Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices​

Last edited by a moderator:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
That might be the case in some contexts, as for modern day Eurovision I really don't think so tbh (perhaps in certain markets, but not in general). As I mentioned already, and I truly believe that's the case, most people who tune into Eurovision are on average a bit more open-minded and progressive than your average person out there and such bigoted people who commented, I believe aren't even fans of the show or even casual viewers, I think it's more internet trolls or even bots in some cases. Sure, there might be some racism in Eurovision context too, but I think it's limited and not impactful at all.

I hope people simply judge entries on their merits and in comparison to the competition they face, and frankly I think most people do that in the context of Eurovision. Expecting less from Tusse because of his skin color is the same as him having to prove more than others, it's basically the other side of the coin, but both are bad and dehumanizing in their own ways.

Imho this is a weak entry, and it would be weak regardless of who sung it. No one even discussed race when we chose Loreen, because she had a banger entry, and this time it feels like they don't really believe the entry can succeed on its own merits and thus have to use the race card and it's just sad and cheap and I don't think it will help Tusse nor the entry tbh.
It's not that simple, sadly. Racism (and many other oppressions) is structural and, a lot of times, internalized, so one might grow up/learn a concept that is racist without being aware of it. Every place has these people, even if it is an event sold as "progressive" as eurovision is. It's easy to dismiss them as "trolls" or "casual viewers", but the reality is not like that. :(

I still hadn't started following ESC in 2012 (I started in 2014) so I could be wrong, but... didn't Loreen also receive racist comments? Also, discussions about social issues became more evident in the past few years, so no surprise it wasn't nearly as discussed back then anyway.

Denouncing racism =/= strategy to get pity votes as well? But anyway. This is borderline off-topic :lol: I don't think it is a strong entry either, but I don't think a race card is being "strategically" used. If so, that's stooping low. but back to my latest post: I don't speak Swedish, so i don't understand swedish media.

michael66

I asked Tusse in the press conference how does he feel about performing "Voices" in front of an actual audience in Rotterdam after the lockdown Melodifestivalen we had:

heke1988

Oh, Sweden, Sweden... Where have I heard this song before? :confused:

For me this is like Polina Gagarina's "A Million Voices" in 2015.

heke1988

FilipFromSweden

I remember when Loreen won that some people complained she wasn't Swedish

Preuss

This is what I've found from a user posted in the Eurovision sub-reddit. She's complaining about the racist comments and jokes made under the Eurovision Instagram post on Tusse by some of the followers.

8b0ff9a.png

21cce7c.png
Yeah, saw this one as well, that’s why I said so, A-lister

A-lister

Veteran
I remember when Loreen won that some people complained she wasn't Swedish

There will always be some idiots, but I can't recall it being a "thing" back then, the entry simply ran on its own merits which is what entries should do...

Anyways, I think there isn't really much to add to the topic. I think we all can conclude that racism is despicable, but using the race card and use that to "promote" an entry isn't much better (and frankly quite counter-productive in the fight against actual racism if you ask me).

Coming back to the entry itself, I guess I can't say much more than I already said. The juries will probably help us through, but I don't see it going down well with televoters, in fact I still think it could end up outside of the top. 10 with televoters in the semi which would be the first time this would happen for us. I really think it would do us good to NQ for a change, to re-group and re-think Melodifestivalen and our strategy, but it seems Swedes involvement on the higher levels in Eurovision translates to constant favorizing by the juries.

DenizESC

Banned
I remember one thing, when Dolly Style made ''Habibi" the entire comment section was basically xenophobic, but it seemed not only Swedish people, not saying that. Many people watch melodifestivalen and Dolly Style has that more int. impact-

A-lister

Veteran
I remember one thing, when Dolly Style made ''Habibi" the entire comment section was basically xenophobic, but it seemed not only Swedish people, not saying that. Many people watch melodifestivalen and Dolly Style has that more int. impact-

Xenophobic? I don't recall that, but that entry (and that whole group) was a joke though... :lol:

Loindici

Veteran
Fr Eurovision this year literally has more representation than pretty much any other year on record
We got POC/minority representatives for :au: :at: :cz: :il: :mt: :nl: :ru: :se: (plus :fr: by descent)
Celebrate diversity yall

Don't forget :sm:!

• Like It
Reactions: Kaz

Loindici

Veteran
I really think it would do us good to NQ for a change, to re-group and re-think Melodifestivalen and our strategy, but it seems Swedes involvement on the higher levels in Eurovision translates to constant favorizing by the juries.

The fact is, Sweden is one of the biggest players, or rather, 'colonizers' of the modern music industry, so the bias will always be there.

A-lister

Veteran
The fact is, Sweden is one of the biggest players, or rather, 'colonizers' of the modern music industry, so the bias will always be there.

We are a big player in music, but we also have a bunch of people on high positions within the EBU / Eurovision and I'm afraid it's not always our "quality" that gives us those jury supports... if all it takes is to be a big player in music to get jury support in Eurovision (regardless if we deserve it or not), then how come UK which is the biggest music producer in Europe and second biggest in the world after the US don't get the same support? xshrug

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
We are a big player in music, but we also have a bunch of people on high positions within the EBU / Eurovision and I'm afraid it's not always our "quality" that gives us those jury supports... if all it takes is to be a big player in music to get jury support in Eurovision (regardless if we deserve it or not), then how come UK which is the biggest music producer in Europe and second biggest in the world after the US don't get the same support? xshrug

I don't think this could be a reason. It's more likely that the juries have ties to the music industry, as we have discussed months prior.

• A Jury must be appointed by the broadcaster to vote in the semi finals and the final. It must consist of five members from the music industry (singer, DJ, composer, lyricist or producer) and must have a fair balance of age, gender and profession.
  • Jurors cannot be employees of their national broadcasters, and cannot have any direct connection to the songs and/or artists in order to uphold complete independence and impartiality.

Ezio

Veteran
Sweden gives me "sorry zero points" vibes in the semifinal

Jopi

I think you all underestimate Sweden very much, and I think they'll do much better (with the public) then what you think.

Top Bottom