Melodifestivalen 2023 has now come to a close. After 28 songs, across 5 weeks, with 4 heats and 1 semi-final, we finally have a winner!
Tonight’s final was broadcast live from Stockholm’s Friends Arena, where thousands of fans crammed in to watch Sweden’s biggest TV show. Farah Abadi and Jesper Rohndahl guided us through the 12 acts vying to compete at Eurovision this year.
The running order of the show was as follows:
- Jon Henrik Fjällgren, Arc North Feat. Adam Woods – Where You Are
- Tone Sekelius – Rhythm Of My Show
- Mariette – One Day
- Marcus & Martinus – Air
- Panetoz – On My Way
- Maria Sur – Never Give Up
- Smash Into Pieces – Six Feet Under
- Kiana – Where Did You Go
- Nordman – Släpp Alla Sorger
- Loreen – Tattoo
- THEOZ – Mer Av Dig
- Paul Rey – Royals
Sweden’s Eurovision selection was chosen by a 50/50 split international jury/televote. More information on this and previous results can be found in our preview to the show.
Finally, following a fantastic show, it was time to get the results and find out our winner. This year’s International Juries came from Australia, Belgium, Croatia, Latvia, Malta, Spain, Germany and Austria. Here were the top three from each jury:
- Croatia: 8 points to Loreen, 10 to Paul Rey, 12 to Theoz.
- Austria: 8 to Marcus & Martinus, 10 to Paul Rey, 12 to Loreen.
- Latvia: 8 to Marcus & Martinus, 10 to Kiana, 12 to Loreen.
- Belgium: 8 to Paul Rey, 10 to Marcus & Martinus, 12 to Loreen.
- Malta: 8 to Paul Rey, 10 to Marcus & Martinus, 12 to Loreen.
- Australia: 8 to Smash Into Pieces, 10 to Marcus & Martinus, 12 to Loreen.
- Germany: 8 to Kiana, 10 to Marcus & Martinus, 12 to Loreen.
- Spain: 8 to Marcus & Martinus, 10 to Smash Into Pieces, 12 to Loreen.
A whopping 92 out of the 96 available points went to Loreen!
“My hope was to create something that you loved, and I’m very happy to [have done so],” remarked Loreen upon winning the International Jury vote.
After all that, it was time for the televote. An incredible 960,000 votes were cast! Points were awarded as they are in Eurovision from the lowest scorer in the jury to the highest.
- Nordman: 36 points from the public
- Maria Sur: 37 points
- Tone: 5 points
- Panetoz: 25 points
- Jon Henrik: 58 points
- Mariette: 16 points
- Kiana: 39 points
- Theoz: 36 points
- Smash Into Pieces: 59 points
- Paul Rey: 1 point
- Marcus & Martinus: 67 points
- Loreen: 85 points
Sweden’s Entrant for Eurovision 2023 is Loreen!
Loreen (Lorine Talhaoui) is of course known to Eurovision fans for her iconic 2012 victory with “Euphoria.” She has returned to Melodifestivalen before — in 2017, with “Statements” — but that song did not progress to Sweden’s final. Tonight’s win enables Loreen to return to Eurovision, over a decade after her landslide in Baku.
“Tattoo” was written by Loreen alongside Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt, Moa Carlebecker, Jimmy Jansson, Thomas G:son and Peter Boström.
As of the time of writing, “Tattoo” has amassed over 8 million streams on Spotify. Loreen’s deltävling performance, posted to the official Melodifestivalen YouTube channel, has racked up an impressive 2.7 million views.
Perhaps most impressively of all, “Tattoo” has already gained chart attention outside of Sweden, even prior to Loreen’s win. The Big Top 40, a UK chart show, noted that Loreen has already entered its chart, debuting at number 37. The show arranges chart data based on Apple Music and ITunes figures, as well as the amount of airplay given to songs on radio stations.
Are #YOU happy with Sweden’s choice? Let us know down below in the comments, on social media @ESCUnited, on our Forum, or on our Discord!
You must be logged in to post a comment.