Lisbon, 21 January 2022
Portuguese broadcaster RTP have unveiled the 20 songs set to participate in Festival da Canção this year. The Portuguese music festival, renowned for its unique and forward-thinking approach to live music and for its killer fashion, will deliver Portugal’s participant for the upcoming Eurovision Song Contest in Turin.
Here’s the list of acts competing in FdC this year:
- Aurea – Why?
- Blacci – “Mar no fim“
- Cubita – “Uma mensagem tua“
- Diana Castro – “Ginger ale“
- Fado Bicha – “Povo pequenino“
- FF – “Como é bom esperar“
- Inês Homem de Melo – “Fome de viagem“
- Jonas – “Pontas soltas“
- Kumpania Algazarra – “A minha praia“
- MARO – “saudade, saudade“
- Milhanas – “Corpo de mulher“
- Norton – “Hope“
- Os Azeitonas – “Solta a voz e canta“
- Os Quatro e Meia – “Amanhã“
- O Vampiro Submarino – “Ao lado de mim“
- Pepperoni Passion – “Código 30“
- Pongo & Tristany – “DÉGRÁ.DÊ“
- SYRO – “Ainda no temos“
- TheMisterDriver – “Calisun“
- Valas & Os Astronautas – “Odisseia“
All songs can be listened to via this playlist, or via Eurovision.tv’s official website HERE.
Four of the artists (Inês, TheMisterDriver, Pepperoni Passion and Os Quatro e Meia) won their place via an Open Call competition, while the other 16 artists were invited by RTP to compete.
The Portugese selection will have three live shows, including two semifinals on 5 and 12 March. Each Semifinal will have 10 participants, five of which will qualify for the final on 19 March. The results will be decided by a 50/50 between a jury of music industry professionals and audience votes.
In the finale, the professional jury will be substituted with seven regional juries, one for each major Portugese region.
Portugal have been one of Eurovision’s most hapless countries for a long while until their 2017 victory in Kyiv by jazz singer Salvador Sobral. Sobral currently holds the record for the most crushing victory in Eurovision, scoring a gargantuan 758 points over Bulgaria’s 615. (For a comparison, Måneskin won Eurovision with “merely” 524 points). Last year’s entrant, “Love is on my side” by The Black Mamba placed a respectable 12th in Rotterdam.
What do #YOU think of this FdC line-up? Do #YOU think another qualification is in the cards? Let us know in the comments, on social media or on our forum HERE.
The 20 acts will
You must be logged in to post a comment.