Contact us

New Online Contest - Discuss

Evangeline

You won't be able to google translate 20 of the 22 Indian languages I suppose. I can expect people to be seriously confused about which of those languages they are listening to. Even though there will be enough languages, I don't think this will be appealing to people.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
A lot of this is easier said than done. Unless you know where to look or are very knowledgeable in the area it's going to be incredibly difficult to find a song that is worth sending. I think going down to regional dialects is just too much, you may find it easy but others wont. Making it too hard just takes all the fun out of it and people wont want to take part. Really it should be down as "Indian" or "Chinese" with all the language variations/dialects falling into one group instead of being a language on their own.

SpZ

Really it should be down as "Indian" or "Chinese" with all the language variations/dialects falling into one group instead of being a language on their own.
500 dead puppies died due to this sentence. "Indian" would be the most awkward creation ever. Languages spoken in India do not even share the same big language family. Most of European languages (for example English) are closer to Hindi for example than Telugu is (Telugu is spoken in India by 73 million people)

Evangeline

500 dead puppies died due to this sentence. "Indian" would be the most awkward creation ever. Languages spoken in India do not even share the same big language family. Most of European languages (for example English) are closer to Hindi for example than Telugu is (Telugu is spoken in India by 73 million people)

Languages that originate from India, is that something?

SpZ

Languages that originate from India, is that something?

Sure you can make such creation. While we are at it we should also make a languages originating from Europe group. Would make everything so nice and simple and get rid of the problem where people confuse Albanian being Spanish...

Is it only me or you are just trying to push the language idea into country boxes?
I do get that there may be benefit in combining some languages into language family groups. However, that should be done when a) it actually makes sense b) the languages individually are quite small. One of such groups I could see would be Sami languages. No, there is not 1 Sami language, there is like 10 different them.

Steffan

I don't see how any of these (except (2), which was suggested as a base when WV was being created but was outvoted) differ from the existing contests (or the spin-offs of same), so I am not really pro this idea. Besides, WV still has a lot of space for new people that want to join (we used to have 3 semis, but are now back to 2 because of the lack of people).

Luki

I don't see how any of these (except (2), which was suggested as a base when WV was being created but was outvoted) differ than the existing contests (or the spin-off of same), so I am not really pro this idea. Besides, WV still has a lot of space for new people that want to join (we used to have 3 semis, but are now back to 2 because of lack of people).

You're saying this as if 3 semis system was good. :'D

dogmeat

Do we really need a new contest? WV shrank recently and so did the waiting list for NSC. I'm afraid it might become a mess if there's too many contests.

But anyway, I'll take part in LSC (reserving imaginary!). And I think english should be allowed. It would be weird to give it any sort of special status and it definitely won't be winning every edition, like some people suggest. USA doesn't keep winning in FSC or WV. The reason mostly english-language songs win NSC is simply that there's simply more of them than any other. It won't happen with one english song on the field of 40. In average, they have about as much chance to appeal or not as songs in any other language.

1st idea is like an NSC spin-off, not a separate contest. 3rd brings nothing new - same format and same songs as in NSC.

CypriotGirl

Veteran
To be quite honest, I don't really like any of these ideas for a full contest. I would have preferred either a contest for oldies or a contest that will be each edition for songs from different decades. Like for example, first edition songs from the 2000's, the following one songs from the 1990's etc.

dogmeat

I'm referring to full-length films. It happened once as an unofficial NSC spin-off. It had 8 participants and finished successfully. It was abandoned at 2nd edition, though.
Show http://www.escunited.com/t10469/
Results http://www.escunited.com/t10731-2/

It would do pretty well if a separate contest for it was created, i think. And the strongest point of the idea is originality, that it's something more different to what we already have than any song contest we may think of :)

Since watching one film takes about as much time as listening to 20-25 songs, we can expect participants to watch 1 film per week. Which means:
~15 participants limit
~1 edition per quarter (3 months)

Of course, we could have a short films contest, but I guess proper movies are much more popular.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
I would have preferred either a contest for oldies or a contest that will be each edition for songs from different decades. Like for example, first edition songs from the 2000's, the following one songs from the 1990's etc.
This sounds like a really cool idea (either of the two) and something I'd definitely be on board for.

AdelAdel

To be quite honest, I don't really like any of these ideas for a full contest. I would have preferred either a contest for oldies or a contest that will be each edition for songs from different decades. Like for example, first edition songs from the 2000's, the following one songs from the 1990's etc.

Best idea so far xup

A-lister

Veteran
I really like the idea of having a film forum contest! I'd support that! :mrgreen:

Salmon

More than a week since the last post in this thread, the discussion is dead. No rhyme intended This could probably be a hint towards the fact that the market is saturated by the contests we already have; people aren't too interested in creating a new one. Heck, the NSC WL is even shrinking, Worldvision has reduced the number of semis (afaik), so we really do not need another contest for the sake of it. :rolleyes: Imho. I'm just afraid of reaching the state of the-forum-which-must-not-be-named when it comes to underpopulated contests.

I do however support weird and wacky ideas as Anything/Film Contest :mrgreen:

Top Bottom