Contact us

Current Member Roster & How to join the Waiting List

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
nscroster.png

01 ::adb Adamsburg (NSC 2 - NSC 91, NSC 177 - current)
02 ::aim Aimūlli (NSC 129 - current)
03 ::aka Akatsuki (NSC 219 - current)
04 ::bal Balearica Island (NSC 42 - current)
05 ::beg Begonia (NSC 5 - NSC 48, NSC 122 - current) has to confirm NSC 227 ◆
::bel Belvist (NSC 5 - NSC 58, NSC 125 - NSC 127, NSC 191 - current)
07 ::bif Biflovatia (NSC 108 - current)
08 ::cal Calypso (NSC 7 - current) has to confirm NSC 227 ◆
::che Cherniya (NSC 92 - current)
10 ::com Comino (NSC 7 - NSC 17, NSC 27 - current)
11 ::cyd Cydoni-Gibberia (NSC 20 - current)
12 ::dal Dalisska (NSC 24 - NSC 90, NSC 118 - NSC 151, NSC 201 - current)
13 ::dos Denmark of Spears (NSC 90 - NSC 218, NSC 221 - current)
14 ::doi Doire (NSC 74 - current)
15 ::eff Effiland (NSC 8 - NSC 53, NSC 206 - current)
16 ::elv Elvaci (NSC 102 - NSC 217, NSC 223 - current) has to confirm NSC 227 ◆
::end Endórë (NSC 209 - current)
18 ::fer Fervorosia (NSC 21 - current)
19 ::fie Fierraria (NSC 218 - current)
20 ::gds Grand Duchy of Strenci (NSC 226 - current)
20 ::grf Griffin Empire (NSC 204 - current)
21 ::hal Halito (NSC 10 - current)
22 ::ill Illumia (NSC 83 - NSC 130, NSC 153 - NSC 156, NSC 219 - current)
23 ::ins Insomnéa (NSC 96 - current)
24 ::kam Kamandé (NSC 57 - NSC 74, NSC 124 - current)
25 ::kon Konthena (NSC 218 - current)
26 ::slf Kordavian Islands (NSC 109 - current)
27 ::mrc Marcobia (NSC 227 - current)
27 ::mat MatiMati (NSC 154 - current)
28 ::moi Moisantia (NSC 93 - NSC 117, NSC 150 - current)
29 ::nec Necluda (NSC 227 - current)
29 ::nac New Acadia (NSC 52 - NSC 154, NSC 211 - current)
30 ::nbs New Bander State (NSC 149 - current)
31 ::oos Öösingimäed (NSC 51 - NSC 120, NSC 209 - current)
32 ::ora Orangualia (NSC 56 - current)
34 ::pap Papendink (NSC 83 - NSC 176, NSC 224 - current)
36 ::per Perryfornia (NSC 65 - current)
37 ::rah Rahasia-Diati (NSC 148 - current)
38 ::red Redwood Republic (NSC 177 - current)
39 ::rld Reym-L-Dneurb (NSC 1 - NSC 52, NSC 65 - NSC 152, NSC 206 - current)
40 ::ros Roseland (NSC 56 - current)
41 ::rum Rumia (NSC 55 - current)
42 ::sak Sakuralia (NSC 122 - current)
43 ::ser Serenes (NSC 143 - current)
44 ::sla Södermalm (NSC 216 - current)
45 ::svo Svobodnia (NSC 169 - current)
46 ::szk Szimbaya Kingdom (NSC 188 - current)
47 ::tad Tamausia & Deltannor (NSC 188 - current) has to confirm NSC 227 ◆
::tan Tanoiro (NSC 176 - current)
49 ::tch Tcher-Racoi (NSC 203 - current)
50 ::taa Tír an Abhainn (NSC 16 - current) has to confirm NSC 227 ◆
::tro Trollheimr (NSC 105 - current)
53 ::ugl Ugaly (NSC 4 - current)
54 ::vyl Vylkuzeme (NSC 109 - current)
55 ::wsn Waiting Iist of Shelley & Nici (NSC 51 - NSC 168, NSC 222 - current)
56 ::xhu Xhuxhmaxhuxh (NSC 39 - NSC 62, NSC 119 - NSC 153, NSC 219 - current)
57 ::xoc Xochimilia (NSC 219 - current)
58 ::yap Yaponesia (NSC 6 - current)
59 ::yyy Yeto-Ya-Yeto (NSC 55 - current)
60 ::zom Zombira (NSC 10 - NSC 170, NSC 219 - current)

Last update: March 29th, 2024

Text version of the roster for copy/paste purposes

Clicking on a flag icon will redirect you to the respective country's official thread.
Nations that miss 2 editions in a row will be removed and replaced with the nation at the top of the Waiting List (see below).

