Contact us

Svante Stockselius resigns

Svante is stepping down. Your thoughts????

• Yay, it was about time

7 21.9%
  • Nay, I'm not very happy about this

20 62.5%
  • Whatever, doesn't matter to me

5 15.6%

• Total voters

AlekS

Veteran
I like Svante as a person (really do)... but he totally f***ed up Eurovision. So, I'm happy he's gone
I'm wondering how exactly he "f***ed up Eurovision" ;)

Milos-BC

I like Svante as a person (really do)... but he totally f***ed up Eurovision. So, I'm happy he's gone... but at the same time very scared for whoever will follow in his footsteps.

If he f***ed up Eurovision, then it can't be any worse....right?

aletem

I'm glad he is leaving. I never liked him. :mrgreen:

Schlagerman1

I think it will be a person from Eastern Europe, since many of the head cheifs have been from West Europe.

This Heidy Purga (head of delegation in Estonia right?) seems to be a hot fave maybe, but I don't know. :p

Muireanne

I think it will be a person from Eastern Europe, since many of the head cheifs have been from West Europe.

Exactly my fear.

And how did Svante f*** up the ESC? See the past 10 contests and the evolution of countries and tunes some like to call music.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
But how is that his fault? Should he tell people how to vote or what song to send? The quality of the songs can't be blamed on him. The broadcasters should be blamed for that.

The ESC is bigger and much more popular than it was 10 years ago so I am not quite sure how this could be considered a bad thing.

Muireanne

But how is that his fault? Should he tell people how to vote or what song to send? The quality of the songs can't be blamed on him. The broadcasters should be blamed for that.

Agree on this one. It surely isn't Svante's fault Ireland starts sending turkeys and that the average song of the past 10 years is nearly as soon forgotten by the time the credits of the show reach their end. But it is his fault we have a contest with over 42 countries today of which half are known for populist voting.

The ESC is bigger and much more popular than it was 10 years ago so I am not quite sure how this could be considered a bad thing.

It is certainly bigger (in numbers) and more popular (in numbers)... but the quality has sunk to its' lowest level.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
But that applies to every country. If we would disallow all those countries participating in the "populist" voting Malta would probably win by default being the only country left in the contest :)

Of course you have a right to your opinion but I just don't see what he was suppose to do.

AlekS

Veteran
Exactly my fear.

And how did Svante f*** up the ESC? See the past 10 contests and the evolution of countries and tunes some like to call music.
wow, so someone (no matter who) from my geographical area is your fear? :lol:
I think that 10 past contests were the best years of ESC evolution and they brought us diversity.
If someone is afraid of certain geographical area - this is a problem, yes, but it's not our problem :)

Muireanne

But that applies to every country. If we would disallow all those countries participating in the "populist" voting Malta would probably win by default being the only country left in the contest :)

Malta the only one? I don't see countries like Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium (and a handfull of others) voting mainly for their neighbours. What I do see is the diaspora from these countries... mainly as a result of the loss of interest of the natives in these countries... who on their turn wouldn't vote for a song just because it comes from right across the border (see the results of the contest between 1956-1999). Sure the Irish might vote for the UK and vice versa, same for the Dutch and Belgians... but each country has to deal to 10 countries... and there lies the difference.

What could Svante have done? Not much I guess... perhaps see to it a new voting system was found in which diaspora and neighbour-voting could be reduced to a minimum... but in stead he hardly changed anything. The one good desicion he ever made in the past 10 years was bringing back the juries (but that was the result of both the Netherlands, several Big-4 countries and Ireland threatening to withdraw from the contest... and the EBU can't have that happening).

Muireanne

wow, so someone (no matter who) from my geographical area is your fear? :lol: If someone is afraid of certain geographical area - this is a problem, yes, but it's not our problem :)

Not afraid of people from your area... afraid the ESC will be out of our hands entirely. Don't take everything so literally and learn to read between the lines.

I think that 10 past contests were the best years of ESC evolution and they brought us diversity.

That's your opinion, but I doubt many people in "my geographical area" would agree.

AlekS

Veteran
Big 4 always treats to withdraw because this is the only "argument" they have currently, to buy this contest is more simple than just send a good song that would appeal to all areas (Ukrainian televoters voted for Jade, what thing prohibited the UK to send such entry earlier? ;) we voted for Lena, we voted for Daniel Diges, what thing prohibited broadcasters to choose something like that earlier? certainly not diaspora voting).

As for diaspora voting... I think that diaspora should have the same rights as "native" citizens and they have a right to vote.
I don't see it as a problem.

Saying that the whole/ or majority of diaspora votes JUST for their countries and not for the entry is a lie xshrug

Muireanne

I'm not so much talking about Ukraine actually... of all Eastern nations they have the most logical voting... I'm talking about the Balkan and it's direct neighbours (Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia&Herz., Macedonia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Hungary, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Romania, ...). Also some ex-Soviets have the tendency to vote neighbourly (Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Finland, Belarus). But you're right... not Ukraine... they at least vote for 1 good song every year (and with vote I mean giving it at least 8 points... not the scraps 1-2-3-4-5 the others tend to give to someting that's good but not from the area).

AlekS

Veteran
Not afraid of people from your area... afraid the ESC will be out of our hands entirely. Don't take everything so literally and learn to read between the lines.
Your reply to this quote: I think it will be a person from Eastern Europe, since many of the head cheifs have been from West Europe.
was "Exactly my fear."
There was no "between the lines", no word about "ot of hands" so learn to stand for your own words ;)
You said that you are afraid that someone from Eastern Europe will take Svante's place.

That's your opinion, but I doubt many people in "my geographical area" would agree.
That's your opinon but I think that many people from "my geographical area" think the same about your entries. People have different taste xshrug

Muireanne

You said that you are afraid that someone from Eastern Europe will take Svante's place.

I did say that yes... but not because I'm afraid of people from Eastern Europe. I'm afraid an Eastern-European will take Svante's place and that that will cause us to lose even more of the contest than we already have. After all... we've been organizing it for over 50 years... Eastern-Europe joined in merely 15 years ago... so I don't think the ESC deserves an Eastern-European leader just yet.

That's your opinon but I think that many people from "my geographical area" think the same about your entries. People have different taste xshrug

And that's exactly our problem. You do have other taste (doesn't mean it's better than ours though). But your 'clan' has grown so large we don't even stand a chance anymore... and I'm sorry to say this... that's not fair towards us. Or do you really think a Balkan beat is really our general taste over here? We vote for it when we consider it good in its' own style. You don't even consider our style.

Muireanne

Off topic. This is about Svante's designation!!!

Agreed... but it's not my fault everyone starts to elaborate on my original comments.

AlekS

Veteran
I wasn't talking about Ukraine as well because indeed we vote for different entries and we used to vote for different entries before the juries. We voted for Norway, Malta, Portugal...
I know what you mean and I think that our Eastern neighbours get mainly neighbour votes and diaspora votes. But in the same time I can't blame anyone for that. It's a normal thing for countries with a common music market.
Western entries can win, Northern entries can win, Eastern entries can win. It's impossible to win having just neighbour and diaspora votes.

as for Svante's place. I want Eastern candidate. Heidi Purga (Estonia). I'm against Russian or Ukrainian sides because we have to learn how to deal with our own business first :lol: Russia is not interested, we are too young and unexperienced. So no "far" Eastern Europe for sure :D
I wouldn't mind any candidate (East, West, whatever) as long as they have respect for all broadcasters.

Top Bottom