Contact us

The 'RIP MSN' Thread - DO NOT MERGE (See Post #11)

Liam

So as most of you know, Windows Live Messenger could cease to exist in around 24 hours :'S *takes a moment to cry*

It will start with English-speaking countries on April 8th, and will do it country by country until April 30th...

Anyways, since MSN NSC, results convos and group chats in general are such a big part of the NSC Community, I have been searching for similar programs after realising that Skype is crap, by sending missed group chat messages for about 20 minutes, constantly, after signing on... kinda annoying xD So that's Skype's biggest drawback for me, and I won't even start mentioning Hall. Since no one is actually online right now, with it being 4:30am CET (not even Strajker wuuut? jk), I'll post one of my findings here for those who reallllly detest Skype.

Digsby:

"One combined buddy list for all your AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber, and Facebook Chat Accounts.
Manage multiple conversations with tabbed conversation windows. You can drag tabs out into their own windows for important conversations.
Rename contacts with an alias so you don't have to remember buddy names like 'giantsfan123'.
If one of your friends has more than one IM account you can combine them into a single merged contact to eliminate duplicate buddies.
Send your friends SMS messages right from the IM window.
The InfoBox lets you check everyone's status message and profile just by moving your mouse down the list.
Changing your status has never been easier. just one click right on the buddy list!
Multitask while you chat. Minimize the IM window and you see popups of new IM's. Best of all, you can reply right from the popup and get back to what you were doing.
Log conversation history and find the information you need with our search-enabled log viewer."

Digsby = IM + Email + Social Networks

Anyway, right now, I am going to do the inevitable... upgrade to Skype! woowoo!

Liam

Re: The 'RIP MSN' Thread

Ooh another program which I forgot to post, which is aesthetically better, is Trillian.

https://www.trillian.im/

My personal choice. But it doesn't really matter which one you use, as you can chat to your Hotmail contacts who are using Trillian, Digsby or Skype.

Liam

Review: The process was relatively easy, and it merged my Skype account with my Hotmail account, so I can chat to both contacts at the same time, without changing my Skype name :D The only annoying thing is seeing duplicate contacts, e.g. someone who is online on MSN and online on Skype, using two separate accounts, but this should disappear when they merge the accounts. Another thing is that the contacts list just looks very cluttered, but if that's the only thing, then so be it :D

Gonna delete some veeeeeery old MSN contacts now lolol

strajker

Since no one is actually online right now, with it being 4:30am CET (not even Strajker wuuut? jk), I'll post one of my findings here for those who reallllly detest Skype.

Haha, I had internet problems. So I've left at like 4:01 CET didn't bother trying to come back.

Yoni

I can truly say, this was one of the best nights in my life, thank you so much guys xheart

Luki

Great once I merged msn with skype, my skype won't work... goodbye forever! :( RIP MSN! xcry

anselm

A glorious era ended tonight. The almost six (!) years I spent with you on MSN were truly unforgettable. You guys made me laugh myself to tears countless times, helped me in difficult situations and often managed to broaden my horizons. I even ended up meeting some of you in person! This evening reminded me once again how undoubtedly amazing and unique our community is. I love each one of you with your own personal quirks and character traits. I hope - and I'm confident - that the loss of this cornerstone of our community doesn't mean that we can't keep up the great friendships that we've built up over so many years.

xheart

And I'm also quite sure that I won't ever beat this post when it comes to cheesiness.

Liam

Re: The 'RIP MSN' Thread - DO NOT MERGE

People who have been merging their accounts are getting duplicate contacts and there isn't anything that will fix it - even when they merge too, the duplicates stay. I guess you could delete them individually, but it saves the hassle to just make a new Skype name and post it in this thread. One of us will add you, and convos will help us figure out everyone's name.

Or you can PM me if you prefer, I have most people's Skype names anyway.

Oh and if you already merged, just sign in with your Skype name, and it will unmerge it xD Contrary to the first post, it's probably better to just abandon your Hotmail account altogether, as not everyone is merging.

Jeffie

I missed the end of MSN?! :( Well I can still be online on Messenger today... Wonder how long I still can be that XD

strajker

Messenger has moved to Skype - Microsoft Windows Help

* If you have a Mac operating system earlier than OSX or a Windows operating system earlier than Windows XP, you won't be able to update to Skype. Messenger will continue to be available on these operating systems until it is discontinued later in 2013.

SO, WE CAN LIKE GET VIRTUAL MACHINES AND LIKE, INSTALL MSN ON THOSE AND LIKE HAVE MSN!

Sean

Admin
Staff member
"MSN will stop working on April 8th" Microsoft giggled, lying through their teeth.

Top Bottom