RESOURCES

FLAGS || POTS || MAP || WIKI || DATABASE

nscwaitinglist.png

01. soundofsilence (Afnia) WLSC 269 NSC 227? failed to vote NSC 226
02. MiraShadowMan (Rehi Kaita) NSC 227?
03. Gera11 (Federal Republic of Meridia) NSC 227? WLSC 267, 268, 269
04. Sultana (Bála Kunmenai) NSC 227? WLSC 268, 269
05. hjarnskakning (Qomos) NSC 227?
06. Destroyer (United Kingdom of Destrion)
07. marduk (Vermilion)

Last update: March 29th, 2024

Nations or members in cyan have entered NSC at least once before.

Waiting list (WL) rules:

• Voting in each final of NSC as part of the waiting list jury is compulsory.
  • Any waiting list nations who fail to vote will be moved 2 places down on the list.
  • Nations who fail to vote 2 finals in a row will be removed from the list.
  • Under certain circumstances waiting list nations can take a break from voting in the finals if a solid reason is given. During that period of time the position of the nation on the waiting list remains frozen and it can move neither up nor down.
  • Nations with 'NSC XXX' beside them will debut/return in the next contest.
  • Nations with 'NSC XXX?' beside them can send a reserve entry to the next contest.

nscjoin.png

First of all, welcome to NSC! If you have any questions regarding the contest, feel free to post them in this thread or ask one of the mods: @Stargazer, @berlyda or @Veronika.

In order to get familiar with the contest, please take a look at the RULES!

If you want to apply for a place in NSC (or if you want to return), simply send a PM to Stargazer - you'll be added to the waiting list (see above).

Please note that you are probably going to be waiting for a long time as there is a strong demand for spots on the roster. In the meantime, you may enter the Waiting List contest, vote in the semi-finals of NSC and take part in the various spin-off contests if you wish to. Don't forget that voting in the finals is compulsory.

And most importantly: Have fun! :mrgreen:

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
The current length of the WL is entirely due to the cancellation of ESC, combined with the corona virus quarantine/lockdown. It had been sitting at roughly 7-10 people for the past year at least, and only just doubled in size in literally the past month. But even so, it's not the first time we've had a WL approaching 20 people. We've even had close to 30 people on the WL in the past.

Even if you're at the bottom of the list now, sooner or later there will be movement and you'll find yourself going up the list, whether it's through nations joining the roster or those above you failing to vote (or withdrawing from the list). We've all been there (or most of us at least) and we all made it in the end.

I'd agree with those who already said it here that we shouldn't decrease the quality and the enjoyment of the contest for those already on the roster at any given time (which will include all you WLers in the future once you get to join us), just for the sake of some quick solutions that wouldn't really solve anything long term. I've had to endure playing with 3 semi finals in WV and would never in a million years recommend it. It sucked all enjoyment out of the contest and made it into a complete chore and drag.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
One more thing: even if you let the entire WL in all at once, it won't stay empty for more than 5 minutes. There are unseen potential participants who won't apply because they're put off by the waiting time, and they'd fill the WL up in an instant if it was reduced to zero. I think we should think with broader perspective and with further time horizon in mind.

It may seem weird but while I'm open to the idea of quarterfinals, my opinion on a small enlargement always was and still is no-never-over-my-dead-body-fucking-no-or-i'll-throw-a-tantrum-no The reason is that a major change may actually solve the problem. A small kneejerk response solves absolutely nothing. Say, you let 6 people in -> 6 people are happy to skip some waiting time -> the waiting time for new applicants remains just as long as before -> and you just made NSC slightly less enjoyable for everyone else for the rest of eternity.

Yep, this is exactly why I don't think it's worth it. It's simply not a long-term solution. The one tiny advantage would be that if the roster size increases 10%, then (assuming the withdrawal rate remains the same) there will be 10% more nations withdrawing each decade and hence the WL will shorten 10% quicker.

Uto

Veteran
While all the contemplations given above are really insightful and I very much appreciate the time and effort taken by everyone to lay down their arguments I think the current situation is very unlikely to be the best compromise in existence. I appreciate that the current situation works for the members that are a part of this now. If history has shown it to be true that 3 semis gives a bad result I don't have much to argue, I wasn't there for the experience it gave and it seems reasonable that it could. I can only assert that the situation for aspiring members isn't nice right now. The perspective is that you have to pretty much pretend to be interested in a competition that has none of your horses running. There is of course the prospect of finding music you like, but it's a hard sell regardless. A system where the WL competition is used as a prequalifier for like 2 spots per semis would do wonders in that regard, might also waive the requirement to vote in the final of the NSC.

