11 9.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Austria-scaled.jpg

Iker

Veteran
I‘m not sure if there‘s such a thing as an „ethnic austrian“ :ROFLMAO:

Ummm ... if someone has German speaking parents, grandparents, great-great ... and so on for at least 200 years, and comes from Austria than obviously such person has Austrian roots. Unless they consider themselves German but that would be controversial.

Ezio

Veteran
I consider myself an ethnic Austrian, maybe I have Bavarian blood in my veins, definitely Bohemian, but certainly not Prussian. I refute that Austrians are Germans.

Lindon

And that's where it gets complicated. For example, my mother's family came from a rural area in Upper Austria. But about 250 years ago Maria Theresa - the sovereign of Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Bohemia, Transylvania, Mantua, Milan, Lodomeria and Galicia, the Austrian Netherlands, and Parma - resettled my family, because they were Protestants, to the area of today's Croatia. It made sense to her to get rid of the Protestants from the heartland and at the same time to export the German language in the realm. It wasn't until the Second World War that the, so called "Old-Austrians", had to flee and landed in what was left of Austria after World War One again.
My father's family were Germans from Romania.

Last edited:

Mrm

Veteran
Very interesting topic :love:, but in this thread.. :ROFLMAO:

Lindon

Very interesting topic :love:, but in this thread.. :ROFLMAO:
Because it is the second time since Cesar Sampson that there is a discussion, what is a genuine Austrian. Vincent once described himself as a genuine Austrian with an exotic background. I love him for that statement.

Sammy

Veteran
Ummm ... if someone has German speaking parents, grandparents, great-great ... and so on for at least 200 years, and comes from Austria than obviously such person has Austrian roots. Unless they consider themselves German but that would be controversial.
it's the word "ethnic" that made me laugh. I consider myself Austrian of course but as in the case of @Lindon things are much more diverse, which is - I think - the same for a lot of Austrians. I don't believe in biological foundations for nationalities as the word "ethnic" in this context suggests. There are in fact such things as ethnicities, but they have not necessarily something to do with the country you are a citizen of. 200 years ago speaking german was by no means an indicator to be considered Austrian. And people who lived for generations in the Austrian territory today are Ukrainians, Romanians, Croatians, Slovenes, Czechs, Slovaks or Hungarians. The whole concept of "nation" was only invented in the 19th century and together with it came the features you mentioned that try - in vain - to define an "Austrian".
I don't see why somebody whose parents came from the Philippines, Africa or elsewhere and who was born and raised here, feels connected to the country and the people would be any less "Austrian" than someone whose parents descended from the austro-hungarian monarchy. And I don't see why somebody who has a diverse background would be not a "real" Austrian just because he or she also feels a connection to countries where his or her parents or grandparents came from.
But I apologize (@Mrm) for completely going off-topic here. :lol:

Iker

Veteran
it's the word "ethnic" that made me laugh. I consider myself Austrian of course but as in the case of @Lindon things are much more diverse, which is - I think - the same for a lot of Austrians. I don't believe in biological foundations for nationalities as the word "ethnic" in this context suggests. There are in fact such things as ethnicities, but they have not necessarily something to do with the country you are a citizen of. 200 years ago speaking german was by no means an indicator to be considered Austrian. And people who lived for generations in the Austrian territory today are Ukrainians, Romanians, Croatians, Slovenes, Czechs, Slovaks or Hungarians. The whole concept of "nation" was only invented in the 19th century and together with it came the features you mentioned that try - in vain - to define an "Austrian".
I don't see why somebody whose parents came from the Philippines, Africa or elsewhere and who was born and raised here, feels connected to the country and the people would be any less "Austrian" than someone whose parents descended from the austro-hungarian monarchy. And I don't see why somebody who has a diverse background would be not a "real" Austrian just because he or she also feels a connection to countries where his or her parents or grandparents came from.
But I apologize (@Mrm) for completely going off-topic here. :lol:

Thank you for your enlightening post :) But ... I did not expect such a flurry after me questioning ''Austriannes'' (is that a real word? :lol: ) of this man. It makes sense for you and some other forum members from Austria to view things this way, especially coming from a country that is a successor of Austro-Hungary. Former concepts of ethnicities or nationalities elsewhere have evolved.

marty

Now that Thea Devys song is out we know already two songs of the austrian internal selection. I dont like her song at all, maybe in english it sounds better.

gingerale

I think it's a pretty good song. Good vocals, great built up. Nothing outstanding but could have been promising. Hope Austria didn't eliminate the wrong song.

Neo

Me like. Maybe not something that will work 100% on a Eurovision stage, but cool and fun. :8:

Shame with the bland break, hope they fix it.

MalagaToledo

Banned
I see that this topic went down to 2nd page. Even Austrians stopped commenting. I like this song of conchita. I think she could win with this song as well if she decided to compete again. But I know she said one victory was enough for her.

Lindon

There is not much to report related to Eurovision because Vincent has been rehearsing for the musical "Rock my soul" for days. The premiere is next week, the last play day will be on March 28th. The musical is loosely based on the biopic of the Les Humphries Singers.
Vincent only really has time for the ESC after the end of this engagement.

On March 7th, 8th and 9th, he would have free time, the only longer window of opportunity, to shortly promote the song. We'll see.

Sammy

Veteran
There is not much to report related to Eurovision because Vincent has been rehearsing for the musical "Rock my soul" for days. The premiere is next week, the last play day will be on March 28th. The musical is loosely based on the biopic of the Les Humphries Singers.
Vincent only really has time for the ESC after the end of this engagement.

On March 7th, 8th and 9th, he would have free time, the only longer window of opportunity, to shortly promote the song. We'll see.

That doesn't sound too good. Eurovision is also about extended promotion tours and going to pre-concerts. Will he have time for that? Otherwise this will be a huge disadvantage. I thought ORF had understood this since Conchita showed them how to do it properly.

Lindon

That doesn't sound too good. Eurovision is also about extended promotion tours and going to pre-concerts. Will he have time for that? Otherwise this will be a huge disadvantage. I thought ORF had understood this since Conchita showed them how to do it properly.
What events are in March? He will be at "Eurovision in Concert" on April 4th.

marty

I dont remember any austrian act who did extended promotion tours. the pre shows take place in april usually. and for the austrian media there is enough time beside the shows at the metropol. anyway there are only four to five performances per week. enough time for rehearsing.

Top Bottom