Contact us

Stage Design

Loindici

Veteran
It probably isn't the most important agenda yet, but stage design plays an important role in enhancing the performer's ideas into live action.

What do you wish for 2020's stage design? Or who would you like to design the stage for the Netherlands? xyaaay

DaFlo

Banned
Need sth fresh & unique. Obviously LEDs should be there. Imagine trying to take such a big staging aspect away from the delegations .. could only be woke Eurovision fans. This year btw was the perfect example how it should be in the future (with the possibility to open the LED wall and not use them if you don't want to).

2019 stage was basically copy/paste of the 2018 stage, so a new stage designer would be appreciated.

Alaska49

this year was basically the way it should be - not entirely devoid of a screen so every country can have all the options, but not such a large screen that it eats the entire stage and makes entries all look similar and empty. we don't need 2017 to happen again. i did think this year's stage was a bit on the smaller size, but too small is better than too big.

Citelis

The most important is to make sure that LEDs will be there. The rest are minor things.

Preuss

Taking away the LED options is to me just unacceptable
yeah I know you gotta mix it up and change is good but 2018 is the year where I probably listen to 20 songs - many of them did bad and I can't stop thinking what could've been if LED screens were available :?

Etanna

Interesting... personally, I loved the LEDless performances from 2018 better overall than those from 2019. Could be also because I liked the songs better but I definitely didn't miss the LEDs. But they're not the crucial thing for me, I don't really care if they are there or not. And I'm pretty sure the Netherlands will have them anyway.

I just hope the stage won't be too big because then the artists get lost there and it looks too empty :/ They should take into account the fact that only 6 people are allowed on stage. Sometimes it feels like they are preparing the stage for the interval acts/wide shots of the arena rather than for the actual competing performances...

Preuss

No more Sacha Jean-Baptiste ruining entries when we're talking about staging...
at least she can stick to one entry every year
the fact that she happens to do entries every year that I really like and then fail miserably is...
so I'd perhaps take a non LED screen year for her to stick to one entry or not just do anyone at all

John1

I'm tired, tired of always losing Florian Wieder's staging concepts. He should give up on his sort of specific duty every damn year. Why does the EBU feel forced to hire him given the redundant blandness of every single of his projects?

I mean, he didn't create nor make up the design concept (especially the ugly way 2015's led curves were being hooked around the stage) back in 2016 and this remains, in my very own opinion, one of the best ESC editions I've seen so far. The same goes for 2009 and 2014 (if I remember properly, he didn't create the 2014's stage).

FilipFromSweden

LED's are not that essential to me. I barely thought about their absence in 2018

Alaska49

i understand that LEDs are now essential to level the field and allow everyone to keep up with ever increasing expectations of staging but i loooooved that lisbon didn't give this choice and made everyone get creative. sure, it exposed that some countries really just can't compete anymore which is why LEDs need to stay (PAHR SAN MARINO), and some other countries just put their own damn screen or an equivalent on their concepts (side-eyeing europe for buying italy's staging to this day), but some stages were so incredible.

this year was supposed to be the golden compromise between that and having LEDs but then KAN suuuuuuuucked so other than zero gravity being the best thing to be filmed, there wasn't so much to be done, hopefully next year there is more zero gravity and less [shot of empty stairs where victor crone was supposed to be].

Loindici

Veteran
I also think big catwalks were not necessary if there isn't any need to do so (ehm, Tel Aviv 2019). Sure it makes the stage look 'big' but the wide shots just proved it made the main stage looked so minuscule.

Ezio

Veteran
No more Sacha Jean-Baptiste ruining entries when we're talking about staging...
at least she can stick to one entry every year
the fact that she happens to do entries every year that I really like and then fail miserably is...
so I'd perhaps take a non LED screen year for her to stick to one entry or not just do anyone at all

Did she fail miserably this year?

I did not like her Tamta staging but Replay did surprisingly well for whatever reason.

Ezio

Veteran
A similar stage as 2016 in :se:, please... xpray

That stage looked like an XXL apple shop window full of electronic gadgets with blue and teal screensavers.

My favourite stage is Lisbon 2018. Tel Aviv was pretty amazing too, especially the roof elements. But it also look like a huge tablet.

Preuss

Did she fail miserably this year?

I did not like her Tamta staging but Replay did surprisingly well for whatever reason.

Although I consider 13th place in the end quite okay, it’s not the result that Cyprus, the delegation and Tamta was looking for. And as I’ve mentioned earlier, her jury score was quite okay but she got 12 points from Georgia and Greece, ten shady televote points from San Marino and a single point from the UK which means that at the end of the day she could’ve been second to last in televoting with a single point lol

And yes tell me the differences between «She Got Me» and «Replay» but in no universe one song deserves 200 points from the televote more than the other lol, but this is where the staging comes into picture because «Replay», although I quite like it, could’ve been a lot better. Especially because the song gives you fire and heat and therefore red should’ve featured in the performance but it did not because Sacha worked with Luca as well

Short conclusion: Tamta deserved better and a stage choreographer who was 100% into her performance and not spending time on another performance with basically the same song and then succeed and coming 4th
so this is perhaps the main reason why I’m not very fond of her because she’s playing russian roulette with her acts and the performers who invest a lot of time deserve better

John1

That stage looked like an XXL apple shop window full of electronic gadgets with blue and teal screensavers.

My favourite stage is Lisbon 2018. Tel Aviv was pretty amazing too, especially the roof elements. But it also look like a huge tablet.

I... Sorry, I can't manage to get your point here with this weird comparison between a stage and an electronics shop. :? :lol:

Loindici

Veteran
I... Sorry, I can't manage to get your point here with this weird comparison between a stage and an electronics shop. :? :lol:

Ezio probably meant it just looked like plethoras of gadget screens.

But hey, that stage was amazing!

Top Bottom