14 4.1%

14 4.1%

12 3.5%

11 3.2%

24 7.1%

120 35.4%

• Total voters

Yamarus

I am afraid we will stay in for another year. Depends on the actual winner this year and revelation of the Semifinal votes maybe.

Why is it so important for you to reach the semi-finals? Aren't you glad you've already managed to reach them the year you came back?

Frankly I don't understand that. Austria was not a fan favourite, was surely not a jury favourite, it was absolutely predictable that this would stay in the semi-finals. Yet already people talk about withdrawing! :confused: The song just wasn't that great, just deal with it. And even if it were, well better luck next year.
Withdrawing makes no statement at all except that you are sore losers. The Netherlands ain't complaining, yet they have failed to reach the finals since 2004. How many times did Austria play drama queen and withdraw, then come back, then threaten to withdraw again in the meantime?

Norman7

Only difference is that Germany 2009 had ZERO authenticity and ZERO connection to Germany, while in fact Austria's entry this year is authentic (well sort of)...

Ya okay.. but the sang 3minuts about bootys, with creepy lyrics! sexy background

2009 germany: 3minuts about misses kiss kiss bang, with only 3 different lines - deeta sex pure

and dont forget many of jury members and tv viewers are old....(sadly!) and pole dance and sex pure isnt welcome for these

wheres the difference? ;)

It is only my though that authenticity is one factor...

A-lister

Veteran
Ya okay.. but the sang 3minuts about bootys, with creepy lyrics! sexy background

2009 germany: 3minuts about misses kiss kiss bang, with only 3 different lines - deeta sex pure

and dont forget many of jury members and tv viewers are old....(sadly!) and pole dance and sex pure isnt welcome for these

wheres the difference? ;)

It is only my though that authenticity is one factor...

I don't think the "sex factor" is the reason it failed, the juries would have dissed it with or without pole-dancers..

and no it has nothing in common with the other song, because as songs and acts goes, they're complete different.

Also it's more authentic with two young lads singing about booties than a campy gay guy trying to act str8 :lol:

Norman7

I don't think the "sex factor" is the reason it failed, the juries would have dissed it with or without pole-dancers..

and no it has nothing in common with the other song, because as songs and acts goes, they're complete different.

Also it's more authentic with two young lads singing about booties than a campy gay guy trying to act str8 :lol:

:D but.. helena paparizou or greece entry lady 2012, Lena or other hot babes are hot for mens and sooo cute and good looking for women :p

all in all, this fail is bad :( - wanna have fun on esc stages!

rajo

I could totally see a UK 2011. But while I agree with you that it should have qualified, if it actually ended up in the televoters top 5 Austria has all the chances in the world to qualify cause they certainly can have the jury support (which was proven in 2011). The trick is to win both televotes and juries.

#5 + #18 = #23 / 2 = #11 to #12

Well, that was not rocket science, but it's fairly plausible that you can get totally screwed by either jury or televote.

I am reminded of 2003 and the Irish vote. Irish televote: 12 points for Austria, but the backup jury, which was installed due to technical problems, so the actual televote was not counted, said no, nul points instead.

Austria can appeal either to the public vote with hilarious entries like 2003 and this year, or to the jury vote like last year with a classy ballad and a flawless voice (jury says #5, public says go to hell). So, it remains mysterious how to appeal to both.

But may be I am wrong, and we were even screwed by the televote. But I don't think so, since none of the songs were really entertaining, at least ours.

Sandri

PHP:
Whatever, Nadine was brilliant last year and Trackshittaz too. As some said before, we put a whole money in that and are/were often on last places. We could withdraw too or cut the financial things, but we didn't. I think Austria should be strong and get another try.

Sandri

It was not their evening...

But they write on facebook: Thanks to our Fans! Now more than ever!

elvisontheisland

Oh boy, prepare for a rent.

Withdrawal is thankfully not an option for ORF executives. Quitting at this point would be rather silly. We've taken part two times now since coming back, and we've qualified for the final once and failed another time - not a bad turnout - ask the Netherlands, who haven't made the final SIX (!) times in a row and yet still compete. The trick is to not be too eager on doing great yourself, but to enjoy the privilege of actually being able to participate in the contest again - something we Austrians haven't been able to do for three ESC-free, boring years.

Now here's my assumption on why we didn't make the final, and why we shouldn't be disappointed about that: I reckon we did rather well in televotes. I'm sure of it. It was the juries that spoiled the fun for us - they must've given us barely any points. But I do not have any problem with that whatsoever. You know why? Because last year, if it hadn't been for the juries, we would've almost not made the final and we would've placed second to last in the final itself - as opposed to a more dignified 18th spot. That would've certainly motivated the Austrian ESC sceptics to call for an exit stage left with a frown.

ESC has massive relevance in Austria - it is as much a watercooler topic as association football or royal weddings - it's only that because of our, how to put it, ignorance of what really is good (and ESC-appropriate) music and impotance to send the best entry, that we've not had successes over the past couple of years. Mind you, I promise that if we had sent Klimmstein last year, we could've easily made top ten. As far as 2012 was concerned - I really don't think there was a better crowdpleaser in the Ö3 chosen ten that could've done any better than Trackshittaz - which leads me to the biggest problem: Ö3 song selection for the national finals is beyond me - they either choose nepotistically or what they guess might do well with the Austrian audience in the first place. The Austrian finals for ESC have become somewhat of a holding track for former TV music competition contestants - e.g. Trackshittaz (2011-2012), Conchita Wurst (2012), Nadine Beiler (2011), Eric Papilaya (2007).

Here's hoping for a fun 2012 final without Austrian participation and an even better 2013 final with Austrian participation.

gustav

As opposed to the majorty here, I don't believe this scored high with the public. For older folks it was too rude, and for younger folks nothing they have not seen before, not even the best "sex sells"-act of the evening.

cassio

The black haired guy is welcome here i Copenhagen. My Windscreen wipers doesn't work for the time being so he is welcome to woki with his popo on my windscreen :lol:

Ive head that the reason Austria didn't participate for a cupel of years was that they though the standard of the participating songs were to low...... Austria you rock ...... trash music next year, and I will vote for Switzerland!!!

dizzydjc

Austria were my favourite last night, but even I knew they were going to be in danger with the juries voting aswell.

Even our commentator had to remind our viewing audience that they are not swearing and it's just their pronounciation. I just hope this doesn't mean they're out next year, I've been rooting for Austria to return and was over the moon when they did last year.

It's a setback, sure, but bring something a bit better next year and you will do well again i'm sure.

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Is there a source for that? Those are good numbers. Probably be smaller for tonight's semi due to lack of Russia and Ireland.

It was in the BARB overnight ratings, I believe. Anything above 500,000 tonight would be incredible for the contest though

rajo

Just watching the Austrian warm-up show with a documentary on Trackshittaz in Baku. Seems like ORF put a lot of money and effort in this year's success. Even Hollywood costume designers were engaged in the project..... a whole hotel room was rented just for experimenting with the costumes!

It didn't pay off and I am not sure if ORF as willing to ever take so much money into the hand.

Top Bottom