Contact us

CZECH REPUBLIC 2013 - not taking part

A-lister

Veteran
It's true our countries are very similar regarding nationalism and religion. The difference is that Sweden has a long and very successful Eurovision history. It's a tradition. The whole family watches Eurovision, small kids watch it because their parents like it and have watched it for many years. Or am I wrong? This "tradition" is missing here. ESC fan bases in Sweden and other western European countries have been built for decades. I think Eurovision would not be as huge if you joined in late 00's. Other countries which joined later (mostly eastern/south-eastern) also don't have this tradition, but they are pushed and motivated by their national pride.

We need to start this "tradition" here first and build the fanbase. But it's impossible because our broadcaster doesn't want to take part in this and the few hundreds or thousands of ESC fans here are not able to change public opinion, without the help of medias.

It's true that building up a tradition helps, but you still find 'newer' countries that didn't build up that tradition still taking part (Poland and Hungary for instance). I mean everyone starts at one point, even Sweden wasn't one of the absolute first ones (yet ESC is more popular here than in the very initial countries).

But lack of tradition and attachment to the contest didn't stop countries entering in the mid 90's? I might be wrong, but Estonia is also a country that is often referred to "not very nationalist or religious", but they also entered quite freshly after the Soviet breakdown.

I mean a journey starts at some point, and I would find it more logical if Czech Republic would have withdrawn after many failed attemps (as Slovakia and Hungary did), but I'm still clueless to why Czech Republic never entered in the 90's together with those other Central and Eastern ex- communist countries. I don't find the Czech situation back then that much different than Hungary's or Poland's for instance, also Czech Republic was always very ambitious to be a part of the Western/European family again after the communist breakdown, so I don't see why there would have been political lack of incitements for entering either?

BGN

I think that the problem with Czech Republic is not with the mentality of the people, but with the internal situation in their broadcaster which is responsible for the ESC participation.
Bulgaria and Czech rep. have many in common when we talk about Eurovision. We were one of the last Eastern countries which debuted in the contest (2005) and the first participations were total disaster with the results and the public opinion. But our broadcaster continued participation even with extremely bad results since our debut (except 2007). Something more - they put a lot of effort to change the public opinion and the results of these efforts are visible now - completely improved rating figures even without traditions and success in the contest.
So it's all about the broadcaster's attitude. Czech television has different opinion about Eurovision and the place of the contest in their programme.
But this could change in the future.

nofuxCZ

Jaký je mezi českými interprety zájem o Eurovizi?
Same as Eurovision Club Slovakia, guys at escportal.cz approached many Czech artists and asked them:
"If you had the chance, would you represent Czech Republic at ESC?"

Alžeběta Kolečkářová: "I'm definitely interested in representing CR at ESC" Alžběta Kolečkářová - Sotva dýchám
Anna K: "I'm very sorry, but I'm not interested. I try to avoid shows like this all my life. I don't mean it in a derogatory way, it's just my taste is completely different"
David Deyl: "David Deyl is interested in representing CR at ESC" (answer via his manager)
David Deyl - Lež a nech si lhát, David Deyl - Akorát
Koblížc!: "I think we would be interested. So Koblížc! agrees!"
Koblížc! - Ty a já, Koblížc! - Už mě nenajdou :lol:
Kryštof: "Our band has 7 members and we play only live. Therefore we can't take part" :( :(
Leona Šenková: "Leona was already interested this year" (answer via her manager) Leona Šenková - Věřím Andělům
Markéta Poulíčková: "I'd like to take part even though I've already tried it in the NF few years ago when I finished on 2nd place behind Kabát. (...)" Markéta Poulíčková - Jen Jednou (is this song a cover? I'm not sure), LBP - Story of Life (her 2007 NF song)
Martin Chodúr: "Invitation to the NF or to represent CR at ESC would be much welcomed by Martin. (...)" (asnwer via his manager) Martin Chodúr - Let's Celebrate
Memphis: "For all the members of our band I can confirm that we would gladly perform at ESC. Our relationship to the contest is positive." Memphis - Sunshine
Václav Noid Bárta: "The answer is YES!" (answer via his manager) :eek: Václav Noid Bárta - V horečkách, Václav Noid Bárta - Když to nečekáš, Noid - Smrt (his band)
Verona: "For our group I can say that we would definitely go for ESC!" :eek: Verona - Hey Boy, Verona - Ztracená Bloudím
Xindl X: "We are not interested"

From this list I would choose Václav Noid Bárta, Verona or David Deyl. I'm actually quite shocked that Noid and Verona are interested.
Verona seem to be very popular among ESC fans (People from abroad suggested them very often for ESC).
Václav Noid Bárta is a great live singer, although he is mostly rocker, he can sing everything.

