Сію-вію, сію-вію зеленесеньки

Гей розплетися, Шуме, розплетися,
Зеленим барвінком та й застелися
Сію-вію, сію-вію конопелечки
Сію-вію, сію-вію зеленесеньки​

Last edited by a moderator:

mauve

Veteran
I didn't like Solovey too much (it was somewhere in the middle for me), Shum is by far better. Yes, I was also used to the longer version, but I think the ESC-version now is also fantastic. Different, but still fantastic. And I can't wait to see that live!

Loindici

Veteran
By the way, SHUM seems to be the only entry video clip without an intro. i don't know what's significant about it, but could SHUM be our next hit?

Elina UA

Live performance in the morning show on the most popular commercial channel:
https://www.facebook.com/Ranok.Ukraina/videos/462968325026176
(7:09)
1f525.png

or Insta: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMfElxtHnlE/

It does sound like a playback but it's not (just a mic & sound preset for this studio) o_O
Omg, her vocals are outstanding xheat as always. And she has so much charisma i'm dead! Dead! And i love their black outfits. The band members really couldn't stop dancing to this banger.xyaay

A-lister

Veteran
I really really hope that for once in their narrow-minded lives, the juries will actually appreciate something different and vote for something that is forward-thinking, modern and different from the pack, yet still a true representation of the country's music scene and in the meantime authentic and quality (and not just different for the sake of being different), and also appreciate that she is a good vocalist and that not everything needs to sound like someone trying to become an American Idol. If they truly are these "music experts" that people claim them to be, then they should finally show that!

I have little hopes on the juries though, they committed so many crimes since they were brought back that I can't count it any longer, so I am really worried this will be unfairly downvoted but I still hope for a change in attitude...

midnightsun

Veteran
Their performance was so good! I really really hope juries as well as the audience will appreciate it. I would love to see Kateryna bouncing and jumping around but she‘d be probably out of breath then.

Iker

Veteran
I really really hope that for once in their narrow-minded lives, the juries will actually appreciate something different and vote for something that is forward-thinking, modern and different from the pack, yet still a true representation of the country's music scene and in the meantime authentic and quality (and not just different for the sake of being different), and also appreciate that she is a good vocalist and that not everything needs to sound like someone trying to become an American Idol. If they truly are these "music experts" that people claim them to be, then they should finally show that!

I have little hopes on the juries though, they committed so many crimes since they were brought back that I can't count it any longer, so I am really worried this will be unfairly downvoted but I still hope for a change in attitude...
I can see the juries shamelessly rating Slovenian cheesy gospel above this, sadly. If dull Slovenia qualifies and Ukraine does not I will be very angry.

A-lister

Veteran
I can see the juries shamelessly rating Slovenian cheesy gospel above this, sadly. If dull Slovenia qualifies and Ukraine does not I will be very angry.

This! And this is why I really don't think they add anything to the contest tbh, if they are supposed to be "musical experts" they should show that, treating the contest as some sort of American Idol audition doesn't make you an expert in music xshrug

midnightsun

Veteran
I myself at least am happy I was able to discover them thanks to Eurovision. They are now among my favourite ESC artists ever! They have SO much good stuff out there apart from their Eurovision songs.
In a fair world every jury would recognize their quality and not because it’s just outstanding and so different than other songs.

Iker

Veteran
This! And this is why I really don't think they add anything to the contest tbh, if they are supposed to be "musical experts" they should show that, treating the contest as some sort of American Idol audition doesn't make you an expert in music xshrug
They are though needed as they add some balance (and they effectively nullify circus/joke entries and partially alleviate that so-called diaspora effect) but I would like them to appreciate more classy ethnic entries like this one. We would have ended up with some awful winners instead in the past without them like Babushki from Russia in 2012 instead of glorious Loreen. And it is interesting that usually neither jury or TV-standalone winners are my own winners but combined together they more often than not are identical with my own personal view like in 2016 for instance or in 2019.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
They are though needed as they add some balance (and they effectively nullify circus/joke entries and partially alleviate that so-called diaspora effect) but I would like them to appreciate more classy ethnic entries like this one. We would have ended up with some awful winners instead in the past without them like Babushki from Russia in 2012 instead of glorious Loreen. And it is interesting that usually neither jury or TV-standalone winners are my own winners but combined together they more often than not are identical with my own personal view like in 2016 for instance or in 2019.

