Contact us

Svante Stockselius resigns

Svante is stepping down. Your thoughts????

• Yay, it was about time

7 21.9%
  • Nay, I'm not very happy about this

20 62.5%
  • Whatever, doesn't matter to me

5 15.6%

• Total voters

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Svante Sockselius, the executive Supervisor of ESC & JESC announced his resignation today which will become effective at the end of the calendar year which means the upcoming JESC whill be the last event under his supervision.

"When I took this challenge nearly eight years ago, the Eurovision Song Contest was at a crucial cross road. Since then it is has become one of the greatest TV-entertainment events in the world! After the successes of Moscow and Oslo, I decided that now would be a good moment to say farewell, and to give others the opportunity to take the event to the next level."

"We have managed to get a fair voting system and I've had the pleasure of working with a great team at the EBU, with the members of the Reference Group, with great teams at over a dozen host broadcasters and with many delegations from over 40 countries," the outgoing Executive Supervisor said, jokingly adding that "after being seen on television by a cumulative number of over one billion people, it is time to move on!"

How do you feel about Svante's resignation? Are you happy, sad, relieved, concerned?????
How do you think this will affect the contest (if at all?)

AlekS

Veteran
Well, it had to happen one day.
I know that certain racists are furious that he helped to bring ex-Soviet countries to ESC, that's why I'm happy :) I know him a little bit more cuz I used to talk to different journalists who used to meet him pretty often, I've seen him on different E-chats, the last one during one of his visits to Belarus. He's awesome friendly man, imo.
I hope that ESC will keep the same course like during the last few years.

I'm wondering who will be the next one and how he's gonna manage ESC.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I also felt that people gave him a really hard time which in many cases were unfair and unreasonable. The introduction of the Semi Final system was the best thing that ever happened to the contest and he played a major part in it. Over the years the voting had become a concern for fans and critics and every year he made changes to it trying to appeal those critics and make it as fair as possible. When he had a 100% televote people were incredibly upset about the diaspora and friendly voting and put a lot of the blame on Svante. Then the 50/50 jury & televote system was introduced and now people don't like that their are so many discrepancies between those to voting styles and once again it was Svante's fault.

Considering he "only" was the exective supervisor for 7 or 8 years he completely reworked the contest and I gave him a lot of credit for that. Did I always agree with him? Of course not, some of his statements I felt were attempts trying to dodge some bullets but overall he did a fine job and whoever will take over that position won't have an easy task ahead of them.

So in a nutshell, I think Svante did a good job and will be missed.

Mickey

All I know is that Eurovision is a vastly better show now than it was eight years ago. Svante must take a large chunk of the credit for that.

alca

Noooooo!!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry: I don't want him to go! Now we won't be able to tell how well Sweden did (from his expression) BEFORE the results!

Schlagerman1

Big rumours in Sweden, says that the next supervisor will be an another swede...and yes in that case Christer Björkman! :lol:

Well personally, I don't want an another swede now, but we'll see! xD

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
esctoday.com also reports on Christer Bjorkman as being a possible choice for the position. Based on his track record i'm quite against it. He failed to act on the bad results over the past 4 - 5 years @ MF and we need someone who can react quickly and I question his ability to do that.

Milos-BC

Personally, I think it is a huge loss for ESC even though I agree than nothing is eternal, and it had to happen one day, but I didn't think it will come this fast. I think Svante had a lot in store to show, but anyway, he became sort of a "trademark" of ESC even though he wasn't perfect of course. Best of luck to his heir, but I don't think Christer is the right man for the job with all due respect.

Milos-BC

I think it's just a coincidence and nothing more. I don't believe in conspiracy theories generally.

Schlagerman1

I agree with Milos, I can't see that the reason is that. I hope that now when he goes away, maybe Sweden can do better again xD

Muireanne

I like Svante as a person (really do)... but he totally f***ed up Eurovision. So, I'm happy he's gone... but at the same time very scared for whoever will follow in his footsteps.

Top Bottom