Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices voices
Can you hear them
A million voices​

Last edited by a moderator:

FilipFromSweden

Yes, there is a clear pro-Sweden bias among the ESC juries and I'm not going to be defensive about it like some other Swedish fans and pretend it isn't happening
Mhm

BtTc1nC.png

IUL4k3a.png

Ezio

Veteran
2011 was back then, when Sweden was starting to rev up their engines via Melfest, but the executive power in Eurovision, was not yet there. So, 2011, as basically the only exception from the rule, is no exception at all, because it doesn't belong to the rule. Since then, the composition of juries has drastically changed in favor of record labels, which are all well connected to Sweden. I doubt many jurors, who have an active record label contract are 100% independent in their voting. Further to this,, Sweden took control over Eurovision by deciding a new voting format and put their finger on the running order, in favour of themselves every year and in with an eye towards bookies' favourites. A bookies' outsider is not supposed to win, because it is gonna get mudslided in recency bias.

Since 2017, there is a steady decline in Melfest though. I feel like Sweden has peaked already with their formula, and without a boost of fresh ideas and new managers, Sweden is bound to collapse and given their grip on Eurovision, it might as well go down.

Cancelling 2020 due to the pandemic was a first taste of it. The insurance money prevailed over any other option. It's a stunning warning sign how easily Eurovision can actually get cancelled.

Iker

Veteran
Voices would be such a bland entry. Can't understand how it's a favorite at all :sleep: Sounds like Lithuania 2019.

Except that I would still enjoy Lithuania on Spotify, this one is ... like, nope. And it's trying to be somewhat dramatic (which Lithuania '19 didn't) and it fails miserably at that.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
Since then, the composition of juries has drastically changed in favor of record labels, which are all well connected to Sweden. I doubt many jurors, who have an active record label contract are 100% independent in their voting.

I feel this is an interesting point to bring out. I'm considering there's a bias of influence towards Sweden since Swedish music industry has a credible number of exports such as singers, songwriters and producers that is internationally successful, hence the points brought by A-lister being valid. However, I also feel if a juror is affiliated to an international record contract, their judgement in Eurovision might affect their success outside of their country of origin. Furthermore, it might make Ezio's point sensible if some juries actually have a connection to Swedish music industry in any way.

TLDR: Juries don't want to be seen as a dick by the Swedish music industry just because they don't reward the Swedish entry.

alca

The Mamas ditched the video with the last year's outfits. I don't know if I like this or not. I mean the trick is revealed already and it can't work as an element of surprise anymore but on the other hand, we gotta hit those Swedes in the feels! :LOL:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
you mean in 2010 and 2011 when the playing field was completely different? Sweden did better in the jury vote in every year since then except in 2016, when they had that *despicable* song i can't BOTHERED to think of.

So ofc jurors are biased. Not necessarily to the flag, mind, but because Swedish entries tend to be overproduced, and therefore possess fewer inherent flaws. Only a few jurors rank Sweden first every year. But most of them rank them high-ish, in the top half of the ranking, which often results in Sweden raking in a massive amount of jury points.

Now as far as whether it's deserved or not. Sucks for the other coutnries that Sweden has a buttload of resources to sell their average songs better than most other countries. They can afford good staging and backings. Since juries take 'the whole picture' into account, it causes them to do well in the jury vote. Something simple like an Anna Boringdull gets sidelined because there's less to judge.

On the other hand, an audience of impulse voters is always prone to fall for it less quickly, which is why Sweden does worse with them. The overproduction of their entries makes them less approachable, even come off as disingenous, along with the growing perception that they do disproportionably well in the jury vote.

It's always going to be an awkward dichotomy, but the pro-Sweden bias isn't necessarily because of the flag. It's because of the way their entries are put together, which is achievable for any country.

Ezio

Veteran
I feel this is an interesting point to bring out. I'm considering there's a bias of influence towards Sweden since Swedish music industry has a credible number of exports such as singers, songwriters and producers that is internationally successful, hence the points brought by A-lister being valid. However, I also feel if a juror is affiliated to an international record contract, their judgement in Eurovision might affect their success outside of their country of origin. Furthermore, it might make Ezio's point sensible if some juries actually have a connection to Swedish music industry in any way.

TLDR: Juries don't want to be seen as a dick by the Swedish music industry just because they don't reward the Swedish entry.
It struck me in recent years, when the composition of national juries is published. It's mainly artists with contracts now, even former Eurovision or pre-selection acts, pop radio hosts and journalists. All within the realm of possible record label bias. I don't say they shouldn't be involved at all, but it is not a balanced picture. There need to be professors, musical theatre actors, older folks as well, for whom nothing is to gain from being a judge on the Eurovision panel.

I find it quite dull, when the country which runs Eurovision wins the jury vote almost 4 times with bland songs. I also find it hilarious that their televote went down in flames recently.

Last edited:

FilipFromSweden

you mean in 2010 and 2011 when the playing field was completely different? Sweden did better in the jury vote in every year since then except in 2016, when they had that *despicable* song i can't BOTHERED to think of.

So ofc jurors are biased. Not necessarily to the flag, mind, but because Swedish entries tend to be overproduced, and therefore possess fewer inherent flaws. Only a few jurors rank Sweden first every year. But most of them rank them high-ish, in the top half of the ranking, which often results in Sweden raking in a massive amount of jury points.