If nothing happens someone like me is looking at god knows how long of just waiting for a spot to open up, after which I would still feel bad about everyone who has to sit through the same thing. Maybe I'm pessimistic beyond what is reasonable, in that case I apologize, but understand that I have no way of knowing.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
A system where the WL competition is used as a prequalifier for like 2 spots per semis would do wonders in that regard, might also waive the requirement to vote in the final of the NSC.

The first option has already been tried in some form, and only lasted a few editions before we got rid of it. It was suggested again later but was very unpopular. Of course I'm always open to revisiting ideas, but I doubt that will go anywhere.

The second option would just break the WL system.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
While all the contemplations given above are really insightful and I very much appreciate the time and effort taken by everyone to lay down their arguments I think the current situation is very unlikely to be the best compromise in existence. I appreciate that the current situation works for the members that are a part of this now. If history has shown it to be true that 3 semis gives a bad result I don't have much to argue, I wasn't there for the experience it gave and it seems reasonable that it could. I can only assert that the situation for aspiring members isn't nice right now. The perspective is that you have to pretty much pretend to be interested in a competition that has none of your horses running. There is of course the prospect of finding music you like, but it's a hard sell regardless. A system where the WL competition is used as a prequalifier for like 2 spots per semis would do wonders in that regard, might also waive the requirement to vote in the final of the NSC.

If nothing happens someone like me is looking at god knows how long of just waiting for a spot to open up, after which I would still feel bad about everyone who has to sit through the same thing. Maybe I'm pessimistic beyond what is reasonable, in that case I apologize, but understand that I have no way of knowing.
We don't have "any of our horses running" in ESC either, but we still have favorite songs each year that we root for and would like to vote for. The same can be said for the NSC final when you're on the WL. And also, not only does it give WL members a chance to really get to know the contest before joining, it also helps "weed out" non-serious participants from those who are serious and who really plan to stick around for the long haul.

Included under the "How to join" headline there's a warning issued that you will be on the waiting list for a long time, so everyone who joins the WL should already know this (hopefully). :)

dogmeat

A system where the WL competition is used as a prequalifier for like 2 spots per semis would do wonders in that regard, might also waive the requirement to vote in the final of the NSC.
Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate that you're giving ideas and I encourage you to continue to do so - maybe eventually a solution that satisfies everyone will come out of that.
But the thing you're talking about was already tried in early days of NSC and everybody hated it until it was replaced by WL, to everyone's relief. And I find it funny how every now and then someone new comes and suggests this very thing xD

theditz83

Veteran
I waited just under a year to graduate to the main roster the first time I joined the WL, and I'm sure there were something like fourteen or fifteen nations in front of me at the time I joined.

As others have already said, some nations ahead of me failed to vote in NSC finals or simply lost interest and were taken off the WL while others graduated to the main contest ahead of me, but I can honestly say that I didn't ever regret or resent any of my time on the WL. I used it as a useful training period, learning the rules and songs/styles that performed well so I knew what might work from my vast arsenal of potential entries when I finally made it into the contest.

But I also made some good friends on the WL (Bigicia and Moisantia were WL graduates very close together, so always have that affinity with Gera) and it's another one of the reasons that I still submit entries to the WLSC contest so that I can keep making new friends while helping them find their feet in the community and discovering even more awesome new songs. But maybe that's just me.

I think if you enter this contest with a view that you'll be part of the community for the long-term, then you'll be just fine. If you want it to be like WorldVision with a two edition observation period and then bang you're straight in, you'll just be disappointed.

I have no idea what the best scenario is as a catch-all since I don't think you'll ever see a resolution that will suit ever single person in the community, but discussion is always good to have so long as everyone has the ability to push forward their own ideas and suggestions effectively. xup

Uto

Veteran
We don't have "any of our horses running" in ESC either, but we still have favorite songs each year that we root for and would like to vote for. The same can be said for the NSC final when you're on the WL.

This comparison can hardly be called valid due to the difference in scope.
And also, not only does it give WL members a chance to really get to know the contest before joining, it also helps "weed out" non-serious participants from those who are serious and who really plan to stick around for the long haul.

You also weed out potential contributing members who lack patience. It would help if one would know how long this long haul would be. I understand that this luxury isn't there, but it's just that the given argument here is weak. NSC is full and if it wishes to remain concise WL members have to bear the brunt of that. It is a valid choice to give preference to existing members. That is the argument to be given, not that WL members have to have their patience tested.
Included under the "How to join" headline there's a warning issued that you will be on the waiting list for a long time, so everyone who joins the WL should already know this (hopefully). :)
It is, there is no unfairness involved. I only asked for consideration to be given. I had thought the current situation unpleasant for everyone involved. It is being considered, my point was acknowledged, but changes are not wanted for various decent reasons. That is okay.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
This comparison can hardly be called valid due to the difference in scope.

