Contact us

The Overrated and Underrated of 2022

Everyone's favorite thread is back for 2022 ESC Edition.

Kek...

You know the usual formula:

Overrated
[Insert country flags here]

Underrated
[Insert country flags here]

Have fun!

Loindici

Veteran
OR
🇺🇦 It'll qualify, but not seeing it winning, since the white voice singer butchered their live performance a bit.
🇮🇹 I know it is loved everywhere, but it also drags. Very slowly.
🇨🇾 People can see it qualifying, for me it's dangerously forgettable.

UR
🇲🇪 Could be their Tamara moment. Watch out.
🇮🇪 Somehow I can see it qualifying, it needs a good ounce of confidence from RTÉ to do so tho.
🇱🇻 "instead of meat, I eat veggies and poosay". Let's see if it'll be viral with the press in the semifinal night.

midnightsun

Veteran
Overrated: :se: :at: :es: :al:

While I don’t count Spain & Albania as "really" overrated since it’s the usual fanboys voting for it every year, I think Sweden is heavily overrated for a generic Eurovision song with meh staging and bad live voice. Austria is also overrated since it’s cheap 90s techno but I guess some people are just happy to have some EDM track here, so I forgive them (while Sweden‘s high position is really a crime. And I say this as someone who loved a lot of Swedish entries the past years).

Underrated:

:hr: which is a sweet song almost like Lithuania 2018 only with a bit more happy vibe.

:mk: Sweden and Greece are hyped but this one isn’t although it’s basically the same music style, only that North Macedonia feels at least real and authentic?

Most underrated: :au: Why though? Sheldon has an outstanding voice and why shouldn’t he show it off? Eurovision has once been a talent show for composers in first place and really good singers in second place and now it’s basically everything but this. Yes, he‘s a bit extravagant but others are too. The song is deeply touching.

Zerocalcare

Overrated: :se: :at: :es: :al:

While I don’t count Spain & Albania as "really" overrated since it’s the usual fanboys voting for it every year, I think Sweden is heavily overrated for a generic Eurovision song with meh staging and bad live voice. Austria is also overrated since it’s cheap 90s techno but I guess some people are just happy to have some EDM track here, so I forgive them (while Sweden‘s high position is really a crime. And I say this as someone who loved a lot of Swedish entries the past years).

Underrated:

:hr: which is a sweet song almost like Lithuania 2018 only with a bit more happy vibe.

:mk: Sweden and Greece are hyped but this one isn’t although it’s basically the same music style, only that North Macedonia feels at least real and authentic?

Most underrated: :au: Why though? Sheldon has an outstanding voice and why shouldn’t he show it off? Eurovision has once been a talent show for composers in first place and really good singers in second place and now it’s basically everything but this. Yes, he‘s a bit extravagant but others are too. The song is deeply touching.
I want to comment on the songs that you think are underrated.

:hr: has a good song and I like it but it's a dated sound. It feels like going back to Lindsey Lohan's or Hilary Duff's teenage movies. "Guilty Pleasure" must be treated for what it is: a guilty pleasure.

:mk: you are absolutely right to think that it is undervalued but it is also true that this edition is full of very strong ballad songs. "Circles" is unlikely to stand out.

:au: is not underestimated. If we look at the odds and reactions on YouTube we can see that Riley is highly regarded. What makes us think that Australia is underestimated is that Riley's amazing voice seems to be on a level too far above the song which is a good ballad song but nothing special.

Hatari2600

My somewhat hot takes:

Overrated
:pl: - Don't think it will make the top 10. Juries will go for other ballads, won't get many televote points other than the regular diaspora votes.
:pt: - It's a cute little tune that I personally hope makes the final (which looking at the competition in SF1 doesn't seem impossible) but neither juries or televoters will be excited about this, just way too anonymous and low-key.
:au: - I expect another NQ for them, the competition in SF2 is a bit stronger. People are just going to be weirded out by the odd veil and the overacted emotions.

Underrated
:ch: - Not a big fan of the song myself, but looking at the odds and fan reception I think they're going to do a lot better than expected. Just screams jury wank.
:al: - With their stronger neighbor and diaspora vote I think it might do better than its most similar competitor :es:. (I see both getting their best placement in years though.)
:ge: - It will stand out so much in the crowd that I think they could pull off a surprise qualification like in 2016.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Before I clicked on this thread I already knew a German member would call :at: overrated. Every frickin year :lol:

Looren

Veteran
Overrated : :rs: :al:

Underrated : :ee: :mk: :de: :me: :am: and probably many others but I can't think of all of them now :lol:

Ezio

Veteran
I hate the "overrated" discussions. It's a word I stay away from as far as possible. It's obviously not an objective opinion.

It's a word which recently has been used liberally as a way of discrediting something without having to give a proper justification, most often when someone finds they have a disliking for a popular phenomenom/song and is resentful of those who embrace it. Often used by anti-trendies

So everything that is performing well and enjoys a positive approval rating is automatically overrated.

