-minded towards different genres and acts as well.
Even that Ben & whatever her name was who wanted to represent Denmark in 2020 submitted quite a more competitive entry than other NF acts who competed in that one in the end.

The show director/the committee really needs to be replaced by people who listen to a wider range of music(al genres)!

jatojo

I'm hoping for a gospel version of "Breaking My Heart".

Semra

Same budget cut here in Norway for NRK. That's why our MGP this year was so small, with simple stagings. And even though I wasn't a fan of our entry this year, it was competitive and we had a lot to choose from. Much better than Denmark. So I don't think this is the issue. Could it be reputation for the artists? Is it looked down upon in Denmark? Or is it just that our lovely neighbors really are out of touch? I don't know the Danish music market well in general, so I'm scratching my brain...

DR just went out and said it's not on them... That it was Europe which didn't get their (too modern) entry. And that if their Nordic neighbors could've voted in their SF, they would've made it (Wrong!). And by saying this, they're actually admitting this song was not competitive in the first place. Votes from friendly neighbors is not enough in the Grand final anyway.
No responsibility and no changes to come.

jatojo

Could it be reputation for the artists? Is it looked down upon in Denmark? Or is it just that our lovely neighbors really are out of touch? I don't know the Danish music market well in general, so I'm scratching my brain...

:)

Semra

:)
Thank you! Very interesting. I agree with this:

"Thomas Stengaard does not quite agree.
If he had his way, Danes would shake off some of the 80s kitsch that he says characterises many Danes' attitude to the show - and start taking it more seriously as a modern show."

But very sad money is the driving force behind sending songs to Melodifestivalen instead.

I think in Norway we stand somewhere between Denmark and Sweden in how we look at the show. There's still a stigma, but it's getting much better. Young people here arrange huge watch parties and some of our "snobby indie rock musicians" even started trying it out about ten years ago (on the song writer side of things)

jatojo

I think in Norway we stand somewhere between Denmark and Sweden in how we look at the show. There's still a stigma, but it's getting much better. Young people here arrange huge watch parties and some of our "snobby indie rock musicians" even started trying it out about ten years ago (on the song writer side of things)

In terms of Eurovision, I think two of the important differences between Denmark on the one hand and Norway and Sweden on the other, are:
- Their music industry in general has been much more successful in the last 20 years than Denmark's - that's reflected in the results at Eurovision
- There is a steady base of respected artists, and they are not stigmatized just because of their participation in song competitions, as they tend to get in Denmark.

jatojo

How many watched the final in :dk:?? I guess not that many.

372.000 watched the final, that's only two thirds of last year when Ukraine won.

479.000 watched the semifinal on Thursday.

In 2019, the Eurovision final was watched by over a million Danish viewers.

ESC94

372.000 watched the final, that's only two thirds of last year when Ukraine won.

479.000 watched the semifinal on Thursday.

In 2019, the Eurovision final was watched by over a million Danish viewers.

That sounds like a new negative record.

Semra

In terms of Eurovision, I think two of the important differences between Denmark on the one hand and Norway and Sweden on the other, are:
- Their music industry in general has been much more successful in the last 20 years than Denmark's - that's reflected in the results at Eurovision
- There is a steady base of respected artists, and they are not stigmatized just because of their participation in song competitions, as they tend to get in Denmark.
Good points.
I was hoping after seeing artists like Duncan, Loreen, Gjon's Tears, Barbara Pravi and especially Måneskin... the Danes would see the show IS a serious one with some great quality. And even with a possibility of wider success afterwards. I want them back obviously, showing their best:)

jatojo

Good points.
I was hoping after seeing artists like Duncan, Loreen, Gjon's Tears, Barbara Pravi and especially Måneskin... the Danes would see the show IS a serious one with some great quality. And even with a possibility of wider success afterwards. I want them back obviously, showing their best:)

I can only say that at the moment, Loreen is outside the top 10 on the track list and airplay list in Denmark, while there are three Eurovision songs on VG-listen. I think that in itself tells us something about the difference between Denmark and Norway in this regard.

(Of course, the difference may (also) be related to recent Eurovision successes/failures in the two respective countries.)

Andromache

It's normal for interest to decline in countries that haven't done well in years. Croatia is a good example. They had great ratings this year because people were rooting for Let 3 and wanted to see them. The danish broadcaster needs to work on the NF. The NF needs better entries. I watched the show this year (mostly, they kicked the non-danish people out of the stream) and I only kinda liked Nicklas Sonne's song and even that was just "okay" in comparison to what the other three nordic countries delivered. I hope Denmark gets some exciting results again.

jatojo

It's normal for interest to decline in countries that haven't done well in years. Croatia is a good example. They had great ratings this year because people were rooting for Let 3 and wanted to see them. The danish broadcaster needs to work on the NF. The NF needs better entries. I watched the show this year (mostly, they kicked the non-danish people out of the stream) and I only kinda liked Nicklas Sonne's song and even that was just "okay" in comparison to what the other three nordic countries delivered. I hope Denmark gets some exciting results again.

The Danish Eurovision ambitions are to qualify for the final. Maybe not each year, but as often as possible. I don't recall any official ambitions about making the top 10 or something like that.

Comparing any country to Norway, Sweden and Finland is a harsh one, since those three nations are probably the strongest Eurovision nations of them all at the moment.

Semra

The Danish Eurovision ambitions are to qualify for the final. Maybe not each year, but as often as possible. I don't recall any official ambitions about making the top 10 or something like that.

Comparing any country to Norway, Sweden and Finland is a harsh one, since those three nations are probably the strongest Eurovision nations of them all at the moment.

Yes. It's just that something feels off when Denmark is not part of our "gang";)
You belong in our Nordic family (of success). Maybe next year someone will surprise us...

jatojo

Yes. It's just that something feels off when Denmark is not part of our "gang";)
You belong in our Nordic family (of success). Maybe next year someone will surprise us...

Who knows - they might go back to buying some Swedish left-overs (I personally would regard that as a sign of inadequacy). Or maybe Lise Cabble shows up with something. And then hopefully they'll find an experienced singer.

Top Bottom