Contact us

The Overrated and Underrated of 2022

Everyone's favorite thread is back for 2022 ESC Edition.

Kek...

You know the usual formula:

Overrated
[Insert country flags here]

Underrated
[Insert country flags here]

Have fun!

hpp0

Overrated: Surprisingly......none? There isn't really a song that I see too high in every ranking and I'm annoyed by it. Maybe :it: at the beginning of NF season, but is now quite forgotten. It is odd that :se: is first in so many tops when there are so many other ballads, but I also kinda get it? I too prefer it a lot more than any other ballad.

Underrated: :bg: still being last in so many rankings is very strange to me. It isn't a masterpiece but it's not horrible. I would also add :ge: & :md: but to a lesser extend and I also understand why many people might not like them.

Zonne147

Overrated:

:ua: :it:
despite probably being the two biggest contenders, neither of them gives me winning vibes

:nl: a pleasant song but top 5 in almost every poll is too much imo

:rs: I appreciate the message, but she isn't even singing and the whole three minutes are so boring, I honestly hope it's the Telemóveis of 2022 but I guess it will do well xshrug

Underrated:

:me: :md:

Ezio

Veteran
I don't want to talk about "overrated" because it's dismissive to what fans like (*cough* Halo)

I also don't want to talk about "overrated" at bookmakers, because that's what the markets try to predict, unless they are not rigged by big money flushes, and they also would take into account jury votes.

So let me talk about "underrated" entries:

:rs: is in for a huge televote :ch: has a shot at the Top 10, although I would argue that there is a lot of ballad competition this year. However, it's very unpretentious and soothingly jazzy and it gives me "Calm after the storm" underratings, and could be the winner of DACH countries.

I don't think Austria will finish outside the Top 20, but the betting markets are winning markets, and I agree that it is not winning, EDM has atrocious jury ratings to date, and I don't think Halo can change that.

I think Sweden could win this year by finishing outside of Top 3 by both juries and televotes.

popavapeur

Overrated by the bookmakers :
:ua: probably a top 5, having a hard time seeing it winning though
:uk: ok it's a good song but it's nowhere winning in my eyes, could be wrong though
:gr: i'm not even sure this will qualify, probably as Greece is having a strong support every year but being the 5th to win, am i listening to the same song ?

Overrated by the fandom :
:es: it's mostly spanish fans but Tick Tock was better than Slomo and it didn't qualify.
:rs: i'm on the train now BUT i remember the first time I heard it and I was like what the heck, i'm not even sure it'll qualify, I hope so.
:ee: okay so it's not bad but it's Victor Crone all over again.

Underrated by the bookmakers

:mk: i think this song is gonna qualify fair and square.
:ie: same as above
:me: same as above
:cz: same as above

Underrated by the fandom

:md: I can't see it below the top 10
:no: it's not that underrated by the fandom but It'll will end higher than what we expect.
:fi: kinda same than Norway, it's not that underrated but it's kinda flying under the radar while I think it's a top 10 lock for them.
:lt: this is gonna charm a lot of people in May.

Other songs kinda gets the support and critiques they deserve

I saw a lot of Italy and Sweden but both are one the best ballads this year, a Win ? maybe not but I think they're considered with fairness.
I love love love Portugal but if a lot of people don't connect to it I won't say it's underrated, it's just...people having hard time connect to it and that's it. France has fair critiques : song has potential but nobody trust France TV and they're right. Well I could go on with every country but basically what I see on this forum and all over internet is kinda fair imho.

But once again, let's wait for the staging cause some of them will only reveal themselves in May (or crash and burn)

burrito

underrated:
:bg: cmon, this song is not that bad. it's not a grammy winner but last place in every other top 40 yt ranking is just harsh
:mk: it is repetitive and gets boring fast, but it's not a bad song at all, but again so many close-to-last places are something I can't understand
:hr: is a probable nq, but it's a nice feel-good ballad and again - does not really deserve to be so far in the tops

overrated:
kill me but :se: isn't anything special, it's a well-produced and a good song, Cornelia has a really interesting voice, but the overall package just doesn't stand out that much, it's just something that's easy to listen to, but far from breathtaking
as much as I like :es: it's slightly overrated too, I can see it winning most "your tops" I've watched and honestly this kind of songs were pretty much everywhere in the late 2010's, again - it's good, but nothing special and I don't think it's a worthy winner
:lt: a little bit, I' not saying I hate the song but I just cannot see any charm in it, if anything I find it dated and I don't get why people like it so much
:at: a solid dance track but nothing much more than that

Navn Navnes

Overated

Most overrated:se: :se: :se: also overrated:no: :es: :uk:

Underrated

:pt::pt::pt::pt:
Also:me: :dk: :is: :bg:(Just OK, but far from the worst)

Off course just my opinion, no taste in music is wrong.

