Contact us

New Online Contest - Discuss

r3gg13

#2 sounds awesome. There was a suggestion like that 2 years ago!

Just some questions. Do you have a language reserved for you and you can only send songs in that language? Or do you participate as an individual and you can send songs in whatever language as long as there's no entry in that language for that edition?

AntiAtom

Are these the only possible options?

I would like to see a permanent folk contest, as the true way to share languages, cultures, ways of life...

LeBomb

Not really a big fan of any of the three options provided :S

May I suggest some contest ideas?

1. Hipster Song Contest:
Songs under 500,000 views on youtube allowed only (songs used in WV, FSC, or NSC also cannot take part).

2. Region Song Contest:
Every edition a new region is selected (eg. Nordic, Balkans) and participants will choose songs from these regions.

3. Genre Song Contest:
As the title suggests. Winner chooses a new genre.

4. New Releases Contest:
Everyone reserves a country. They send a song that has been recently released.

5. Decade Song Contest:
New edition, change of decade.

6. Forum World Song Contest:
There would only be 2 editions per year (Summer and Winter editions). Everyone picks a country, they can have NFs, etc. One contest will last 3-4 months. Definitely a good break from the fast paced contests we currently have.

Just some suggestions, because the current 3 don't seem appealing at all and won't probably work in the long run. :D
(I know it says to PM you but wouldn't it be better if the whole forum can discuss instead of you choosing ones that tickles your fancy? Feel free to delete this post however)

MrGerbear

I'll throw my support onto Option 1. It would give us an opportunity to find music that's underrepresented in the contests here. :D I would love to host/mod for this one day too.

The problem with Option 2 is that there is no strict definition between certain languages and dialects, and it would be a lot of effort (and political debate) for anything to be agreed upon. Also, this would just end up looking like FSC except only one country can send English. :V

As for Option 3, I don't see an advantage in secrecy, really?

DanielLuis

I think 1 and 3 are pretty good ideas. The Secret Song Contest could be hard to do but I'd like that one a lot.

DanielLuis

I'll throw my support onto Option 1. It would give us an opportunity to find music that's underrepresented in the contests here. :D I would love to host/mod for this one day too.

The problem with Option 2 is that there is no strict definition between certain languages and dialects, and it would be a lot of effort (and political debate) for anything to be agreed upon. Also, this would just end up looking like FSC except only one country can send English. :V

As for Option 3, I don't see an advantage in secrecy, really?

Well one positive of option 3 is that people would judge the songs based on just that - the songs. No bias towards the member who send the songs would happen at all.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Just some suggestions, because the current 3 don't seem appealing at all and won't probably work in the long run. :D
(I know it says to PM you but wouldn't it be better if the whole forum can discuss instead of you choosing ones that tickles your fancy? Feel free to delete this post however)

Incoming :roll:

Yes, I'm picking what "tickles my fancy" which is why we're having an open discussion.

r3gg13

In terms of the contest, as long as there is a consistent way of defining what is a language and what is as a dialect, things could work well.

---

If #2 were to be chosen, it would be great if you register as an individual and not as a "language." It would make your choices more flexible :)

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Option 1 would be awesome. I'd be so down for that.

strajker

I still support Anything Contest.

Milos-BC

I am personally all the way for #3 :D

CPV4931

I´m also a fan of #3.
And I don´t think it will be such a big problem if some member secretely would know which song a friend of him sent (although it shouldn´t be the case of course) as (at least in my case) I wouldn´t vote for a song I don´t like just for the reason a friend of mine sent it.

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
3rd option seems fine to me! There is FSC on OGAY Serbia Forum with that format and it's doing pretty good.

Evangeline

I wonder about the capacity of the language contest option. How many languages are actually 'useable'? As in that you will have enough song choices to choose for yourself, and that the choices won't run out for future jurors. Given that people want to exclude major languages like German, French, Spanish and English only lowers the amount of languages we can use, just like that dialects of certain languages ( I am talking about real dialects within a country and not between different countries, because I do understand that one) are excluded. I'll give it 40 languages max, and I don't even think it will ever hit that amount.

Then, the song selection. I have been the Chinese juror in WV for some time, but I still can't tell all the Chinese languages apart. I almost never know whether my song is in Cantonese or Mandarin, or a Tibetan/Mongolian dialect. Someone said the same about a Ukrainian band singing in Russian. It will just be too difficult. There are of course members outside of the contest that can help, but it shouldn't be the case that they will be constantly bothered by us.

SpZ

I wonder about the capacity of the language contest option. How many languages are actually 'useable'? As in that you will have enough song choices to choose for yourself, and that the choices won't run out for future jurors. Given that people want to exclude major languages like German, French, Spanish and English only lowers the amount of languages we can use, just like that dialects of certain languages ( I am talking about real dialects within a country and not between different countries, because I do understand that one) are excluded. I'll give it 40 languages max, and I don't even think it will ever hit that amount.

Then, the song selection. I have been the Chinese juror in WV for some time, but I still can't tell all the Chinese languages apart. I almost never know whether my song is in Cantonese or Mandarin, or a Tibetan/Mongolian dialect. Someone said the same about a Ukrainian band singing in Russian. It will just be too difficult. There are of course members outside of the contest that can help, but it shouldn't be the case that they will be constantly bothered by us.

Eh unless it is a really unknown song, it is quite easy to either a) browser for example the youtube comments about in what language it is b) google translate the lyrics/song title to get the language.

About the number of languages? I think you are doing a serious underestimation here. I'd say that every language with at least 1mil speakers is "usable" (and many which have less that that - eg icelandic). Even in India alone you have 22 languages which have over 1 million speakers and are official in some regions - therefor have a widespread enough usage to find songs in.

Top Bottom