(y):cool:

Zerocalcare

Underrated:

:bg: "Intention" is a very basic and harmless Rock. However, it does not deserve the harsh criticism it has received. It is by no means the worst song of 2022. I think the criticism is due to the success of Måneskin and Bind Channel in 2021. Fans had high expectations of whoever brought the Rock genre this year.

:de: "Rockstars" will not be a masterpiece but it knows how to play its role: to be a radio song. It is catchy and emotional. Unlike those who prefer the rap part, I think Malik expresses himself better in the singing part (even if he doesn't have a great voice). The toxic criticism of the entry of Germany is due to the negative results of recent years. If another nation had brought "Rockstars" many fans would have been less strict.

:md: Moldova always manages to create "guilty pleasure" songs. Fans say that traditional Moldovan songs are nothing special but secretly listen to them with pleasure. Probably, Moldova will surprise us.

:pt: on the forum and on YouTube I saw that many fans reacted to "Saudade Saudade" coldly. This is because this is one of those songs that do not enter the heart immediately but it takes time to assimilate them. In betting odds, however, the position, although not very high, is more reassuring. For me, Maro and his song will grow a lot. Portugal has a song that can point to victory.

Overrated:

:al: the sound is captivating but the song is objectively weaker than that of 2021. This is one of the typical songs that many fans love to madness and then during the main event they don't vote at all.

:fr: I'm afraid we could see a "Mercy 2". Excessive enthusiasm at the beginning and, given the expectations, a disappointing result at the end. Where "Mercy" had a more powerful meaning, "Fulenn" has a more catchy sound, the distinctiveness of the Breton language and greater potential on stage. At the Eurovision Song Contest, however, we have several catchy songs and Ukrainian Ethno-Pop, success is not to be taken for granted. Let's see what happens.

:es: I know that Jonkonfui will bite into my neck but "SloMo" is a potential fader. We are not at the level of "Fuego" but at the same level, if not lower than "El Diablo". The Spanish song is full of energy, it is fascinating, a great first step but it is lacking in its most important aspect: the music. "SloMo" is a very spectacular song but it lacks substance.

:ie: not so much on the forum but on YouTube "That 'Rich" seems to be successful. Catchy song but honestly not better than the 2021 one. Probably NQ.

:it: strange to say, maybe I'm just being honest, I consider Mahmood and Blanco a little overrated. I write "a little" because every year several fans shout at Italy that it is overrated and I also see people able to put, in full bad faith, "Brividi" in twenty-third position. For me, compared to "Fai Rumore" and "Zitti e Buoni" it is a step backwards for Italy but it is not our worst song and we do not necessarily have to aim for victory. Technically the song is valid but it is also an unknown because it is very difficult to sing and to interpret. It takes just one minimal mistake to fail. Most certainly, the exact opposite of Germany, Italy enjoys a good overall rating because it brings competitive songs every year. Anyway, rest assured. The juries will take care of beating us hard (even if this year's song is one that juries always love to reward).

:se: I don't understand the enthusiasm of many fans. The Swedish ballad is technically perfect but lacking a little emotion, it's a little cold. Also, even though Cornelia is good and charming, her voice is not one of those voices that everyone agrees on. However, "Hold Me Closer" is also a song that may not be considered overrated. Many fans know of the favorable vote that Sweden can get from the juries. To say that Sweden are candidates for victory is a fact.

:ua: song much weaker than that of Alina Pas but which is enjoying an exaggerated consensus.

:gr: perhaps the most overrated song. The song is good but I don't see anything superior either to Cyprus, North Macedonia or other ballads. Indeed, even if technically it is a well constructed song, on the side of emotions and identities it is very anonymous.

Conclusion:

The other songs, the ones I haven't mentioned, are getting the right support. This year is very balanced. It would be much more correct to admit that any song could lose but also win.

midnightsun

Veteran
Before I clicked on this thread I already knew a German member would call :at: overrated. Every frickin year :lol:
At least I acknowledged that it’s overrated ;); I‘ve never dreamt I would ever say an Austrian song is overrated…
And every Austrian song since 2012 apart from Nathan Trent and Paenda was in my top 10!

Fluke

:lv: is underrated, i'm sure they will make the final and at least top 20. I don't know why Eurofans don't like it, it's a fun, catchy and well performed tune, but i'm sure the televoters will love it, and even the juries will put it far from last.

:il: is already mentioned here several times, not much more needs to be said, but i guess Eurofans find it a bit contrived and not a "authentic" gay camp entry, whatever that would mean.

:dk: , strong performance and very catchy melody, this is absolutely in the final, possibly top 15.

:be:, though i still think it might not qualify, it shouldn't be counted out, it's very competently written and performed R&B of a type we've barely ever heard in the contest, and i think he can really deliver.

On the other end, :se: might not even make the final, or end up below 15th.... the song and performance is just nothing special, and doesn't really make sense to those who don't follow Melodifestivalen, which a bizarrely large percentage of Eurofans do nowadays.

crashworld

Veteran
Overrated by Bookies & Fandom: :se: :it: :ua: :uk: :gr:
Overrated by Fandom: :ee: :al: :fr: :pt: :rs:
Underrated by Bookies & Fandom: :il: :hr: :me:
Underrated by Fandom: None

Last edited:
Top Bottom