Last edited:

martin

Overated: ODDS

United Kingdom: This is number 4 in odds. I don,t see either jury or televoting give this huge voting and would not be surpriced if this ending out of top 10 and maybe not in top 15.

Greece: Good song, but Sweden is better and we have many others ballad. I think this will ending up around 12-15 in final

Switzerland: Number 13 in odds. I don,t think this even going to qualifly in semifinal 1

Portugal: Same like Switzerland: This could be popular around fans, but people around the world will not be crazy about this. Both this and Switzerland needs Jury votes to get good result

Slovenia: Surprice to see this qualifly in the winner odds. I don,t see that at all. Think this will get out with good margin. Don,t see either jury or televoting vote for it.

Underrated

Romania: The odds saying this number 4 last. I think this will qualifly to final. People like this kind of songs

Moldova: Another partysongs. Could see this ending up around place 10

Serbia: I don,t like it at all, but come on. Every balkan country going to give this 10 or 12 points. Also could score ok in rest of south europe/ Bulgaria, Romania and Moldova. Will probably be top 10

Malta: Could easy be a jury favorit. Would not be shocked if she get top 10. This is the kind of songs jury loves and Malta do always good on jury

Israel: I think Israel will be a shock qualifly from semifinal 2. Odds saying this will be last or very close to last place in semifinal 2

Albania: In the winner odds this will not qualifly. I,m think this going to get right in the final with no problems.

Chalphon

None of the entrys are overrated nor underrated, they are just rated. Rated by people who are individuals with differetn taste in music. Just because a song is popular with others but does not comply with your taste in music does not make it overrated, just as the opposite is true as well that just because a song you really like is unpopular among the vast majority does not make it underrated. I'm so tired of this narrative within the ESC-community. It's about taste in music, it's subjective for crying out loud.

hijirio

Veteran
None of the entrys are overrated nor underrated, they are just rated. Rated by people who are individuals with differetn taste in music. Just because a song is popular with others but does not comply with your taste in music does not make it overrated, just as the opposite is true as well that just because a song you really like is unpopular among the vast majority does not make it underrated. I'm so tired of this narrative within the ESC-community. It's about taste in music, it's subjective for crying out loud.
I see your concern, but saying a song is overrated is also a subjective statement that should be respected as an individual opinion. Often times we can even see the same song as being mentioned both underrated and overrated. It's not a fact to say something is overrated, it's just my opinion that goes like 'I cannot relate with the hype surrounding this particular entry.'

hijirio

Veteran
Overrated: UK, Italy (like every year), Greece
Underrated: Montenegro, Israel

titityy

Overrated: Only one that comes to my mind is 🇬🇷. Maybe also 🇫🇷 by the fandom (I like the song, but it's just a bit too messy so far).

Massively underrated:
🇬🇪 🇦🇱 🇲🇪 🇲🇩

Chalphon

I see your concern, but saying a song is overrated is also a subjective statement that should be respected as an individual opinion. Often times we can even see the same song as being mentioned both underrated and overrated. It's not a fact to say something is overrated, it's just my opinion that goes like 'I cannot relate with the hype surrounding this particular entry.'

Well, stating a song is over/underrated could be voiced as an oppinion. For example "I beleive you are overrestimating the appeal song A will have on the jurys, I dont think the jurys will like it that much", that's an oppinion. However, most of the time it is used as a judgement of other peoples oppinions. For instance, if a thousand people conduct a mock ranking before the competition and song A ends up in the top of the ranking. Song A is not overrated, it's rated. It's in the top because the majority of those thousand people like that particular song, stating that it's overrated is passing judgement on other peoples oppinions, not a way of voicing your own.

popavapeur

Well, stating a song is over/underrated could be voiced as an oppinion. For example "I beleive you are overrestimating the appeal song A will have on the jurys, I dont think the jurys will like it that much", that's an oppinion. However, most of the time it is used as a judgement of other peoples oppinions. For instance, if a thousand people conduct a mock ranking before the competition and song A ends up in the top of the ranking. Song A is not overrated, it's rated. It's in the top because the majority of those thousand people like that particular song, stating that it's overrated is passing judgement on other peoples oppinions, not a way of voicing your own.
It's not that deep

We're craving Eurovision and we don't have anything to do but waiting, it's just another way to express our opinions we already voiced about 10 times and keep repeating ourselves in each post like a bunch of old ladies we all are.
It's nothing and you'll see us bitching for about a whole 2 months, inventing new posts as we're trying to fill the extra void which is the month of April to express the exact same opinion with other words.

tldr ; it's fun, it's not that deep, we stupid

ati0111

Overrated: Sweden, France, Cyprus
Underrated: North Macedonia, Germany, Croatia

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Overrated: :rs: This is fandom fodder that somehow catches. Most people are just gonna see some woman hardly singing at all and washing her hands.

Underrated: :am: :md: both are gonna qualify imo and both are being overlooked. Especially Armenia because people didn't respond well initially.

Top Bottom