Contact us

Your thoughts on 100% televote system for semi finals

I am

• For it

• Against it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chalphon

I have mixed feelings on juries. There have been years where I liked the jury ranking and years where I despised it (this is one of those - feeling so sad right now).

I also see the disadvantages of a 100pc televote system.

I do wonder would the likes of Lordi win in the current system, I think not...and that concerns me for the future of the contest, especially acts who offer something a bit different from the likes of Sweden-style pop.

I would say that neither Loreen's Tattoo nor Kalush nor Måneskin nor Netta's Toy nor Salvador Sobral nor Jamala's 1944 falls into the genre of Sweden-style-pop so I really don't share that fear. The only song since Måns Zelmerlöw's Heroes that might fall into that category is perhaps Arcade which (to my knowledge) no Swedes were involved in making.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
juries saved entries like Estonia, Spain, Austria and also helped Portugal and tanked entries like Poland, Croatia and Moldova.

who on earth would want the juries gone?
Spain was the worst song of the entire contest this year, it was painful to listen to. I voted for Moldova, and was close to voting for Poland as well. I would absolutely want the juries gone.

I know that's not going to happen tho, but I would really like to see their power in the final reduced. 25% feels like a good number.

Ezio

Veteran
Let’s stick with the juries and send Swedish producers away

rasmuslights

Veteran
Spain was the worst song of the entire contest this year, it was painful to listen to. I voted for Moldova, and was close to voting for Poland as well. I would absolutely want the juries gone.

I know that's not going to happen tho, but I would really like to see their power in the final reduced. 25% feels like a good number.

well, I don't agree.

Andromache

No thanks. I'm glad the juries are a thing. There needs to be some quality control and even if I don't always agree with them they do often times make great choices and save underrated quality entries. I don't always agree with the televote result either and find some of the results and even winners just terrible. The quality of the contest would go down without the juries. I prefer what Eurovision is right now over what Eurovision used to be. Some of the entries this year were really bad (and very popular with a certain group of Eurovision fans). I don't need more of that. It's also not true that the juries only vote for generic entries or ballads. They voted for Slomo and Unicorn. What I would like is a ranked voting but I'm not sure if that is possible. Maybe too much work.

crashworld

Veteran
Juries can remain in the GF but not in the SF. It will be better if the juries' power is not 50%, but like 30%. And also increase the size of the jury panel.

A-lister

Veteran
People got their beloved jury vote in the final... I will say no more... They just suck and that's a fact.

heke1988

25%-75% sounds good and also more jurymembers in every jury.

Gitte

The jurors gave a well deserved top 10 to Czechia, Australia and Estonia and made Austria not perform absolutely terrible and gave Spain at least some points. They also made some hiccups such as underrating Norway. Together it's balanced.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
The problem with going full televote is that it, like all voting systems can be gamed. Most people complaining about juries now weren't around when we had a televote only contest - diasporia votes galore, increasedly stupid novelty everywhere. it almost killed the contest.

The current system is defo the lesser of all evils.

The following things need to happen:

1) immediately and PERMANELTY abolish the Rest of World vote, which gives people the opportunity to vote for their own country and circumvent the golden televoting rule.
2) make juries focus LESS on music industry professionals, but on a wider array of people. Expand then number to 10 and pick people from all walks of life, not necessarily celebrities, musicians or producers as is currently the case.
3) Reduce the amount of countries in the final to a number more managable, so fewer countries are screwed over by the running order. There's no reason a contest of 36 countries should have a 26 country final.

Those three adjustments will already result marked reduction in result nonsense.

Honestly? Aside from Israel finishing second (i thought juries were supposed to gatekeep poorly written music out of the higher eschelons of the scoreboard?) i'm quite okay with the jury results. Belgium, Australia, Estonia and Czechia were all very good and deserved a spot in the top ten. I prefer them over the televote results (which were, as hopefully most of you noticed, extremely flag-driven this year.)

Full televote in the semi worked out well this year though (several of the NQs this year were PUTRID) so that can stay as far as I 'm concerned.

Last edited:

bstream

1) immediately and PERMANELTY abolish the Rest of World vote, which gives people the opportunity to vote for their own country and circumvent the golden televoting rule.

