Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
Idk if it's been said yet, but officially the EBU wont ban BTRC and therefore Belarus

Of course they didn't, EBU has zero morals it's all about the cash, these flashy slogans and big talk about humanism etc. clearly don't mean anything.

This year we'll have two countries entering that are currently directly involved in war crimes against other Eurovision countries and a third that is torturing its own people (on top of a bunch of other pseudo democracies... but ok let's leave them to the side for now... there is no 100% democratic state out there) and EBU's concern is zero.

Last edited:
Even if politics has always been an essential part of EBU (both how the ESC is constructed and how EBU unites the entire continent as a political block), but I can't see why banning a broadcaster for its societal values would benefit the union in the long run. Pushing countries like Russia and Azerbaijan out of the union would alienate them from us even more. The entire point of this is just to build bridges and improve the overall human conditions in more unfortunate countries like Belarus to keep them out from political extremism like the far-left/right. It's all about inviting everyone to the "party" and still making a profit from it.
Yes, @A-lister... EBU is a soulless corporation that only cares about economical growth like everything else, it's obvious. But we cannot alienate others because of our own bias. We could easily a Turkey-esque situation when the alienated nation would become even more corrupted and isolated because we gave them the finger. How other cultures see human rights and economic security is hard to argue because even the western world can fail in that regard too.

A-lister

Veteran
Even if politics has always been an essential part of EBU (both how the ESC is constructed and how EBU unites the entire continent as a political block), but I can't see why banning a broadcaster for its societal values would benefit the union in the long run. Pushing countries like Russia and Azerbaijan out of the union would alienate them from us even more. The entire point of this is just to build bridges and improve the overall human conditions in more unfortunate countries like Belarus to keep them out from political extremism like the far-left/right. It's all about inviting everyone to the "party" and still making a profit from it.
Yes, @A-lister... EBU is a soulless corporation that only cares about economical growth like everything else, it's obvious. But we cannot alienate others because of our own bias. We could easily a Turkey-esque situation when the alienated nation would become even more corrupted and isolated because we gave them the finger. How other cultures see human rights and economic security is hard to argue because even the western world can fail in that regard too.

How noble, and while I applaud your idealism, the world doesn't work like this unfortunately. It's actually only with tough sanctions and alienation that you show what is acceptable and what is not, right now EBU is actually only legitimizing the Belarusian, and Russian, and Azeri (and some other) regimes and that's the sad reality of it all. The Eurovision stage is used by these countries to simply whitewash their image and EBU is playing along with that. It's a huge platform for these regimes to have at their disposal. Turkey didn't leave Eurovision because they were banned, and if I get your reasoning correct, things would have gotten better in countries like Belarus and Russia because they are "included"?, while the reality is completely opposite.

EBU did ban Serbia in the 90's though, so clearly if there is a will... but yeah now there's too much money into it unfortunately.

Last edited:

Mrm

Veteran
@EscGeek

hahahahahahah this one is submitted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
@EscGeek

I have my favourite.

Legit super catchy and we all like to eat sugar balls. I think we've been delivered a hit here everyone.

• Say Yay
Reactions: Mrm

Mimmon

Veteran
@EscGeek

A true guilty pleasure of mine

• Say Yay
How noble, and while I applaud your idealism, the world doesn't work like this unfortunately. It's actually only with tough sanctions and alienation that you show what is acceptable and what is not, right now EBU is actually only legitimizing the Belarusian, and Russian, and Azeri (and some other) regimes and that's the sad reality of it all. The Eurovision stage is used by these countries to simply whitewash their image and EBU is playing along with that. It's a huge platform for these regimes to have at their disposal. Turkey didn't leave Eurovision because they were banned, and if I get your reasoning correct, things would have gotten better in countries like Belarus and Russia because they are "included"?, while the reality is completely opposite.

EBU did ban Serbia in the 90's though, so clearly if there is a will... but yeah now there's too much money into it unfortunately.
You are indeed correct and that's what I mean by saying "EBU is a soulless corporation" and Eurovision is indeed a huge propaganda platform to build a loyal following especially for tourism (like with the hosting of Azerbaijan 2012 and among others).
My point of EBU keeping the Belarusian isn't because of made-up "idealization" but to stabilize the situation. Having Russia or Serbia in EBU does not make them adapt to western values or what we would call it "make them better", having them as EBU members make them stable within the European sphere. The broadcasters make agreements on what to take and give to make the international cooperation work without clashing with different cultural values. Everyone can profit from it, but both you and I know that doesn't always work out. Turkey withdrew because its government wants to isolate itself further from European culture and EBU doesn't do much to prevent this because the Turkish broadcaster probably isn't as profitable enough.

You are right with everything you said but the politics of EBU is nuanced because human rights are perceived differently by other cultures. EBU and EU are evil entities that just keep the European gear running.

A-lister

Veteran
You are indeed correct and that's what I mean by saying "EBU is a soulless corporation" and Eurovision is indeed a huge propaganda platform to build a loyal following especially for tourism (like with the hosting of Azerbaijan 2012 and among others).
My point of EBU keeping the Belarusian isn't because of made-up "idealization" but to stabilize the situation. Having Russia or Serbia in EBU does not make them adapt to western values or what we would call it "make them better", having them as EBU members make them stable within the European sphere. The broadcasters make agreements on what to take and give to make the international cooperation work without clashing with different cultural values. Everyone can profit from it, but both you and I know that doesn't always work out. Turkey withdrew because its government wants to isolate itself further from European culture and EBU doesn't do much to prevent this because the Turkish broadcaster probably isn't as profitable enough.

You are right with everything you said but the politics of EBU is nuanced because human rights are perceived differently by other cultures. EBU and EU are evil entities that just keep the European gear running.

I am not fully sure I got your point, I mean I think I got some of it, but how is allowing these broadcasters to take part "keeping things stable within the European sphere" as you put it? xshrug

Also, I believe that there are some universal human rights, in fact there are UN charters that even these countries signed onto (although clearly don't follow). I think it's a bit of a slippery slope to claim "cultural differences", when it's the regimes that are commiting crimes against their own (or other states') people, and I'm not sure I would apply culture to the regimes, it's more about power and control.

EscGeek

Veteran
@EscGeek

one of my most played songs these days xyaaayxheat

• Say Yay
Top Bottom