Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man
Nothing but, nothing but, nothing but space, man

I've searched around the universe
Been down some black holes
Nothing but space, man
And I want to go home​

mauve

Veteran
I finally decided to listen to "Space Man" and honestly, I don´t think it´s great at all. This may end up the same faith like the Makemakes: Getting a decent jury final and getting nil points from the televoting.
I hate the sound of his voice when he sings that high - it´s almost trembling - he clearly is no Sam Smith to pull it off and in my opinion, it´s just very unpleasant to listen to.
Nah, it´s not my cup of tea - I have to admit that the chorus is quite instant/memorable, though - Maybe I´m wrong about it and it may attract some televoters but I´ll still keep my fingers crossed for something more pleasant :D
Same here. I don't like his voice at all, but the chorus is catchy. But I am not sure if this song would be the best to send to ESC. But who knows maybe - in case Sam should really represent the UK - he is a good performer?

ChiversLookDivine

Same here. I don't like his voice at all, but the chorus is catchy. But I am not sure if this song would be the best to send to ESC. But who knows maybe - in case Sam should really represent the UK - he is a good performer?

If it IS Sam Ryder, then it's one of our most talented performers this century outside of Jade Ewen and Lucie Jones. But we need someone who's not just a good performer with a big social following, we need the song and staging too.

We've had some bad performers in recent years but usually the song and staging are always somehow worse than the performer, if we did send Space Man then great staging might be enough to secure a left-hand side finish, but I do feel we need something... More.

mauve

Veteran
If it IS Sam Ryder, then it's one of our most talented performers this century outside of Jade Ewen and Lucie Jones. But we need someone who's not just a good performer with a big social following, we need the song and staging too.

We've had some bad performers in recent years but usually the song and staging are always somehow worse than the performer, if we did send Space Man then great staging might be enough to secure a left-hand side finish, but I do feel we need something... More.
Believe me, I can feel with you - me being German. Making thru the same thing since years! :ROFLMAO: Seriously, I hope so much that I can put UK on my top again. Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Chrisiam

Hey, wait a sec. Unless my memory fails me, hasn't London ESC Party made similar jokes to this in the past when it looked like it was going to be a certain act only for it to really be someone else? I could have sworn they did something similar in the run-up to when James Newman was confirmed the first time around. Only they were joking about it being someone else and not James.

I mean, again, it might still be Sam and they are just being silly. But I could have sworn a page like that was making similar jokes in the past about it being a certain heavily rumoured act only for it to be a different one.

muskarcinator

Saw this link on reddit - The London Eurovision Party have basically confirmed it's Sam Ryder with Space Man at this point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eurovision/comments/t87zy6/eurovision_party_london_giving_big_hints_on_the/
this isn't LEP but instead a screening party for the final that know no more than the average person (just days ago they were predicting it was Claudia Valentina) - whilst I don't doubt the song is indeed Space Man, the tweets of this account aren't any sort of insight

grazy2266

I'm not sure about space man, I saw It performed in London in Oct 2021, I think that's on YouTube too. Isn't that not allowed under esc rules, the song has to released after the 1st Sept, that's ok but it's not allowed to be performed live or published including radio.

"The song must not have been publicly released before 1st September; it should not have been performed in public or officially published on any media including but not" limited to radio, TV and the Internet

ChiversLookDivine

I'm not sure about space man, I saw It performed in London in Oct 2021, I think that's on YouTube too. Isn't that not allowed under esc rules, the song has to released after the 1st Sept, that's ok but it's not allowed to be performed live or published including radio.

"The song must not have been publicly released before 1st September; it should not have been performed in public or officially published on any media including but not" limited to radio, TV and the Internet

I saw that video performance too. I'm pretty sure if it was performed after September 1st then it's fine.

If I'm wrong though, and Space Man couldn't qualify... maybe this proves Space Man isn't Sam's entry? I always thought it was odd that Space Man would be put on radio early if it was going to be our entry anyway. If Sam is our entry, maybe they realised Space Man wouldn't qualify and decided to drop it on the radio to hype Sam up in preparation for his Eurovision song?

Because if so... it's done a trick. Absolutely everyone here and on social media is talking about Sam Ryder being a great singer whilst being indifferent to Space Man.

Last edited:

HectorDM

Space Man is safe; public performance on any media after the 1st September is indeed allowed - even radio play. Poland's Daria this year is a clear example, she has performed it on television as early as October last year, when it was released.

cripesdude

I saw that video performance too. I'm pretty sure if it was performed after September 1st then it's fine.

If I'm wrong though, and Space Man couldn't qualify... maybe this proves Space Man isn't Sam's entry? I always thought it was odd that Space Man would be put on radio early if it was going to be our entry anyway. If Sam is our entry, maybe they realised Space Man wouldn't qualify and decided to drop it on the radio to hype Sam up in preparation for his Eurovision song?

Because if so... it's done a trick. Absolutely everyone here and on social media is talking about Sam Ryder being a great singer whilst being indifferent to Space Man.

Am I the only person that thinks a strategy of stealth-dropping a song and then announcing “oh yes, our entry this year is X and yeah that’s that song you already know’ makes sense?

