7 3.9%

21 11.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeus

Very mediocre, as expected. The only one who I find somewhat interesting is Gala Dragot, probably with the 2nd song.

EscGeek

Veteran
Chérine with "Ça m’ennuie pas" for me xcheer

Sorry my girl Loredana, but you stole two useless filler songs from Malta and/or Lithuania :ROFLMAO:

edit:

Hunter Falls "Ooh La La" and The Starlings "Oceanside" are possibly fire too

Last edited:

simori95

I see potential for some of the songs, strongly depending on what happens outside of the snippets, but most of them are indeed a bit meh. From the snippets alone, I see a lot of potential for The Starlings‘ and Gala‘s songs, but everything would have to be perfect (staging, progression of the songs, vocals etc.). Other than that, if she puts on a show maybe Ameerah has a shot, and a French song could please some people so I don’t want to rule Chérine out, but she’s not my vibe, personally.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Eh, it's not that bad. Bear in mind that (1) the snippets are very short (2) they're performances on a stage, not stage performances. The real NF will be better than this.

Having said that, lol Belgium are not winning with this and if that were their ambition then VRT have learned nothing from the past two editions. You'll have to do a bit better than midrange radio pop or dated early 2000s dance to win it.

Subscribing to the altar of Ca m'ennuie pas, can't WAIT for it to be robbed by something worse (any of the others)

ESC94

I´m gonna wait for the full songs to give a rating, but I kinda liked both Starlings snippets and "Ooh La La" (not very deep but enjoyable and catchy). :)

Biste

Rollercoaster really sounds like Ed Sheeran's I see fire to me. With is not necessarily bad. It sounds very well and gives it a sense of familiarity, even though you hear it for the first time. As said earlier, the chorus of Oceanside is lazy and has the potential to drag a good song down to a just decent (= not good enough for esc).

Loredana is a big fat nothing. Her slower song is perfect for a Disney song or the soundtrack of some stupid romcom movie. The drop for her uptempo song is a letdown for me.

I actually like the songs of Gustaph, but don't like him as a performer. Too cliché for my liking. But with a dynamic staging with dancers, I see potential here.

Hunter falls likes the letter O it seems. Oh la la can work in my opinion with some kind of "dirtier" performance; just sell the sex here. I can see Home do a Snap. Bad final at ESC, but become a radiohit. Not sure of him as performer, he must connect with the audience/camera somehow. In this short snippet, his eyes are closed a lot.

Ameerah with voice effects in the backing vocal of Greece last year :D Find her songs very difficult to judge on the short snippets.

Chérine can switch dresses or we know the Barbara Dex Award winner already lol. Nice 80's inspired song and popsong, but something easily overlooked in a bigger pool of songs I am afraid.

Gala really depends on the atmosphere she will be able (or not) to create. Obviously very Billie Eilish's James Bond song-esque, but after Sennek and Hooverphonic, I would like VRT to send something else.

randajad

Veteran
Based on those snippets there are a few demos, a few boring ones and a few annoying ones. I kinda like the Tom Dice one and Cherine.

Ajeje Brazorf

"Ça m'ennuie pas" gives me "J'aime la vie" vibes... Interesting. But I think in the end Gala Dragot will represent Belgium, I don't know with which one of her songs...

FabiESC

My Ranking so far based on the snippets.....

01 Chérine – Mon étoile 9/10
02 Ameerah – The Carnival 9/10
03 Chérine – Ça m’ennuie pas 7/10
04 Loredana – You Lift Me Up 6/10
05 Gustaph – The Nail 6/10
06 The Starlings – Oceanside 5/10
07 The Starlings – Rollercoaster 4/10
08 Ameerah – Armageddon 4/10
09 gala dragot – t‘inquiète 4/10
10 Gustaph – Because Of You 3/10
11 gala dragot – emotion ollie 3/10
12 Loredana – Dream In Colours 2/10
13 Hunter Falls – Ooh La La 2/10
14 Hunter Falls – Home 1/10

I was happy to hear that Belgium do an NF, but this looks like a German NF mediocre Pop songs, not many special songs. Mon étoile and The Carnival stands out for me, they are great songs. Chérine is the only one who has 2 Good Songs in the race. Ameerah wants go with The Carnival into final, when i hear the other song. I had high hopes in Loredana, but nothing to talk about...

mauve

Veteran
I don't know if thiswas posted here already: but the way the artists choose their song:

After the 14 potential contributions for the Belgian preliminary decision Eurosong 2023 were published last week, the responsible television broadcaster VRT has now also announced how the decision is made as to which of the two songs that are still in the running the seven acts will sing: this decision is the responsibility of the artists themselves, such as the Starlings (lead photo). However, they must first seek advice from their competitors.
You have to give that to the Belgian television station VRT: it is open to new selection methods and uses the ESC preliminary decision optimally to fill its own (pre-)evening program. When the 14 potential final songs were released, it was left open when and how the decision would be made as to which song each act would sing. It's not that easy, but in the end it's in the hands of the artists:
The station invites all seven acts to a "remote place" in Doornik (French: Tournai) on the French border. A kind of club is set up there for the candidates, in which they perform their two songs in front of the other finalists. The others then discuss which of the two titles is better for the preliminary decision. Ultimately, however, the competitors have no say, but the acts decide for themselves, as I said, which song they want to compete with.
Now it's getting a bit tricky: In this remote location in Doornik, VRT also records several programs in which the final acts are presented to TV viewers in the week before the preliminary decision. This happens at prime time after the 7 p.m. news. In this recorded broadcast, the acts then also announce their decision as to which of the two songs is the competition title.
In other words, over the course of the week before January 14th, the day of the preliminary decision, we will gradually learn the final competition entries. We will of course keep you informed about this.
In any case, the twist that the other candidates are allowed to give their opinion on the two songs is interesting. That can be honest and well-intentioned or - as with some parlor games - unsettle the others or lead them completely down the wrong path. But of course we count on the good in people and on the fact that the best song wins in the end.

source:

ESC94

Especially this passage - does it make sense?

"However, they must first seek advice from their competitors."

I mean wouldn't they choose the worser song, so that they have more chances? :unsure:

Yeah, they could do that to have a better chance for themselves.

Btw, "worser" isn´t correct. It goes like this: bad - worse - the worst

Biste

The other contestants aren't picking, they're "advising".

But it's ridiculous anyway. All this will lead to is some sugarcoated stupid tv. As if not all artists already know the song they're going to compete with in the final, like they will actually take into account what the other contestants are saying...
Only thing they may be influenced by is some of the bubble's feedback on the snippets that are out.

Realest

Based on these Snippets its Cherine for me with "Ca m'ennuie pas"

Top Bottom