13 6.1%

8 3.8%

7 3.3%

10 4.7%

19 9.0%

• Total voters

tuorem

Re: THE NETHERLANDS 2018

I liked Waylon in 2014 and loved "Calm After The Storm" (my personal winner), but this looks like a lazy choice to me.

Unless a big surprise, I can't see him bring something else than a country music-flavoured entry, which particularly annoys me because it seems like the Dutch don't have anything else in store.

If the song is right up my alley, it'll still be cool but I regret the Dutch aren't more adventurous.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

I liked Waylon in 2014 and loved "Calm After The Storm" (my personal winner), but this looks like a lazy choice to me.

Unless a big surprise, I can't see him bring something else than a country music-flavoured entry, which particularly annoys me because it seems like the Dutch don't have anything else in store.

If the song is right up my alley, it'll still be cool but I regret the Dutch aren't more adventurous.

Exactly what I'm thinking, it will be the 3rd country song in 5 years. Regurgitating the same thing over and over. I don't like the other song posted to show his other styles either, in fact I dislike it more than the country songs. I wasn't a fan of the 2016 country song at first, but I come round to it And quite enjoyed it by the time of Eurovision. So i hope it will be more like that one than 2014. :? Although I'd rather the Netherlands will show something that they haven't shown since their reincarnation.

hunty73

Calm after the Storm worked so well because of the chemistry (even if it wasnt real) and the camera work and eye contact invited you into a love affair.A bloke singing a country song in a John Wayne hat isnt exactly going to do a repeat.Talented guy,but i think its more likely not to work.

Sammy

Veteran

It's definitely not Sharon.

Who had the idea to this video. It's really gross!
- he doesn't wash his hands after going to the toilet
- he's living like a messy
- he's using capsules for his coffee
- these slippers are disgustingly ugly
- he's worshipping himself (aka hat)

xpuke

I very doubt that Waylon truly sees himself like this nor that he actually is such an unpleasant guy, so why portray him like he was a total jerk?

ZoboCamel

I never quite got all the hype around the 2014 Dutch entry, and would've loved to see Sharon get the pick here, but Waylon's a pretty good choice. It'd be great to see him in with something rockier like Love Drunk, which I much preferred over his Eurovision duet:

ES2011

Exactly what I'm thinking, it will be the 3rd country song in 5 years. Regurgitating the same thing over and over. I don't like the other song posted to show his other styles either, in fact I dislike it more than the country songs. I wasn't a fan of the 2016 country song at first, but I come round to it And quite enjoyed it by the time of Eurovision. So i hope it will be more like that one than 2014. :? Although I'd rather the Netherlands will show something that they haven't shown since their reincarnation.

Indeed, I'd rather see more of those 10+ ballads we see every year, because that stuff never gets old :lol:

But I also very much dissaprove for Waylon as our ESC entry. Not because it is country, but because both his personality and personal brand music is dull and superficial. Just a 'pretty face' and a nice voice with no creativity or substance. I will always cherish 'Calm after the Storm', but I credit 90% of that act to Ilse de Lange. The reason why they broke up is because Waylon wanted a bigger voice, which if we would have, I doubt we would have ended with second place.

Shame, another wasted year, I will predict will be bland and mediocre and will dissapear among the sea of songs this year.

ES2011

xpuke

I very doubt that Waylon truly sees himself like this nor that he actually is such an unpleasant guy, so why portray him like he was a total jerk?

I can only speak for myself, but this perfectly represents the public image of Waylon for me. I'm not an expert on Waylon, but whenever I see him on tv, wheter it be a talkshow or an interview, I always see him as obnoxious. He thinks way to high of himself.

visstick

Mwah. Waylon actually more known for his soul and funk music here in the Netherlands. Big chance it won't be country.

visstick

xpuke

Srsly? It's a joke. He's mocking the image media created around him. :p

0scar

At least he's going to be in it to win it. With 2014 in mind he's probably not going for less and I am pretty sure he wants to prove something to Ilse.. xwhistle

EscGeek

Veteran

I don't like "calm after the storm" but i do love waylon's songs like "Love drunk", "Giving up easy, "Lose it" and so on, so i'd say it's a good choice

I hope for a "rougher" song this time :mrgreen:

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

I hope it will be something more promising than that borefest called "Calm after the storm" :"D If we really had to recycle 1/2 of the Common Linnets again I'd have chosen Ilse DeLange instead of him tbh.

figaro

Re: THE NETHERLANDS 2018 - Waylon

his song with Ilse was boring. he should try something more upbeat for Lisbon.

Timsa

People who think that Waylon only makes country style songs based on CATS :lol:

A-lister

Veteran

Country? So yet another Americanized middle-of-the-road safe entry to please the juries? Meh... lame
But i'll wait until I hear the entry but doesn't look promising on paper...

tuorem

Mwah. Waylon actually more known for his soul and funk music here in the Netherlands. Big chance it won't be country.

You know, I only ask to be surprised and proven wrong!

The thing is whoever had a say in your song selection in recent years had a particular liking for country music (it can't be just a coincidence given the success of "Calm After The Storm") and, as Waylon is mostly known internationally for his duet with Ilse, I don't think it's a crazy idea to expect an umpteenth round of country music (because it worked for you in the past).

Personally: the more adventurous, the better. I precisely hope you guys go out of your comfort zone.

If Waylon brings soul and funk - or any other genre except country music - to the party, then it can only be refreshing. The last you need is to persevere in one single music genre.

Top Bottom