Contact us

Your thoughts on 100% televote system for semi finals

I am

• For it

• Against it

Results are only viewable after voting.

I bims

Veteran
Yeah God forbid broadcastes send what people actually want to hear and not just dated ballads a la Estonia to cater to the juries xshrug

We got one of the most diverse and entertaining Eurovision in thanks to the fact that the semis had only televoting. Do people really want a year like 2022? xshrug
But people mostly just voted for Finland (and Sweden lol) in the final. So the public didn't even appreciate the diversity at all. POLAND was 8th in the public vote!!! Like what the fuck. The most uninspired summer girl bop you've ever heard.

I'm usually more on the televoters side but like damn... We need the jury. "Solo" in the top 10 would be a disgrace.
But they did make the right calls for the Semis, I'm not mad at that.

A-lister

Veteran
I want juries, at least in the final, just because without them in 2022 Moldova would have been a runner up (and winner if there wasn't the Ukraine stuff)... Accept that sometimes the public makes mistakes.

And juries never make mistakes lol?

I mean I could go on and say I love the juries because they supported like for instance Czechia more that was my personal fav, but in the bigger scale of things I still think they do more harm than helping.

It was almost sad yesterday to see such a big public favorite lose out because the juries, as per usual, go for the more safer Pop song in English in the end and over-voted it to the extent that wasn't even funny.

And yeah again, one could claim I should be happy as a Swedish person but I can't...

Storm

I feel like that 75%-25% proposal a lot of people make would just be a placeholder until the inevitable year when the 25% jury prevents the televote winner from winning and we get another outcry. I feel like we're better off with people just finally accepting the current system. We tried the alternatives (100% televote, 100% juries), they sucked, let's move on.

Mainshow

Veteran
The semis should be jury-free - It totally worked that way this year but when it comes to the final, I don't mind them - but as other users have already pointed out, I wish they would be differently composed:
- increase the number of jury members to 10 (or even 15!)
- ask for different professions (musicians, artists, composers, professors, journalists)
- ask for peope of different genres (2 from pop music, 2 from rock/metal, 2 from ethno/follk, 2 from EDM etc..)
- ask for people of different age to be part
- let them rank their Top 10 only (or.. let them give points for different criteria and a notary will count the points and rank the songs accordingly).

That way, I think that the jury vote will turn into something more "valid" instead of asking 5 former TV show contestants to rank 26 songs they have heard for the very first time in less than 3 hrs.

burrito

bring back the juries - but increase their number to at least 10 per delegation because that change is long overdue
50/50 split can stay as long as the juries are professional (only music experts) and diverse (various ages, genres etc), although 75/25 would be preferred
get rid of the rest of the world voting

Bmbriga

The semis should be jury-free - It totally worked that way this year but when it comes to the final, I don't mind them - but as other users have already pointed out, I wish they would be differently composed:
- increase the number of jury members to 10 (or even 15!)
- ask for different professions (musicians, artists, composers, professors, journalists)
- ask for peope of different genres (2 from pop music, 2 from rock/metal, 2 from ethno/follk, 2 from EDM etc..)
- ask for people of different age to be part
- let them rank their Top 10 only (or.. let them give points for different criteria and a notary will count the points and rank the songs accordingly).

That way, I think that the jury vote will turn into something more "valid" instead of asking 5 former TV show contestants to rank 26 songs they have heard for the very first time in less than 3 hrs.
Those 10 people would be completely random, because even with 5, I have to Google some of them sometimes.

The things you mentioned, nobody is forbidding anybody to do.
The fact that you have mostly former contestants of TV shows comes mostly down to your broadcaster. I'm not saying our jury is much better, but it's HRT's choice.

A-lister

Veteran
If it's one thing I would want to get rid of is the Rest of the World vote, as I feared it was a bit skewed towards diaspora (like Albania and Armenia in Semi 1). While I appreciate that fans who are outside of Europe can actually vote, this is still a European contest and should be exclusive for those countries that compete at a given edition. Also, while it might not mean too much in the final, that vote do matter in the semis due to less countries. It's a Pandora's box where it can be manipulated.

goncalovieira

It is fine until the moment they completely ignored almost non finalists. Juries usally spread more votes along the poor people.