You also weed out potential contributing members who lack patience. It would help if one would know how long this long haul would be. I understand that this luxury isn't there, but it's just that the given argument here is weak. NSC is full and if it wishes to remain concise WL members have to bear the brunt of that. It is a valid choice to give preference to existing members. That is the argument to be given, not that WL members have to have their patience tested.
It is, there is no unfairness involved. I only asked for consideration to be given. I had thought the current situation unpleasant for everyone involved. It is being considered, my point was acknowledged, but changes are not wanted for various decent reasons. That is okay.
There is no clear answer as to how long your wait will be, since there are so many different factors that go into it, and will be different for each WL nation. But some of those factors will be due to you as well. If you fail to vote in a final, you'll get bumped down two places. Those two places down could mean several extra months of waiting time. If you fail to vote in several finals while on the WL (at different intervals), then you can easily see how that extra waiting time will add up quickly.

Most spend about a year on the waiting list, give or take. For some it's been 6 months, for others it's even been 18+ months. I failed to vote once during my 14 months on the waiting list, and as I result I missed out on three whole editions of NSC (joining at 105 instead of 102), which is roughly three extra months spent on the waiting list. But during that time I had enormous amount of fun participating in WLSC and I really got to know the NSC community through the joint Skype group chat, so when I finally joined I already felt like I was part of the family, so to speak.

TAFKAJ

As a person who has been in and then out again, - I see no issue with the waiting list, the last time I joined I was around the 20th spot back in 2010, took me roughly 7-8 months (I think, it was 10 years ago) to reach the main roster but the NSC was in hot demand back then and was even as Anna said 30+ Eurovision season will come and go, and the waiting list will go down to 7-10 nations again, and those who want it enough will stay patient.

I can say from experience it is worth the wait, and I did enjoy the contest very much

JamieBrown

xcookie I second that. I waited a year and then all out of sudden 4 nations left and I got lucky to join. We just have to make the best out of it.

I'm also against bigger finals or semis. I think it's alright the size it is. Three SF's should only happen with 10 qualifiers from each and that final (36) would be a mess then imo.

Veronika

NSC Mod
Staff member
I'm against any changes of this kind. I mean 3 semis, enlarging the roster etc. The reasons were already cited: too many songs to listen, harder to remember and rate them (may lead to discomfort with points distribution), harder to qualify, more job for hosts: just imagine, we don't see banners from many of the hosts now, but with 70+ participants we may not see banners from anyone at all! :(
In my opinion, 60 is an optimal number and everything is perfect as it is. WL is an essential part of the contest. NSC isn't NSC without WL, imo.

It may be rather a personal matter, but I think if you really love NSC, you'll wait with no complaints. :)
I was waiting for 2 years to join the main roster, but I don't remember myself complaining about that. Of course, I really wanted to join and start participating in NSC, but to me being on the WL was never a torture or smth like that. On the contrary, I was super interested just to listen to NSC, because I really loved the contest itself. If I loved a song, I was rooting for it like for myself.

So, voting in the finals wasn't like an unpleasant obligation to me. Btw I also loved doing different statistics based on my voting as a part of the WL. :mrgreen: And I'm not even mentioning WLSC and Spinoffs!
Ofc I'm not trying to persuade anyone to take it as an example to follow, because, as I said, this is a personal matter (I just shared what I was feeling being on the WL), but I'm sure that there are a lot of other crazy people like me here. :mrgreen:

PS I found a screenshot with the WL from 2015, a couple of editions after I joined. 23 nations. #sweetmemories
Btw, when I just joined I was #24 out of 25. :mrgreen:

doctormalisimo

The Waiting List system just does appear to be optimal - different proposals throughout the years would have made NSC more complex, or less fun, less fair, or just completely changed the concept of the contest, which is why we've never agreed upon another strategy.

It does suck being on the waiting list of an oversubscribed contest, but please don't think you're not a valued member of the community while you wait. Feel free to participate as much as you can by voting in semis, WLSC, spin offs, FiCs, etc and get to know everyone. Most people in the community are all too familiar with the sucky WL wait :p

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
So I (:ar:v) don't have to skip 181 after failing to vote in my semi?

Nope, you can take part. The automatic last place was your penalty. Disqualification from the next edition only happens if the auto-last is not applicable (i.e. you got stuck in the semis and didn't vote in the final). You can think of the auto-last place as a disqualification from the current edition.

Top Bottom