Contact us

(... so maybe this is the) General Discussion Thread

Loindici

Veteran
Well, I can't find the 2024 general discussion thread yet. I'm providing a thread to house it before mods will make one.

You may discuss anything related to the 2024 contest in general.

EDIT: Welp, I guess it has manifested into one.xshrug Let's go guys!

Last edited:

Ted Talks

I'm not enjoying many songs so far. None have genuinely grabbed me like in previous years, by this time anyway.
I'll give them another chance, maybe I need to see more live performances...
I have to agree. I feel very underwhelmed by this year’s offerings tbh. I don’t feel like there’s enough light and shade - it’s all very much on one level.

Maybe last year I was just spoiled by Eurovision. It was on home soil for me and I felt like it was a great year for the music - definitely one of the strongest and most varied in recent years imo.

Last year was always going to be hard to top this time round, but it does feel like a big step down for me which is a shame.

Bobjan FR

Oh, and yes, what are your theories about this other big change to come ? It might be something if they don't announce it now but later....

A suggestion i read on social medias : the change would be that it's not the host winner who hosts the show the next year. With a big chance of Israel or Ukraine winning, this kind of decision would make sense (But it's not really something about "Malmö 2024" like they say in their post, so i doubt it's this.)

Another idea i had, maybe it's about the rehearsals, or things concerning the fan medias ?

SpiritofKeiino

I have to agree. I feel very underwhelmed by this year’s offerings tbh. I don’t feel like there’s enough light and shade - it’s all very much on one level.

Maybe last year I was just spoiled by Eurovision. It was on home soil for me and I felt like it was a great year for the music - definitely one of the strongest and most varied in recent years imo.

Last year was always going to be hard to top this time round, but it does feel like a big step down for me which is a shame.
I loved last year too, it was close to home and made it even nicer that I was able to attend the contest.

I haven't lost hope yet, I do think when I see the performances on stage a few more of the songs might click with me.

For now many of them feel skippable for me on Spotify and even the big songs are not doing it for me even though a few of them are 'good' I can't say I love them

SpiritofKeiino

Oh, and yes, what are your theories about this other big change to come ? It might be something if they don't announce it now but later....
Could it be a new guest country? I don't expect so though. I think this would have been announced by now.

I really hope the theory mentioned above about winner not hosting next year, is not true.

For now I'm guessing maybe some reform to points system...what exactly, I don't know..maybe the televote awarded by each country will be spread across more countries?

b4ld3r

This is genuinely my favourite year since I started to follow the contest properly back in 2015 (obviously watched it all of my life, but that was the first one I followed from the pre-season).

Normally I struggle to find many songs I genuinely like (not just find "good" on a relative scale for ESC, but actually would listen to other times of the year) and my top ten is filled with fillers. But this year I have no trouble at all creating a top ten. And even the hyped songs I don't really care for (Switzerland, Croatia, Ukraine..) I still think are okay.

Lance Esgard

A suggestion i read on social medias : the change would be that it's not the host winner who hosts the show the next year. With a big chance of Israel or Ukraine winning, this kind of decision would make sense (But it's not really something about "Malmö 2024" like they say in their post, so i doubt it's this.)

Another idea i had, maybe it's about the rehearsals, or things concerning the fan medias ?
Would they consider anything to do with the fan media to be a big change though? Such changes in the past don't seem to have been treated as big announcements.

I hope it isn't the announcement of another sponsor, which as we have seen recently with that cruise ship thing is considered by them to be a big announcement even though it isn't by people in general.

Maybe the balance of jury vs televote in the final? Some change had been discussed by the Reference Group after what went down last year. Ideally, for me, it would be following JESC in further limiting pre-recorded vocals, at least for future contests.

Realest

Maybe reverse Recaps, to benefit :se:?

mup

Malmö is going to fight its rat infestation ahead of Eurovision with some help from trained dogs and ferrets! (link)

Laepo1

With only one entry left to be revealed: Is there any song that didn't make it through the National Finals or Selections that would make your #1?

empo21

Veteran
I'm still obsessed with :rs: Filip Balos's Duga je noc. Such a shame it didn't even reach the NF final. Could've been my #1 or #2 easily

Not #1, but :fi: Paskana would've been in my top 5 for sure.

Loindici

Veteran
With only one entry left to be revealed: Is there any song that didn't make it through the National Finals or Selections that would make your #1?
Controversial, probably No Dog on a Leash by Inga from Eesti Laul. Just a bop.

EscGeek

Veteran
For me, definitely Ollie with "My Friend" but i'm still very happy with my top3 which i feel is locked already xcheer

Biste

So any clue when they are going to drop that other news they have in store for us?

empo21

Veteran
Now that all the entries are out, I hope the stagings come through, because more than half the songs are just meh.

Loindici

Veteran
Now that all the entries are out, I hope the stagings come through, because more than half the songs are just meh.
I don't think they are meh because they are bad, i feel it reflects the more popular songs in each country... which is meh, tbh

AliceEsc

Mahmood with Tuta gold would be my no1, but :it: is still my winner alongside with :hr: , so nothing changed.
I love this year, it's very strong and unpredictable.

Another idea about the announcement, maybe livestream in the press center will be allowed again? Wishful thinking.

Top Bottom