Contact us

(... so maybe this is the) General Discussion Thread

Loindici

Veteran
Well, I can't find the 2024 general discussion thread yet. I'm providing a thread to house it before mods will make one.

You may discuss anything related to the 2024 contest in general.

EDIT: Welp, I guess it has manifested into one.xshrug Let's go guys!

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
So there's no official news on a running draw order? Cos I had a little Facebook memory today and it's a year to the day that the ESC 2023 running order was revealed...

Likely next week, cause I think prop and staging preparations might still be in finalization

han-g

So, after several months have passed, what do you guys think about the stage design?

Personally, it's okay. I like that it's open and versatile: this could give the acts a lot of room to explore, and the cubes have at least three lighting choices and heights to play with. And maybe, this is also the first time we have an actual stage in the middle of the audience.

The downside, however, is the way this is very Swedish-coded. When you give so much choices to the acts, delegations could overstage or understage it. I'm expecting a lot of acts to get aided with the staging even when their song is lacking, too.
I actually think it could be very limiting for all countries Switzerland included.

han-g

Hell no! That 2008-09 system sucked. I'd rather have a 50-50 system back than a few people collectively agreeing that only one song is worth saving

They don't decide one song is worth saving. The juries vote as a backup the way they always vote in the 50-50 system. The top 9 in the televote then qualify with the 10th song being the highest ranked song with the jury that didn't already qualify with the televote.

In 2021 Sweden and San Marino would be the jury saves, they placed 10th with the televote anyway. Denmark and Croatia would have qualified over Belgium and Albania

2022, Switzeland and Belgium would have been the jury saves with Albania and Cyprus qualifying over Iceland and Azerbaijan. Belgium placed
10th with the televote anyway.

I've never understood people who's favourite method is televote only preferring 50-50 to the jury save.

EscGeek

Veteran
They don't decide one song is worth saving. The juries vote as a backup the way they always vote in the 50-50 system. The top 9 in the televote then qualify with the 10th song being the highest ranked song with the jury that didn't already qualify with the televote.

In 2021 Sweden and San Marino would be the jury saves, they placed 10th with the televote anyway. Denmark and Croatia would have qualified over Belgium and Albania

2022, Switzeland and Belgium would have been the jury saves with Albania and Cyprus qualifying over Iceland and Azerbaijan. Belgium placed
10th with the televote anyway.

I've never understood people who's favourite method is televote only preferring 50-50 to the jury save.

But what if two or more jury faves all flop the televote? All but one would fail to qualify. In a 50-50 system they would at least have a fair chance, and in a 100% televoting system their losses wouldn't even feel wrong.

han-g

But what if two or more jury faves all flop the televote? All but one would fail to qualify. In a 50-50 system they would at least have a fair chance, and in a 100% televoting system their losses wouldn't even feel wrong.
At most the difference between juries and televote is 3 songs usually its only 1 or 2. And as i pointed out 3 of the most recent 4 would be jury saves were the 10th place with the televote anyway. Its quite clear Estonia would have been the jury save in semi 2 last year, as for semi 1 it would have been between Netherlands and Latvia. It also would have been between those two in a 50-50 (with the very small possibility Croatia gets knocked out to allow both). There's not that much difference between all 3 methods.

Mainshow

Veteran
Nah. Last year showed us that a 100% televoting semi is totally fine.

"jury pleasers" still can qualify (:ch: and :ee:) but we didn't witness any dated turds qualifying and getting :0: or :2: pts in the televoting in the GF.

EscGeek

Veteran
At most the difference between juries and televote is 3 songs usually its only 1 or 2. And as i pointed out 3 of the most recent 4 would be jury saves were the 10th place with the televote anyway. Its quite clear Estonia would have been the jury save in semi 2 last year, as for semi 1 it would have been between Netherlands and Latvia. It also would have been between those two in a 50-50 (with the very small possibility Croatia gets knocked out to allow both). There's not that much difference between all 3 methods.
Very true. But i don't see the 2008-09 system to be very transparent and i don't want it back

Loindici

Veteran
I actually think it could be very limiting for all countries Switzerland included.
Reading this and realizing that mapping robotic camera rig positions might be more difficult with the stage shape too

Simulated final scoreboard for 2024

HarryUK

Veteran
Off topic but I don't use social media so I don't know where else to post this but I'm so glad to see @Matt back and active again, really glad that his health has improved, I have missed being called a fool opening up a Eurovision video/stream
Ditto!!! Matt's videos are what first brought me here. So glad he's back and giving us content again xhug

MooseShoes

Off topic but I don't use social media so I don't know where else to post this but I'm so glad to see @Matt back and active again, really glad that his health has improved, I have missed being called a fool opening up a Eurovision video/stream
Ditto!!! Matt's videos are what first brought me here. So glad he's back and giving us content again xhug
I third this! I'm so happy to see that Matt is back and doing well. I'll also add that both Roy and Gabe did a sterling job standing in for him!

Realest

GJiIy1QXQAADwwN

Loindici

Veteran
Yay, finally, the running order!

Top Bottom