Well, if that's what the juries did then sure, but to come in the contest and destroy all the more interesting or authentic entries, then we have a problem.

Anyways Sweden won the televotes in 2012 as well, so it's not a factual statement. I liked the Babushki too though, although obviously not on the same level as Loreen, but in the end "Euphoria" would have won even without juries.

I think we also need to separate a "joke entry" from something that is just fun and entertaining but still adds value to the contest (like Verka and Babushki did for instance).

Eurovision and music can't always be dead serious and forget the fun, people need different things in life. The problem were entries that mocked the contest and clearly put there to take a p*ss and troll it all, that's a different category (like "Ireland le douze points" or Silvia Night for instance). Notice that many of these pure joke/mock entries actually came from western countries btw!

Elina UA

mocked the contest and clearly put there to take a p*ss and troll it all, that's a different category (like "Ireland le douze points" or Silvia Night for instance)
I love joke entries so much! If I decided, they would win every freaking year. :lol: Apparently, Europe doesn't appreciate them these days, thus we had only Slavko Kalezić and Hatari in the recent 5 years. Such a shame Armenia didn't send Kamil Show in 2018... I need a separate European contest for people who have self-irony and don't take life so seriously.xcookiexyaay

A-lister

Veteran
I love joke entries so much! If I decided, they would win every freaking year. :lol: Apparently, Europe doesn't appreciate them these days, thus we had only Slavko Kalezić and Hatari in the recent 5 years. Such a shame Armenia didn't send Kamil Show in 2018... I need a separate European contest for people who have self-irony and don't take life so seriously.xcookiexyaay

I wouldn't call Hatari a joke entry xshrug

Slavko wasn't technically a joke entry either but unintentionally came across as a big joke :lol:

I do agree that Eurovision should also be a space for something light-hearted and "fun", but I do think there's a difference between a let's say "fun and entertaining" entry and an entry that simply is a joke, the latter I have little respect for.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
I'm actually worried the juries will treat this as a joke entry. Music critics very often give music I like low scores, and I can easily see that happening with this one too. It stands out from all the others, and I'm not convinced that the juries and "experts" will see that as a good thing.

Wondering what the reactions in NRK's "Adresse Rotterdam" and SVT's "Inför ESC" programs will be, but it wouldn't shock me if they are negative. Neither of them included Solovey in their shows last year. NRK only mentioned 12 of the "favorites", but Ukraine wasn't one of them. SVT had a dream final program, where 25 of the songs was voted in by the public (if I remember correctly), together with the Swedish entry. Ukraine wasn't voted in.

A-lister

Veteran
I'm actually worried the juries will treat this as a joke entry. Music critics very often give music I like low scores, and I can easily see that happening with this one too. It stands out from all the others, and I'm not convinced that the juries and "experts" will see that as a good thing.

Wondering what the reactions in NRK's "Adresse Rotterdam" and SVT's "Inför ESC" programs will be, but it wouldn't shock me if they are negative. Neither of them included Solovey in their shows last year. NRK only mentioned 12 of the "favorites", but Ukraine wasn't one of them. SVT had a dream final program, where 25 of the songs was voted in by the public (if I remember correctly), together with the Swedish entry. Ukraine wasn't voted in.

The Swedish "pre-show" last year was a big mess of a trainwreck, SVT basically spit on Eurovision as a whole with "that" concept xshrug

I feel like Eurovision has taken big steps backwards when juries were re-introduced, they've been pushing this narrative that "only" westernized Pop in English and conventional "Americanized" ballads are "real music", completely dismissing the concept of Eurovision and the diversity of this continent when they ought to embrace it.

The general masses unfortunately tend to support what they're used to, but I still feel the public is more open minded, but it's more problematic when so called "experts" dismiss all music that doesn't fit a set formula.

Top Bottom