Your thoughts on 100% televote system for semi finals

I am

• For it

• Against it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Judas

FSC Mod
Staff member
Now that we got the qualifiers from both semis, seeing the results how do you feel about this new system?

EscGeek

Veteran
Sometimes i side with the jury and sometimes i side with the public. But if we're talking specifically about the two semi finals of 2023, i'm only deeply hurt by Georgia NQing.
Now i assume the juries would have pushed her through, but at what cost? Slovenia? Poland? I don't even want to think about it... :eek:
Maybe the AI generated lyrics(:lol:) wouldn't convince the juries either and the end result would be the same. Either way, i'd be mourning the loss of at least one song even with the juries present.

I voted "For it" because Let 3 haters (who want eurovision to be super serious competition) are kind of grinding my gears now.

Realest

We need to wait for the Average-TV in order to see if it works.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I'm still against it. I do think ballads have it way harder now and I'm worried about the future of the contest if countries will be now afraid to send ballads. That's my biggest concern.

I think either Latvia or the Netherlands would've qualified in the first semi and both of them are in my top 5 so I really don't think it's fair.

Bring back the juries. I also think the broadcasters are smart enough to see this isn't working.

+ diaspora is a huge problem. For example, Serbia (I think it deserved to qualify but still) got 24 points from both Switzerland and Croatia def. In a system where 40 points are enough to qualify it's really unfair for countries with no diaspora like Latvia for example who had to start with 0. I'm not saying the jury is always fair but having 2 separate systems it makes it fairer and juries (apart from Greece and Cyprus) don't usually vote based on countries.

Uto

Veteran
We need to see the full results, but it looks as though we potentially got Croatia and Serbia in favor of two of Malta/Latvia/NL in semi 1 and in semi 2 I suspect Poland instead of Georgia.

I don't like the change but ultimately I don't really care a whole lot. I mean sometimes I agree and sometimes I do not. As long as they don't entertain thoughts of removing them for the final I'm good.

Uto

Veteran
+ diaspora is a huge problem. For example, Serbia (I think it deserved to qualify but still) got 24 points from both Switzerland and Croatia def. In a system where 40 points are enough to qualify it's really unfair for countries with no diaspora like Latvia for example who had to start with 0. I'm not saying the jury is always fair but having 2 separate systems it makes it fairer and juries (apart from Greece and Cyprus) don't usually vote based on countries.

This is true, if it turns out that diaspora effects effectively decide Q juries need to be reinstated asap.

rasmuslights

Veteran
This is true, if it turns out that diaspora effects effectively decide Q juries need to be reinstated asap.

Definitely, it's very unfair for countries with 0 diaspora or neighbours like Malta, San Marino, or when countries like Slovenia or Latvia don't have their neighbours in the semi. They all rarely qualify with the televote and now it's nearly impossible for them unless they send something really amazing.

Teaisloveable

I think it's working at the semi finals, but I think we still need a jury at the grand final

I'm a little worried they'll see how it's gone this year and remove the jury completely next year

SpiritofKeiino

I think it's working at the semi finals, but I think we still need a jury at the grand final

I'm a little worried they'll see how it's gone this year and remove the jury completely next year
I'm of same opinion. I was worried jury removal from SF would hurt ballads and maybe it has (we haven't seen the full televote result yet of course) but Alika and Remo qualified.

Had juries been in SF1, possibly the only act that would have NQd was Croatia in favour of maybe Latvia? But then again, maybe Croatia did quite well with televote, so I'm not sure.

Had juries been in SF2, Georgia would possibly have qualified at the expense of maybe Poland.

Generally I'm happy with the televote only SFs so far, but I do think GF needs a jury (there may be valid arguments for adjusting its weighting vs the televote).

The full SF results on Sunday will be very interesting.

SpiritofKeiino

I can see fans becoming very angry on Sunday if Kaarija comes top 3 in televote and is scuppered by jury.
Particularly if Loreen wins jury (a near certainty in my opinion), has a less than stellar televote and wins overall.
Could backlash lead EBU to reconsider weighting of jury vs televote in the GF?

Personally I don't have strong views on the Loreen/Kaarija battle, just saying what I think may happen.

rasmuslights

Veteran
As if the juries (especially ex-yugo ones) don't vote for their neighbours a lot

Slovenia rarely does. Croatia as well. Serbia and Montenegro do.

And again there's a difference between idk Croatian jury giving 4 points to Slovenia because their neighbours and Serbia getting 24 points from the televote because of their diaspora.

Juries, although sometimes biased, still vote fairer than the televote.

Gitte

I like ballads and don't "get" a lot of joke entries, and I would only want Finland to win because it has less wins (tho Sweden reaching 7 might be the final well needed wake up call for Ireland), so obvious.

HayashiM

Veteran
I am ok with the way it is right now. However if I could really have my way, I would make it 2/3 televote and 1/3 juryvote for both the semis and the finals.

Chalphon

I am ok with the way it is right now. However if I could really have my way, I would make it 2/3 televote and 1/3 juryvote for both the semis and the finals.
That would make the juries superflous. You can't keep the juries in just for show but make it impossible for them to make an impact.

HayashiM

Veteran
That would make the juries superflous. You can't keep the juries in just for show but make it impossible for them to make an impact.
They could still easily make an impact though, just not as much of it. I mean, it's still the opinion of 200 people whose expertise I seriously doubt (as in, "not all of them have it"), who absolutely discuss each others ranking despite being told not to and who are easily prone to cheating as the last year has shown... against votes of millions of people who have to actually pay for their votes.

Chalphon

They could still easily make an impact though, just not as much of it. I mean, it's still the opinion of 200 people whose expertise I seriously doubt (as in, "not all of them have it"), who absolutely discuss each others ranking despite being told not to and who are easily prone to cheating as the last year has shown... against votes of millions of people who have to actually pay for their votes.
I strongly disagree on pretty much everything you wrote. I see no path where we will reach consensus on this matter so I'm not gonna bother.

Top Bottom