Contact us

(... so maybe this is the) General Discussion Thread

Loindici

Veteran
Well, I can't find the 2024 general discussion thread yet. I'm providing a thread to house it before mods will make one.

You may discuss anything related to the 2024 contest in general.

EDIT: Welp, I guess it has manifested into one.xshrug Let's go guys!

Last edited:

empo21

Veteran
Post running draw reveal discussion has quickly become by least favourite part of the esc season. All the overthinking, analyzing, success charts ugh

Serbia and Greece won't NQ because they're drawn at #2 and #3. This reminds me of 2022 when people freaked out that :lt: and :rs: were drawn #3 in the semis when they were safe Qs from the get go >.> Although some countries (Malta, Serbia, Lithuania) always getting such early draws when in 1st half is starting to become very sus and I can't stop getting sus when Luxembourg gets a good spot simply for returning to the contest.

But quick thoughts: Iceland is completely toast imo. :az: :au: back to back is a weird choice. Switzerland could struggle due to the early draw.

Loindici

Veteran
Better than the off key trumpets 😭 The british obsession with trumpets needs to be studied
At least it's a good material for fart jokes

Loindici

Veteran
My takes from the running order reveal:
- :cy: and :mt: opening repeats 2019 to a degree and I kinda hate that
- :pl: and :hr: back to back would haunt a vocal enthusiast.
- :lu: in the last spot is reasonable but they need a LOT to prove since :pt: was before them
- :gr: and :ch: back to back will be too much for some people's stomach.
- putting :sm: after :es: is incredible.
- :il: and :no: back to back is also interesting since both feature screaming women.
- :nl: closing the show is smart as well.

Last edited:

hpp0

Semi 1:

:cy: Was more or less expected by many it seems. The chances to Q went up, but they aren't a sure lock imo.

:rs: I understand that it might be too early for this but the flow is good and it would be either this or Ukraine, I think. They wouldn't have Ukraine 2nd and maybe they could have Poland, but maybe the performance doesn't call for it.

:lt: Expected it to be somewhat early. They might lose some points, but I don't think they will struggle to Q.

:ie: Again expected placement. I don't think it hurts it too much to come after Lithuania.

:ua: Not too much to say, easy Q and probably top 3.

:pl: Being between Ukraine and Croatia might hurt it, but I like the flow between them personally. Probably a borderline Q.

:hr: Glad they gave them the prime spot. I don't know how it will be during the live shows but it stands out a lot during the recap. Probably will win the semi.

:is: Dead on arrival. Might finish last.

:sl: :fi: :md: is a weird combo. It seems that it helps Finland the most, but if Slovenia puts on a spectacular performance they might overshadow them. Moldova is still chanceless imo.

:az: A decent place I think, though I fear that it might get lost in the shuffle.

:au: Probably will have a good performance. It's not a sure lock, but it will probably qualify.

:pt: That's a very good spot for it imo. There is enough contrast between the other two songs and it's towards the end so there is no fear about it being forgotten like Azerbaijan. Probably a borderline Q?

:lu: Even if it wasn't for Luxembourg, I think it's a nice song to close the show with. It would be either this or Finland, I guess. Anyway, I think they will do what they can for them to qualify, so probably another borderline Q? Like around 7th place.

Regarding the AQ, it might be okay to have them perform between the entries this year that there aren't too many songs in the semis, but in a year with 40+ competing countries they can't do that. I don't really like the idea in general, I think it disturbs the flow of the show. They can just perform later.

hpp0

Semi 2:

:mt: I was fairly certain Austria would open, so this took me by surprise a bit. They might have a good performance in store, but unless it's something extraordinary, they won't Q in a tele only semi with this song.

:al: I think, it's okay. Again it was either this or Denmark imo. Albania might have a less interesting performance, so they just decided to bury them all together idk. If it wasn't for the next two entries, it wouldn't be a very bad placement.

:gr: :ch: I'm not too bothered (or at all) that we are early. But I think it's a rather bold move to put those two next to each other. I can't imagine our performance being simple, so maybe Switzerland will go down a minimalistic route? Normally both should make it, but there is something slightly off about this.

:cz: Between the other two and France, I think this will get squashed. Most likely a NQ.

:at: It's place is fine, but I feel that it will struggle a little.

:dk: Meh, I don't think it really stands a chance going before Armenia especially.

:am: They got a really good spot, will definitely stand out with a good performance. Might do really well actually.

:lv: I think it's like Iceland from the first semi. It's too slow and quiet to stand out.

:sm: :ge: It seems that I'm getting a bit lost towards the middle of the second halves. Probably both will NQ, but no idea honestly.

Not much to say for the rest. The songs flow nicely and all feel like Qs. Out of them, if Netherlands pulls it off live, it's definitely winning. Israel will do well, most definitely top 5 in the semi, though I still can't see such massive support for them to win over a decent Netherlands. Armenia feels like the only other contender, a dark horse of sorts.

Judas

FSC Mod
Staff member
- :pl: and :hr: back to back would haunt a vocal enthusiast.
- :gr: and :ch: back to back will be too much for some people's stomach.
- :il: and :no: back to back is also interesting since both feature screaming women.
How soon have we forgotten that the random order was the norm and people enjoyed the show just as much :/

JChan

I'm not a huge fan of this running order. I do not like that they inexplicably placed Lithuania 3rd only to be followed just 2 songs later by the UK-- a song that isn't even competing in this semi!

Ezio

Veteran
I am pretty sure people would vote for the wrong countries in the semis thanks for Big 5 performances because they get confused with the voting numbers and running orders

empo21

Veteran
I am pretty sure people would vote for the wrong countries in the semis thanks for Big 5 performances because they get confused with the voting numbers and running orders

Why? The Big5+Se aren't associated with numbers and they won't be in the recap. Televote on semis starts after the last song performs.

I'm pretty sure all the AQ's will be introduced by the hosts.

Etanna

I'm a bit confused as to the pre-parties this year. There's a pre-party happening today or tomorrow in Madrid, right? So we'll get the first taste of some of the internally selected songs' live performances, correct?

Linear version of simulation of grand final : ESC 24
1 Serbia
2 Austria
3 France
4 Netherlands
5 Portugal

Last edited:
Top Bottom