Now as far as whether it's deserved or not. Sucks for the other coutnries that Sweden has a buttload of resources to sell their average songs better than most other countries. They can afford good staging and backings. Since juries take 'the whole picture' into account, it causes them to do well in the jury vote. Something simple like an Anna Boringdull gets sidelined because there's less to judge.

On the other hand, an audience of impulse voters is always prone to fall for it less quickly, which is why Sweden does worse with them. The overproduction of their entries makes them less approachable, even come off as disingenous, along with the growing perception that they do disproportionably well in the jury vote.

It's always going to be an awkward dichotomy, but the pro-Sweden bias isn't necessarily because of the flag. It's because of the way their entries are put together, which is achievable for any country.

There are about 200 (new) jury members in Eurovision each year, I don't understand this idea that fans believe the EBU/SVT/Christer Björkman or someone else would ask the juries to favour Sweden. I also don't think any of these jury members praise the Swedish flag or something, time after time we see countries do well with the juries and the next year do badly with them.

Eurovision is huge in Sweden, we are very passionate about it, even the non-hardcore fans. We are also a country with a big music industry, so the result will almost always be that the Swedish entry is polished and tweaked to be as perfect as possible. Please keep your subjective ''I don't like this boring entry!'' out of this, this is not what that is about.

We basically have the jury system incorporated into our NF so naturally a jury favorite is going to win our NF. The way the jury system in ESC works is that a country could get a jury's :12: even if no one in the jury ranked it as #1 or even #2 and that explains why Sweden does so well with the juries. The average viewer/televoter is going to vote for 1-3 entries while a jury member ranks 25/26 entries. My theory is that many average viewers usually think Sweden is the 6th/7th/8th best and so no televote is awarded to them, while a jury with the same mindset is likely to make sure Sweden gets some points.

What I'm trying to say that our entries lately haven't really had any big punch, they have rather been appealing to a wider audience but without the ''bang'' that Euphoria had, and that wide yet not as strong appeal is why the juries like our songs.

All in all ''juries are rigged'' is bullshit on the level of Qanon

BorisBubbles

Veteran
. My theory is that many average viewers usually think Sweden is the 6th/7th/8th best and so no televote is awarded to them, while a jury with the same mindset is likely to make sure Sweden gets some points.
That's a nice, concise way to put it in the words. Well-written (y)

kamc

So switching focus for a minute. I was just thinking about how weird SVT's approach was when Sweden/Malmö would host 2013. It felt like the approach they had was to show everyone that hosting Eurovision didn't have to be expensive and through creative solutions you could get a lot by using little means.

And then 2016 came along and as Stockholm were to host, SVT took on the Russia/Azerbaijan approach and tried to make it as grand and as much of an experience as possible, a complete 180 compared to the philosophy of the 2013 competition (and we love 2016).

Did SVT learn that the 2013 competition turned out a bit mediocre? Did attitudes and values switch? Was there more money available and more invested/passionate people working on the 2016 contest?

And thank goodness for it!!
That week in Stockholm from 2016 is still one of the best weeks of my life. It was like living in a massive eurovision bubble and the fact they went all out and built a special building just for Euroclub was beyond amazing😍

A-lister

Veteran
The bookmakers have Tusse as their clear favourite for the NF, and Sweden is rated as number 6 internationally. That means that the bookmakers expect Tusse to get a pretty good result in Rotterdam if he is chosen.

Firstly, Sweden is always ranked high with the bookmakers because they often use past results as a measurement, with that said I think local bookmakers and international are different ones and the current ranking Sweden has in regards to Eurovision which involves a bunch of international bookmakers I think don't really put alot of emphasis on who is currently highest in the odds in Sweden. I can see Sweden slipping down a bit in the odds if Tusse is picked, I don't think it will slip down that much but I think here the bookies will be wrong come May.

rasmuslights

Veteran
nah Sweden deserves the jury points in most cases. 2018, 2016, 2017 all deserved high jury positions, sweden 2019 also deserved top 10, but not 2nd imo.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
The Mamas ditched the video with the last year's outfits. I don't know if I like this or not. I mean the trick is revealed already and it can't work as an element of surprise anymore but on the other hand, we gotta hit those Swedes in the feels! :LOL:
İ mean if i wasnt told about that trick, i would never get it becuase really who can remember how Mamas were dressed last year

blein

It willl be a nightmare if Saade or Dotter will not win it.Saade is best for eurovision since song is very contagious , staging is rdy for eurovision . Dotter has a good song,a very good staging but song is too moody for eurovision i cant see that many people will vibe on it and scream little tot dont be like us :D

blein

I notice something strange about sweden... all songs sound much better on melodifestivalen than actual studio versions .. Why so?
Dotter,Saade and Tess Studio versions sound so weak and flat..

Iker

Veteran
nah Sweden deserves the jury points in most cases. 2018, 2016, 2017 all deserved high jury positions, sweden 2019 also deserved top 10, but not 2nd imo.

What about 2015? They would not have won without the jury throwing a lot of points on Mans. I did not mind though Sweden beating Italy overall as I never really did dig that 'boys band opera' thing.

alca

İ mean if i wasnt told about that trick, i would never get it becuase really who can remember how Mamas were dressed last year
Well everyone who watched last year's Melodifestivalen. But ok, I can believe someone not remembering the outfits but they literally showed a clip of them winning, moments before they got on stage.

Top Bottom