Some artists might answer later, I will post their reaction then.
Czech TV has one less excuse - they really can't say there is no interest among artists.

PS: There are rumors that there might be a joint Czech-Slovak national final in the future (of course, if CR joins). I think that would be awesome and more attractive for viewers!

A-lister

Veteran
^
And are these names popular names or what? Verona is known abroad because they had some minor hits in some markets (I even think Verona entered the Swedish MF once :lol:), however they're probably picked by ESC fans because they are somewhat known, not because they're the most popular. Most Czech acts are totally unknown so xshrug

A joint Czech-Slovak national final? How would that work even? Will they have two winners?

nofuxCZ

^
And are these names popular names or what? Verona is known abroad because they had some minor hits in some markets (I even think Verona entered the Swedish MF once :lol:), however they're probably picked by ESC fans because they are somewhat known, not because they're the most popular. Most Czech acts are totally unknown so xshrug

All these names are known here, but from the ones that would be interested in ESC, only Verona and David Deyl are really big here.

A joint Czech-Slovak national final? How would that work even? Will they have two winners?
Yeah, there would be 2 winners. Czech song with the most votes would represent CR, Slovak song with the most votes would represent Slovakia. It was mentioned in one interview with the head of Slovak RTVS. I think it's a good idea :)

A-lister

Veteran
Yeah, there would be 2 winners. Czech song with the most votes would represent CR, Slovak song with the most votes would represent Slovakia. It was mentioned in one interview with the head of Slovak RTVS. I think it's a good idea :)

I see, that could be interesting perhaps. As long as it wouldn't turn into a Evropesma situation with just one winner and a bitter battle between the two countries :lol:

Sabiondo

Jaký je mezi českými interprety zájem o Eurovizi?
Same as Eurovision Club Slovakia, guys at escportal.cz approached many Czech artists and asked them:
"If you had the chance, would you represent Czech Republic at ESC?"

Alžeběta Kolečkářová: "I'm definitely interested in representing CR at ESC" Alžběta Kolečkářová - Sotva dýchám
Anna K: "I'm very sorry, but I'm not interested. I try to avoid shows like this all my life. I don't mean it in a derogatory way, it's just my taste is completely different"
David Deyl: "David Deyl is interested in representing CR at ESC" (answer via his manager)
David Deyl - Lež a nech si lhát, David Deyl - Akorát
Koblížc!: "I think we would be interested. So Koblížc! agrees!"
Koblížc! - Ty a já, Koblížc! - Už mě nenajdou :lol:
Kryštof: "Our band has 7 members and we play only live. Therefore we can't take part" :( :(
Leona Šenková: "Leona was already interested this year" (answer via her manager) Leona Šenková - Věřím Andělům
Markéta Poulíčková: "I'd like to take part even though I've already tried it in the NF few years ago when I finished on 2nd place behind Kabát. (...)" Markéta Poulíčková - Jen Jednou (is this song a cover? I'm not sure), LBP - Story of Life (her 2007 NF song)
Martin Chodúr: "Invitation to the NF or to represent CR at ESC would be much welcomed by Martin. (...)" (asnwer via his manager) Martin Chodúr - Let's Celebrate
Memphis: "For all the members of our band I can confirm that we would gladly perform at ESC. Our relationship to the contest is positive." Memphis - Sunshine
Václav Noid Bárta: "The answer is YES!" (answer via his manager) :eek: Václav Noid Bárta - V horečkách, Václav Noid Bárta - Když to nečekáš, Noid - Smrt (his band)
Verona: "For our group I can say that we would definitely go for ESC!" :eek: Verona - Hey Boy, Verona - Ztracená Bloudím
Xindl X: "We are not interested"

From this list I would choose Václav Noid Bárta, Verona or David Deyl. I'm actually quite shocked that Noid and Verona are interested.
Verona seem to be very popular among ESC fans (People from abroad suggested them very often for ESC).
Václav Noid Bárta is a great live singer, although he is mostly rocker, he can sing everything.

Some artists might answer later, I will post their reaction then.
Czech TV has one less excuse - they really can't say there is no interest among artists.

PS: There are rumors that there might be a joint Czech-Slovak national final in the future (of course, if CR joins). I think that would be awesome and more attractive for viewers!

Im all to see Verona in the future at ESC :)

CC92

A song by Verona, Hey boy, is taking part in the current edition of an online contest (not on this forum) I participate in and I must say it is dreadful in all respects.

CC92

^ The original is much nicer though. Partly due to the lack of embarrassing lyrics I think. :D

Top Bottom