Contact us

The Overrated and Underrated of 2022

Everyone's favorite thread is back for 2022 ESC Edition.

Kek...

You know the usual formula:

Overrated
[Insert country flags here]

Underrated
[Insert country flags here]

Have fun!

HarryUK

UK: *sends crap for years*
Also UK: *sends a really good entry that actually reflects the UK music scene and dares to be popular among fans*
ESCUnited forum: iT's sO oVeRrAtEd
:rolleyes:

Anyway...

Overrated: :it: :pt: :be: :az:
Underrated: :me: :sl: :mk: & to some extent :hr:

ESC fandom hates the balkan's this year apart from Serbia!!

midnightsun

Veteran
I love them all this year 😍

(which never happend before I think. Croatia is my #4 and North Macedonia is my #8 of all songs… Serbia would be in my top 10 too but I don’t have any space left there so I hate but it has to stay at #11).

Ajeje Brazorf

The most overhyped ones are in my opinion :it: :ua: :es:. Also slightly overhyped are :gr: :rs: :al:.

Underrated? There are a lot of underrated entries: :lt: :sl: :ge: are particularly underrated musically speaking, :cy: is a lot far from everyone's radar but it's a good song, :me: :au: are slightly underrated too. And then we have :am: e :hr:: one of the two will qualify imo. And I almost forgot :md: which I have as a clear qualifier.

Mainshow

Veteran
Underrated: :ua: *

* fans try to downgrade it because of what´s going on. It´s clearly a very Eurovision-esque entry which has always been destined to perform well in the contest (it´s ethno-influenced, authentic, fresh, original and modern at the same time). Finishing #11 in the OGAE voting is way too low, imo, and pretending it to be a "weak entry" which didn´t deserve a Top 5 spot or even Top 10 is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Overrated: :ua:
However, it´s clearly overrated when it comes to the bookies/odds. I can see them winning the televoting but the juries are a different story. I think that they will perform better than "Shum" (which already got a great Top 10 placing with the juries) but I think that overall, the juries will have a different favourite.

other entries:
:is:, :am: and :ch: are underrated amongst the fanbase. I honestly think that all three countries are on the verge of qualifying.

PolarFoxxie.

One country cannot be overrated underrated. It is either overrated or underrated. It can't be both. They said they will win televote, so how can they be underrated by fans if they will win televote. Makes no sense. I really can't decide what is more overrated. :ua: or :it:.

Citelis

It's crazy how overrated Italy is. It's difficult for me to understand how people really want that to win.

jatojo

It's crazy how overrated Italy is. It's difficult for me to understand how people really want that to win.

Isn't it to some extent a matter of how much you enjoy the falsetto? I personally don't enjoy it much, so it's definitely not the winning song for me. Having said that, I appreciate the obvious qualities of the singers - if they hit the high notes perfectly in Turin, I might have the song in my top 10.

midnightsun

Veteran
I‘m not a big fan of Italy this year either. It’s not bad but I have at least 15-20 songs I like better. For one, it’s the falsetto, yes, but also the verses are very… how can I describe this. It’s your typical Italian radio pop song, the verses are stretched like chewing gum, it’s a bit exhausting to listen to. I like the harmony of the voices in the chorus but not the falsetto. The bridge is nice too.

It’s a bit overrated, yes, but no way this is gonna win. They‘ll do a typical Italy: high in the televote, butchered by the juries. No jury will have them as their first three or even in their top 10 after they have already won last year.

In previous years (long ago) there was even a silent agreement in the juries that the winner country would not be voted for again as a winner. It obviously didn’t work for Ireland in the 90s but I think my mum told me back then there were rumours some were upset about it because it was considered "bad manners".

Top Bottom