Realest

Average Televote of the Final.
#1Finland
2​
#2Sweden
4,57894737​
#3Norway
5,23684211​
#4Israel
6,73684211​
#5Ukraine
6,89473684​
#6Italy
7,02631579​
#7Croatia
9,92105263​
#8Moldova
10,3684211​
#9Poland
10,7368421​
#10France
10,7894737​
#11Cyprus
12,7631579​
#12Czechia
12,9210526​
#13Slovenia
13,7105263​
#14Switzerland
14,0263158​
#15Belgium
13,9210526​
#16Germany
15,2105263​
#17Austria
15,5526316​
#18Armenia
15,8684211​
#19Lithuania
16,1578947​
#20Australia
16,2368421​
#21Albania
16,3947368​
#22Estonia
17,7105263​
#23Serbia
18,3947368​
#24Spain
19,7894737​
#25Portugal
20,1052632​
#26United Kingdom
20,1578947​

Germany, Austria, Suisse and France were more popular than Lithuania, Albania, Armenia, but got less Points.

Andromache

Last year many fans complained about the televote result and called it political. Personally I also prefered the Top 5 of the jury. This year many fans complain about the juries. And I'm sure as soon as a result comes out that people don't like they will attack the new system again. You can't make everyone happy. Sorry but the televoters often times vote for trash. And the moment we go back to 100% televote is the moment I will stop watching this show. The 2000s were absolutely tragic. There were much better performances than CCC yesterday and it kinda felt like they're DOA and televoters don't even give them a chance. It's funny that people say we need to get rid of the juries because they kill diversity even though it's the juries who often give points to smaller countries and less popular entries. I'm glad they helped Czechia and Spain.

We need a complex system and neither televote nor jury vote should be to powerful.

AliceEsc

It went smoothly in the SFs, I think they will keep the 100% televote.
In my view, there's clearly smth wrong, when an entry gets 87% of the televote points available and still fails to win. I wish they really consider some changes, already mentioned by many here. I'd want to see how it would pan out.

If they keep the current form and power of the juries, I'm in for 100% televote SFs.

MAD20

Televote left Latvia outside the final, therefore I don't like it to be 100%.

Jokes aside, I think it is not fair for countries without a huge diaspora or neighbour voting. Georgia and Latvia failing to qualify are the best example. Greece does not count as their performance was... well, bad. Just with televoting, countries with good allies will be able to Q with ok-ish songs while others like Malta will have to bring a fan fave just to advance to the final.

The solution is a remodelling of the juries: 10-15 people per country at least, preferably outside the ESC bubble, voting with actual criteria and not beacuse of neighbour voting. Your patterns suspiciously follow the neighbouring voting constantly? Punishment from EBU, easy.

Funix

A big NO from me. With 100% televote, we are going to have Eurovision that are similar bad in quality to the 2000's editions. NO ONE outside the Eurovision bubble will take that competition seriously and gives us highlights like Måneskin, Sam Ryder, Duncan Laurance and even Chanel. With 100% televote, it will all be about joke entries and cheesy lackluster songs like Moldova 2022, BEJBA and Let 3 with Croatia this year to get votes (And dispora votes will have even more effect on the results than it does today). The juries are the guarantee for musically high level entries even if we sometimes are questing the voting logic behind the juries.

Mainshow

Veteran
Moldova 2022 >>>> all recent jury winners combined

Eurovision is about foreign cultures, languages and sounds.

If we really need juries to vote based on "vocals" and Westernised pop, we could cancel the whole competition and just let them broadcast a best-of video of different versions of The Voice around Europe.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Moldova 2022 >>>> all recent jury winners combined

Eurovision is about foreign cultures, languages and sounds.

If we really need juries to vote based on "vocals" and Westernised pop, we could cancel the whole competition and just let them broadcast a best-of video of different versions of The Voice around Europe.

"Eurovision is about foreign cultures, languages and sounds."

Tell that to Blanca Paloma, S10 and Maro! :)

Moldova 2022 didn't do well because of the language or culture but because people thought it was funny, who are we kidding here?

Mainshow

Veteran
It was entertaining, indeed.

^^ And that's why I still appreciate Blanca Paloma's entry despite it being my second-to-last place this year and basically unlistenable.

Loindici

Veteran
I feel we are mostly on the same conclusion. The 100% televote worked on the Semis, so keeping it is not a bad idea. The final needs more juries, too. I'd say for beta purposes 7 would be enough since some countries might struggle to recruit different professional juries each year.

12Pointsgoto.....

In hindsight, as long as there are 50% Juries in the final, the semi's can be kept 100% televote. The best Jury songs will get through borderline anyway, and this will allow the juries to vote more organized in the final. The reason estonia and Sweden scored so high is because the televotes eliminated some of the potential jury favourites

Top Bottom