Pretty sure the ROTW vote can be amended to disallow votes from certain places/limit the votes to non-participating countries. This year, for example, the EBU barred Russian credit cards from being used.

Just saying, I really enjoyed finally being able to vote after 11 years of watching and commenting on this forum :)

Gitte

Btw it has already been said elsewhere but Loreen's controversial win might have something to do with the the televote only semifinals, as those made delegations send more televote focused and less jurybait songs. The few juryfriendly songs that were in the competition to begin with & also qualified were with relatively few, and there was no tout l'univers or something either. So more points to the juryfriendly songs that DID go through, such as Sweden whose overall package might have simply sincerely stood out the most.

A-lister

Veteran
Btw it has already been said elsewhere but Loreen's controversial win might have something to do with the the televote only semifinals, as those made delegations send more televote focused and less jurybait songs. The few juryfriendly songs that were in the competition to begin with & also qualified were with relatively few, and there was no tout l'univers or something either. So more points to the juryfriendly songs that DID go through, such as Sweden whose overall package might have simply sincerely stood out the most.

Yeah God forbid broadcastes send what people actually want to hear and not just dated ballads a la Estonia to cater to the juries xshrug

We got one of the most diverse and entertaining Eurovision in thanks to the fact that the semis had only televoting. Do people really want a year like 2022? xshrug

Gitte

I want to hear " dated ballads " a la estonia. Many people do. But ok guess I am not a person then. And 2022 was a good year, My favourite was Sheldon Riley.

ati0111

I think the jury would have saved Latvia this year instead of Serbia. And it would have been so well deserved!
Serbia 10th with the highest points from neighbour and diaspora (Croatia, Switzerland)
Latvia 11th without those...
The gap between Croatia,Portugal and Netherlands/Malta was so big that they wouldn't have made a difference.

In semi2 I'm not sure they would have saved Georgia. Instead of who? Poland was too high with televote. Albania?
Georgia NQ was deserved anyway.

They usually overrate Sweden and Australia and underrate some good songs but also saved the best song of 2018 (🇦🇱 Mall)
There can be some changes but in general the 50-50% works

Uto

Veteran
People got their beloved jury vote in the final... I will say no more... They just suck and that's a fact.
I pointed this out in Sweden thread, but it's probably also a good one to put here.

Here are from 2014 onward all the second places and all instances where a song had a higher televote than the eventual winner.

It is rare for the juries to disagree with the public in a very significant way. When they do, two instances stand alone, Sweden 2015 and Sweden 2023. Nothing is even close to what happened yesterday. The juries straight up malfunctioned for the second time in their history. They are not supposed to decide the winner on their own and they did. You can attack juries all you want but you are generally just wrong, except that the negative asymptotes are so egregious that they prove your point anyway and when checking their voting patterns I found myself agreeing with you more if you look at the more recent editions, especially when it concerns Sweden as their entries have been pop songs that just shouldn't really have an edge over other stuff, but there are other examples as well. Long story short: juries used to be better, but they are broken now. They need to change. We can not have what happened yesterday. I did not feel like I was watching a competition anymore and I think I am in the majority on that.

Here is the hall of shame:

RankYearSecondAvg JuryFirstAvg JuryDeficitAvg Tele SecondAvg Tele FirstDeficit Made UpFinal Deficit
12023Finland4,05Sweden9,19-5,1410,166,573,59-1,55
22015Italy4,6Sweden9,08-4,489,156,982,17-2,31
32016Russia3,1Ukraine5,02-1,928,67,690,91-1,01
42019Norway0,98Netherlands5,78-4,87,16,370,73-4,07
52015Russia6,18Sweden9,08-2,97,156,980,17-2,73
62019Italy5,34Netherlands5,78-0,446,176,37-0,2-0,64
72017Bulgaria6,62Portugal9,1-2,488,028,95-0,93-3,41
82018Cyprus4,26Israel4,93-0,675,887,37-1,49-2,16
92021France6,36Italy5,281,086,448,15-1,71-0,63
102014Netherlands5,41Austria6,05-0,6468,41-2,41-3,05
112016Australia7,62Ukraine5,022,64,557,69-3,14-0,54
122022United Kingdom7,08Ukraine4,82,284,5810,98-6,4-4,12