Contact us

The Netherlands THE NETHERLANDS 2014 - The Common Linnets - Calm After The Storm

How do you rate the entry?

210 55.3%

33 8.7%

21 5.5%

25 6.6%

19 5.0%

13 3.4%

7 1.8%

12 3.2%

13 3.4%

6 1.6%

21 5.5%

• Total voters

Mozz

Believe me: Laura's announcement is just the start. One of the first sheep to follow Anouk. Soon we'll see other well-known Dutch artists' names popping up and showing interest. Especially in the months after Anouk's result in Malmö (and I assume she'll have a decent result, based on the big polls so far). So it wouldn't shock me if we suddenly hear from Caro, Delain and who else.. and maybe, just maybe WT.

I feel very mixed about this. I'm glad if they will, but they've always shunned ESC until Anouks participation this year.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Believe me: Laura's announcement is just the start. One of the first sheep to follow Anouk. Soon we'll see other well-known Dutch artists popping up and showing interest. Especially in the months after Anouk's result in Malmö (and I assume she'll have a decent result, based on the big polls so far). So it wouldn't shock me if suddenly hear from Caro, Delain and who else.. and maybe, just maybe WT.

I feel very mixed about this. I'm glad if they will, but they've always shunned ESC until Anouks participation this year.

I'm sure it can only be a good thing though? That is if you like the big names of dutch music? I can't say I know any dutch artists apart from Wouter who I love a lot. What is his status in The Netherlands? Is he a big artist who's in the public eye?

Mozz

I'm sure it can only be a good thing though? That is if you like the big names of dutch music? I can't say I know any dutch artists apart from Wouter who I love a lot. What is his status in The Netherlands? Is he a big artist who's in the public eye?

His status? I think he's single at the moment, but I'm not sure. He was a few years ago.

In :nl: he's like hmmm, let's say, an artist for music lovers with a developed taste. Not a mainstream name, that's certain.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
His status? I think he's single at the moment, but I'm not sure. He was a few years ago.

In :nl: he's like hmmm, let's say, an artist for music lovers with a developed taste. Not a mainstream name, that's certain.

:shock:xrofl

Oh I see. So even in a small, humble country such as The Netherlands, great music it would appear avoids the mainstream? So yeah it's probably unlikely that he'd ever do it then.

Oh well, in that case lets get Sieneke again. Maybe it can be Sieneke ft. The Toppers.. and I would like another joyous piece of carnival music that sounds like the organ player is on drugs when the crazy clown music speeds up towards the end. Make this happen for me please Mozz. Thank you.

Mozz

:shock:xrofl

Oh I see. So even in a small, humble country such as The Netherlands, great music it would appear avoids the mainstream? So yeah it's probably unlikely that he'd ever do it then.

Oh well, in that case lets get Sieneke again. Maybe it can be Sieneke ft. The Toppers.. and I would like another joyous piece of carnival music that sounds like the organ player is on drugs when the crazy clown music speeds up towards the end. Make this happen for me please Mozz. Thank you.

No, it's not like that...Sieneke and The Toppers are not what people want now, since they've failed. Especially after some success from Anouk (I assume she'll qualify), more and more Dutch will realize and agree that music like Shine from The Toppers won't work anymore at Eurovision (Sieneke doesn't need any discussion, her type of music is despised by the majority)

Wouter has had some moderate success here. He's not exactly a nobody in his country. But he doesn't enjoy the fame and admiration he has in East Asia.

Hmm, honestly I can't imagine him at Eurovision, with his (otherwise great) repertoire. He would be like ByeAlex or so I suppose: loved by quite a bunch of music lovers, but not supported enough by the vast majority of voters.

lowyby

Thanks for sharing Laura Jansen's music, Queen of Elba is like THE perfect song in my opinion, this is so going on my iPod. If she'd send a song like this, I think she'll do an Alexander Rybak/Loreen by finishing in 300 points, not kidding, I think that's possible.

The thing about Anouk opening the stage to other good artists is a nice fact, but the question remains how the Netherlands have to cope with the selection.
If they go with an internal selection again, it's more possible to have someone like Laura Jansen, but if they do a national selection (weren't they planning on that?), they'd possibly go to the dark situation pre 2013 again :s

Wolf7

No, non of these "big names" please. Eurovision couldn't give a darn if they are famous here. I want some hot guy singing, with some hot as can be dancers around him. Kind of like the act of Linda in 2000. The Netherlands needs to get more free and humble with Eurovision as that apparently is what a lot of countries like. We always play on safe and that hasn't helped us at all.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
No, it's not like that...Sieneke and The Toppers are not what people want now, since they've failed. Especially after some success from Anouk (I assume she'll qualify), more and more Dutch will realize and agree that music like Shine from The Toppers won't work anymore at Eurovision (Sieneke doesn't need any discussion, her type of music is despised by the majority)

Wouter has had some moderate success here. He's not exactly a nobody in his country. But he doesn't enjoy the fame and admiration he has in East Asia.

Hmm, honestly I can't imagine him at Eurovision, with his (otherwise great) repertoire. He would be like ByeAlex or so I suppose: loved by quite a bunch of music lovers, but not supported enough by the vast majority of voters.

Ah ok, I see. I think Wouter's music would fare a lot better at Eurovision than ByeAlex (even though we don't know their fate yet) as his music actually has a bit of drive behind it. A few of his previous songs I could imagine working really well. He'd probably get the jury vote as well regardless of whether the public were behind him or not. I think his music is actually quite respected and enjoyed by certain crowds in my country. There was a slight buzz about him a few years back when his music was being used in an advert on the bbc. I've heard him on the radio a few times too. I still think "Breezy" is the coolest most... well breezy song everxyes

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
No, non of these "big names" please. Eurovision couldn't give a darn if they are famous here. I want some hot guy singing, with some hot as can be dancers around him. Kind of like the act of Linda in 2000. The Netherlands needs to get more free and humble with Eurovision as that apparently is what a lot of countries like. We always play on safe and that hasn't helped us at all.

But I don't think conforming to Eurovision cliches of hot men and dancers is exactly more free and humble. The best thing is to just send something thats good which you have done this year.

Charly

TROS has merged with Avro, with the urge of the Dutch Government AvroTROS has confirmed Netherlands participation for 2014 with most likely Nationaal Songfestival returning!

Impressive

Banned
I bet :nl: will send something ballad.

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laura Jansen pls! Something like "Queen of Elba"! xcheer

Imagine Laura Jansen with something in the style of ''Queen of Elba''! It's just amazing and I think they'll have finally a big chance of actually winning the contest. She even wants to represent The Netherlands, because she said that recently on a Dutch radio station. She is not a VERY big star in the NL, but being a big star doesn't have any adventage (f.e. Germany 2013, UK 2012, 2011)

Stuff

Why dont they stick with internal selection? Look how Anouk helped them.

Terence

Agree. Just pick Ilse de Lange internally!

wlhlwn

Ooh Queen of Elba by Laura Jansen, why you did not send her instead of Anouk? :eek: It would beat Denmark definately!!!!!

Krishoes

The result of Anouk has been a miracle. I hope they'll go ahead in this way, trying to send on the stage well-known artists of the Dutch scene.

Top Bottom