7 3.7%

6 3.2%

28 15.0%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Sweden-scaled.jpg

MooseShoes

k the mamas and their non-song need to be stopped right now lol don't let them near the victory

The first thing I thought when I heard "Move" was: why have these three fantastic singers been given a song with a chorus that has no singing?

Nemo89

Of course my words were far more forceful to ever do justice to reality, but you get what I was going for. Both the Italian tradition and the Swedish tradition have to be respected, but it takes two different pairs of glasses to look at them, a luxury you don't have at Eurovision where these songs have to clash.

Myself, being brought up in the Dutch tradition, feel more at home with the Italian entries normally. Understanding this requires a rather in-depth knowledge of Dutch music as a whole, but I think it's best summarized as follows: there is Dutch music made for a global market (usually EDM) that feels 'Swedish', music made for the Dutch market (usually rock or folk) feels 'Italian'. Both are successful, but the schism between these styles is very obvious. The music that is memorable, that touches you, is always part of the latter group. To me, there is something inherently wrong with music that does not go for the heart so to speak. This discussion tends to flare up on these boards, but usually they're in the ballad vs bop form instead of the emotion vs fun or more precise b-endorphine/cortisol vs dopamine form.
Excellent analysis.

I think that if Eurovision had lived without thinking about what others will think of you, it would be wonderful. On the contrary, it is as if we want to woo a woman and we have too many problems; like "What do I tell him to win her heart?" or while we are with her we use phrases not ours "Doubt thou the stars are fire ... but never doubt my love" (quote my friend Willy Shake). In both cases, we are not ourselves, there is no depth but only a clear desire to conform to our subject of desire (I have not written an object or women could get nervous :lol:). It may or may not work. What is clear is that love is weak and destined to crumble under the weight of time.

I really liked your reflection of the Dutch market and the diversification between funny and epic songs. However, every culture has ballads and catchy songs (Italy has always decided, apart from Gabbani, to leave catchy songs at home xcry) but in both genres, quality and emotion are the masters. What I prefer is not only romantic, epic or deep music, I love catchy music but it must be well structured. Adrenaline needs to be stimulated. The Moldovan "Sunstroke Project" were exemplary with "Hey mamma" xdance2, but this year "Moldovita" was not at the same level. I liked Gabbani because he managed to insert a deep text in the show and in a good sound. Therefore, the best distinction to be made is between catchy music well made and catchy music not well done (often because it is a slave to the rhythms of the business and the party crowd). But you are completely right when you say that people need to have a little musical culture.

• Like It
Reactions: Uto

MalagaToledo

Banned
Did you notice that I Rarely comment on Swedish thread. This year there is no mz and that's all That matters. Their songs don't do anything for me. Give me a song, not a show. I would comment on their winner, but damn even mariette song bland. They will achieve top 10,possibly top 5. We all know why.

FilipFromSweden

They will achieve top 10,possibly top 5. We all know why.

The whole ''it's rigged for Sweden'' thing is soooo tired, especially since our only NQ is due to the juries

MalagaToledo

Banned
Tell that to il volo, polina gagarina, Estonian duo, Tamara todevska and so on...

FilipFromSweden

Tell that to il volo, polina gagarina, Estonian duo, Tamara todevska and so on...

Don't know what the Estonian duo has to do with it, or Tamara who was recognized as the jury winner and spared the humiliation at the end. Melodifestivalen uses a jury system much similar to the ESC one which is why we often do very well with the juries

As for Il Volo and Polina, they competed under the same circumstances as Måns and all three of them have been doing amazingly after Eurovision

Instead of blaming Sweden, maybe blame EBU and Jan Ola Sand from Norway? Sweden was snubbed from the victory in 2011 due to the juries as well

MalagaToledo

Banned
Kiddo, that doesn't work with me. You can create your own truth, but u still can't change the mind, opinions of the rest of Europe. BYE

Nemo89

The whole ''it's rigged for Sweden'' thing is soooo tired, especially since our only NQ is due to the juries
For me Sweden is a great nation that has helped the ESC to grow. You deserved to be among the best nations in the ESC. In addition, I admire the "new method" (even if, in some cases, it is cold and does not always guarantee quality). But, dear Filip, you cannot fail to admit that without the friendly votes you would have achieved something less. Watch also the game of the "Ranking Game", you will discover a small survey where the Scandinavians always insert each other their songs in "Top 10". I will give you an example, if the United Kingdom receives 12, 10, 0, 1, 2, 5, 1 (for a total of 31 votes) and Norway 8, 8, 6, 6, 5, 4, 3 (for a total of 40 votes) you can understand how easy it is for the Scandinavians to get more win or "Top 10". The jury vote is very heavy.

MalagaToledo expressed himself harshly but is not wrong. If the song is "Bulletproof" it is only a show and a refrain but the song is not seen. Ireland and Austria have done better for me.

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
It's certainly not rigged *against* Sweden, but I agree that it's tiresome to hear such arguments. It is not Sweden's fault that a Melfest winner simply has to have pretty good staging out of the box and at least solid production values. Therefore, it is not Sweden's fault that they are almost always going to send something juries will take seriously.

