Contact us

Stage Design

Loindici

Veteran
There aren't any Dutch stage designers that I found yet, so I'll put an international promising one here.
The stage designer team I wanna see in 2020 is Julio Himede. He designed the stages of MTV European Music Awards. Here is his design for EMA 2018 in Bilbao, Spain, which imcorporates a 360 stage and four satellite stages:
181013_ema_v2_42_camera_a_front.png

181013_ema_v2_16.png

775251347AM00213_MTV_EMAs_2.JPG

What I find promising is that the team designed the EMA 2016 stage which is hosted in Ahoy Rotterdam:
EMAS+Set_Stage1_972.jpg

EMAS+Set_Stage1_758.jpg

680300933JL00198_MTV_EMA_s__preview.jpg

Mainshow

Veteran
I want something simple. The Ema 2016 stage looks nice.
No big catwalk, no b stage... The artists won't use them anyway.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Please, no cubes again. Denmark 2014 was one of the worst stages ever!

What!! I think it's one of the best this decade. I loved it. People could use the cubes, or not and they'd be completely clear for the LED behind it. It was great imo. For me, I just hope we don't end up with something cheap and meh looking like 2013, or with no LEDs at all like 2018 and 2010. Catwalks tbh I think are pointless extras tbh. They're hardly ever used. 2009 never had one and it wasn't missed.

Loindici

Veteran
To me the stage looked like construction work... I still like it though but if I focus on the cubes I really lose track :p

2014 had a really weird stage. I like the cubes though, gives a unique feel and use to that stage -- I actually feel that screen curtain is not needed instead.
Although I hope they didn't put some wasteful features like the water pool. Sure looks fancy but only Poland out of any are using them.

midnightsun

Veteran
For me, I just hope we don't end up with something cheap and meh looking like 2013, or with no LEDs at all like 2018 and 2010. Catwalks tbh I think are pointless extras tbh. They're hardly ever used. 2009 never had one and it wasn't missed.

While I agree with everything here -

I still consider the 2014 cubes kinda old-school. They remind me of the 80s LED-walls which were made of dozens of squares and, I don't know, still annoy me :mrgreen:

What the modern cubes is concerned... It feels like the inside of a tesseract (okay, I admit, I have never been in one :lol: but it must feel like that in them).

VirginiaVision

After Israel went wild with the triangles, I can't get my mind off the idea of circles.
Here's my list so far of circular things to incorporate: stroopwafels, spinning windmills, bicycle wheels, cheese wheels, Dutch ovens (from a bird's-eye view), (Duncan) donuts, buttons on an arcade, tulips arranged in a circle

"Eurovision" already has two circles in its name so it's perfect! I think I'm on to something, guys.
AVROTROS/NOS/NPO please hire me

randajad

Veteran
After Israel went wild with the triangles, I can't get my mind off the idea of circles.
Here's my list so far of circular things to incorporate: stroopwafels, spinning windmills, bicycle wheels, cheese wheels, Dutch ovens (from a bird's-eye view), (Duncan) donuts, buttons on an arcade, tulips arranged in a circle

"Eurovision" already has two circles in its name so it's perfect! I think I'm on to something, guys.
AVROTROS/NOS/NPO please hire me
:mrgreen:

Ezio

Veteran
This for me is the best staged Eurovision song this decade

What a class act.

Compared to this, "Arcade" appears so boring and conservative.

Loindici

Veteran

I want these kinds of ideas as an inspiration! It could be cool!

Loindici

Veteran
Anyways... this topic has been in discussion for a long, long time.

Would a 360 stage work?

Considering that in 2011, Wieder Designs made a semi-360 stage (it was in full circle but, oh well, we still have a giant-as-fig screen in the back):

ESC2.jpg

would there be any possibilities of the production teams either implementing something similar to this, or even go crazier and install full 360?

anto475

Would a 360 stage work?

Considering that in 2011, Wieder Designs made a semi-360 stage (it was in full circle but, oh well, we still have a giant-as-fig screen in the back):

ESC2.jpg

would there be any possibilities of the production teams either implementing something similar to this, or even go crazier and install full 360?

Where would you put the LEDs/background lights?

Ezio

Veteran
I was dreaming of a 360 stage since many years. Visual effects do not matter so much to me, but you can use the audience for projections. Worked at the Olympics ceremonies quite well. Or have canvasses ready at the ceiling. It's up to the delegations how to use the stage anyway.

It depends on the venue. Wouldn't work well in these small venues we had since 2013.

Loindici

Veteran
Where would you put the LEDs/background lights?

Interesting.

There can be several methods to put visual enhancers on a 360° stage, in my opinion:

1. Put an LED screen behind the stage
This worked out pretty well with the 2011 stage. For a smaller venue they could use a smaller screen.

2. Put LED screens above the stage
This is usually done for 360° stages. If you search '360 stage' you would find examples of this pretty often. Some examples like the Arcade Fire stage can be pretty intricate.

1000.jpg

3. Using audiences as projection screens
This has sort of been done in Eurovision Choir 2017

Green_Hippo_Choir_Games_Kristaps_Stikuts-1-3.JPG

4. Play with a BUNCH of lights
I mean, this has worked on 2018, it's quite worth it.

5. Play with holograms
Wieder Design initially planned to do holograms in the 'Jamala' stage before:

VirginiaVision

Would a 360 stage work?

ESC2.jpg

I support the 360 stage BECAUSE IT'S A CIRCLE xcheer

Loindici

Veteran
Any host city it is, NPO could probably use stage design from BigVis, a local design firm in Netherlands. They usually design stages for dance music festivals, which is perfect for Eurovision.

c7dcb5a4-a824-432c-ae2c-96b91679c348_rw_1200.jpg

9b8ec9ae-ad62-4b87-a4e6-990883b8c095_rw_1200.jpg

931e7877-1b77-4f92-b657-aa21912a1371_rw_1200.jpg

e3d944c4-91aa-4f60-9125-09f88da73464_rw_1200.jpg

ce71c4b6-5fc9-4f93-b664-4a000902ee0d_rw_1200.jpg

tuorem

A 360 stage would be interesting on paper, but I fear it might just bring more technical complications in terms of prop installation/teams coming and going... and thus be a challenge when it comes to fit the postcard timing. Also, unless the height of the stage is raised a lot, I guess no one wants to see visual pollution from freaks in the audience who don't care about the show because they merely want to be noticed on TV. And ultimately, such a feature would be of little to no interest as a TV show like Eurovision, half of the venue would remain underexploited and recording it without showing cameras and walking cameramen would be difficult imo.

Sorry Virginia :lol: but I'm hoping for anything but a plain round stage: it wouldn't dramatically change my life if we were to have one next year, but too many stages were shaped like that and looked the same lately. They don't change the graphics already, so they could at least come up with new stages, otherwise they might as well keep the same platform for ten years :D that would be economical.

randajad

Veteran
They don't change the graphics already, so they could at least come up with new stages, otherwise they might as well keep the same platform for ten years :D that would be economical.

DMGP is quaking. :lol:

anto475

I get the feeling, based on every previous Dutch stage, that we will see some significant moving parts to the stage next year. There has never been a Dutch stage without something that moved or changed physically to make every song feel different. Provided that they don't bring in Florian Wieder again, we should have a brilliant stage next year.

Top Bottom