I’m not saying I necessarily think that’s what the BBC have done, but I don’t think it’d be too wild a strategy. Especially if the change of approach is to select artists with a non “for Eurovision” song and take the entire thing more seriously?

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to just take a song that’s already out and established just as a song in it’s own right and then decide to send it over to Eurovision…

tsegaye

Am I the only person that thinks a strategy of stealth-dropping a song and then announcing “oh yes, our entry this year is X and yeah that’s that song you already know’ makes sense?

I’m not saying I necessarily think that’s what the BBC have done, but I don’t think it’d be too wild a strategy. Especially if the change of approach is to select artists with a non “for Eurovision” song and take the entire thing more seriously?

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to just take a song that’s already out and established just as a song in it’s own right and then decide to send it over to Eurovision…
It's not a particulary bad idea, it's just that it doesn't feel motivated enough when it comes to Space Man. Sam Ryder is a great singer, but the song is clearly not strong enough to make an impact on it's own so why would it be strong enough on the Eurovision stage?

cripesdude

For what it’s worth… if it is Sam Ryder with “Space Man”…

The negatives - there’s a part of me, and many fans, that want the U.K. to just send a damn banger. Especially as this year seems very ballad/rock. A U.K. Fuego/She Got Me… maybe sitting up there with Chanel for Spain… “Why can’t we have Steps”! Or indeed, something serious, emotional and meaningful - an Arcade or Beautiful Mess. Or even something that’s a bit different and that stands out for the right reasons and really shakes things up - a grime entry for example.

What’s been frustrating is the U.K. music scene has this by the bucket load - with the right will/approach it could be done. But we just consistently… don’t… or do try in the case of James Newman but still manage to get it wrong (especially staging wise)…

I think Space Man, whilst being another step in the right direction, doesn’t really fill that brief either.

The positives - It’s a good song. There is definite potential. It was stuck in my head after one listen… and he’s a very credible performer and we’ve seen Eurovision expand in terms of what can do well.
Certainly it sets things in motion for taking the “let’s send something good and not necessarily Eurovision” approach. Sure the U.K. could just pull something epic out of the bag but we’re far more likely to have the Dutch gradual improvement route… and this would signal that happening.

Overall - I think Space Man would really come down to the performance. But that makes me nervous because the U.K. has botched staging recently. But get it right… there’s a real chance to challenge the top ten.

But that’s my problem. I don’t want the U.K. to challenge the top ten, I want it to TRY TO WIN.

I think Space Man has positives and potential, but still too safe, at least just hearing the studio edit. If the staging bombs we risk the same result as last year… just being outside everyone’s top 10… which equals zero points (even though that’s undeserved).

So, I guess I’m trying to say I’d be a bit disappointed with Space Man as I’m not convinced it’s enough, but equally not unhappy as it has something… it just feels more like “another step in the right direction” rather than “OMG U.K. I’M GAGGED”. And I know what I want…

ESCConor

I dont know how true this is, but apparently Lucie Jones's staging team are coming back to do the staging this year, if that is the case then that is fantastic news.

I do think it is Sam Ryder, but I do have a feeling it might be another song.

Chrisiam

I just thought of something. What if all this Sam Ryder stuff is just a scheme by the record label to boost his presence and secure more sales? Now, this isn't me trying to talk down the prospect of it being him or contextualise a reason for it to not happen. As, for the record, what I have heard of his song sounds fine enough.

But, what if it isn't him, and the label he is with (and by extension himself) are using all this speculation to boost sales and get eyes on him and his music? Because let's face it, the other acts who have been rumoured to be representing the UK in the past (or other acts for other nations for that fact) likely saw a boost in sales and social media buzz in the run-up to the time the real act was announced. Maybe not a massive boost. But still, something that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. And given (if we are being honest) the reason why TaP (and BMG last year) are doing this is to advertise their acts and label they'll want to make sure they capitalise on all of this as much as possible.

Sure, it might well be him. But regardless I am still going to be baffled if it is him and Spaceman is his song. Not out of the quality of them, but due to how BBC and TaP will have handled the announcement of it. But that is a rant for later this week if it is him.

Hook2Hook

Yes, he performed 5 songs at Mr Podcast London and uploaded to YT at Mar 27, 2021, it got cancelled few weeks later...
I guess Gnarls Barkley - Crazy cover was the reason the full video got cancelled.

Ezio

Veteran
Very mainstream-ish, brit pop-ish, why not-ish

jeriswani

Ok, so I gave the piano version a watch. Ands its sooooo much better. I can vision the staging now it would actually work. It’s gives me Elton John vibes so if they get Sam on the piano i could actually see it doing something special in Eurovision. The song is weak but the piano version just elevates it mainly due to his vocals.

MopManMoss

Veteran
If we sent it it will be the most I like our song since 1998 but its still not anything special

MopManMoss

Veteran
Boy, will our faces be red when it turns out it isn't Sam and it is the sister of someone from Little Mix.
Sorry its either the part time bus driver cousin of someone that wrote a number 3 summer hit in 2014 or nothing

Top Bottom