FilipFromSweden

But, dear Filip, you cannot fail to admit that without the friendly votes you would have achieved something less. Watch also the game of the "Ranking Game", you will discover a small survey where the Scandinavians always insert each other their songs in "Top 10". I will give you an example, if the United Kingdom receives 12, 10, 0, 1, 2, 5, 1 (for a total of 31 votes) and Norway 8, 8, 6, 6, 5, 4, 3 (for a total of 40 votes) you can understand how easy it is for the Scandinavians to get more win or "Top 10". The jury vote is very heavy.

Thank you for keeping a respectful discussion, I'm afraid we have to agree to disagree on this one. 2007 is a great example that the west and north isn't so dominating: the whole top 16 was from south, central or eastern Europe. We've been damned by both the juries (2010, 2011) and the public (2018, 2019), and I honestly believe that if there were some kind of favouring Sweden in the juries, someone would've revealed it by now instead of the speculations

I think it also helps that Sweden considers Eurovision as it's national sport. The 2018 World Cup got a lot of views, but it still did not beat the views for Melodifestivalen/Eurovision. We're passionate about it and I think that usually generates entries that either the jury or the public loves.

As for the Nordic bias, I'm sure it's quite common among general viewers, but personally I rarely have a Nordic neighbor as a favorite or even in a personal top 5. I even cheered in 2016 because no Nordic neighbors were in the finale! Let's not forget that other countries get friendly support as well. Russia in 2018 being 11th in the semi-final televote when it should've been dead last!!!

Nemo89

Thank you for keeping a respectful discussion, I'm afraid we have to agree to disagree on this one. 2007 is a great example that the west and north isn't so dominating: the whole top 16 was from south, central or eastern Europe. We've been damned by both the juries (2010, 2011) and the public (2018, 2019), and I honestly believe that if there were some kind of favouring Sweden in the juries, someone would've revealed it by now instead of the speculations

I think it also helps that Sweden considers Eurovision as it's national sport. The 2018 World Cup got a lot of views, but it still did not beat the views for Melodifestivalen/Eurovision. We're passionate about it and I think that usually generates entries that either the jury or the public loves.

As for the Nordic bias, I'm sure it's quite common among general viewers, but personally I rarely have a Nordic neighbor as a favorite or even in a personal top 5. I even cheered in 2016 because no Nordic neighbors were in the finale! Let's not forget that other countries get friendly support as well. Russia in 2018 being 11th in the semi-final televote when it should've been dead last!!!
I love respect and comparison. I like to have interesting discussions and through these I like to grow.

You told me about the 2010, 2011, 2018 and 2019 editions where you got "low votes": in 2010 you did not qualify for the final (it happens that a song fails), in 2011 you got the second place in the audience preferences and to balance the ninth place for the juries (you came third in the final classification), in 2018 you received the second place in the jury preferences and the twenty-third in the public vote (you entered "Top 10"; seventh position), finally in 2019 you received second place in the jury vote and ninth place in the audience preferences (you came in fifth place). Can you explain to me where Sweden has been hindered? Let's not forget that you have won the ESC three times since 1999! It may happen that you don't always win, it may be true that you are good but it is clear that you dominate the contest geopolitically.

Among you Scandinavian countries there is respect, friendship but also great rivalry (it is obvious that each nation wants to win a better position or victory). However, your mutual votes almost always allow you to reach the final, to easily aim for the "top 10" and sometimes to win the competition.

I don't think Sweden is the "super villain"; other blocks also exist: Baltic / Russian block and Slavic block (which splits in two when Turkey comes into play); to a lesser extent the alliance / friendship Greece / Cyprus and other Mediterranean realities.

But I greatly admire your passion that leads the ESC to consider it as a national sport. Your passion is commendable and maybe many nations took your love for the contest as a model.

I have exposed everything with respect and based on technical data.

Swedenvision

Because of Denmarks decision to not have any audience to their final, SVT and Live Nation have had a meeting and have confrimed as the situation is right now they will have audience for both reherseal and the final.

I think it is a good decision since netiher the goverment or Folkhälsomyndigheten have banned any larger events.

Yes we have several cases in Sweden but I think all of them have either traveled in those countries that have been affected or is connetced in some way to those who have traveled, all are also in quarantine.

randajad

Veteran
Just imagine the climax of the biggest music competition in Sweden with no one attending it live after 5 weeks with full arenas. :lol:
Of course that (they) would not (let that) happen.

Last edited:

Kitakaze

Heart says Dotterdam especially with a stronger performance but still can’t count out the Mamas and Paul Rey, even with that running order. Both have a good shot at nabbing the overall jury vote.

A-lister

Veteran
The possibility of Mamas winning is the only reason Sweden is still not top3 on the odds.

Could be, because that entry would be a borderline qualifier at best in ESC ending up on the right half of the final scoreboard if qualifying to the final...

I'm just afraid Swedes will vote irrational tomorrow...

Top Bottom