Contact us

(... so maybe this is the) General Discussion Thread

Loindici

Veteran
Well, I can't find the 2024 general discussion thread yet. I'm providing a thread to house it before mods will make one.

You may discuss anything related to the 2024 contest in general.

EDIT: Welp, I guess it has manifested into one.xshrug Let's go guys!

Last edited:

ZoboCamel

I think it's a common fan expression to say "the contest is getting more boring/generic/predictable thank last year" or expecting the 2011 situation to happen again.

Unfortunately, already half of the entries in, and I think this is indeed the beigest year we've ever had since 2011. Much, much more than 2023. I don't even know who could be the big contenders.
I'm no stranger to complaining about the quality of Eurovision years myself, but honestly, I'm very happy with what we've got so far this year. Sure, there's definitely some beige & some of my favourites from national selections have missed out, but on balance this is a solid 20 songs in my eyes.

In fact, I made up a little spreadsheet the other day to figure out my rating for each Eurovision year by averaging out the ratings I gave to every song in that year (because I am a Very Cool and Normal Person like that :lol:), and from what's been selected so far, 2024 is actually my #1 year since I started watching back in 2007:

N6CEvE3.png

Now, I do expect that 2024 average to drop when we have all 37 (or perhaps 36, given the Israel rumors) entries for the year, since I've had pretty good NF luck so far and I don't have high expectations for the remaining countries apart from Austria and Croatia. But so far, at least, I'm happy with what we're getting, and I'd say it's a far sight better than 2011 (which I agree was weak - as above, I gave the average song there a 5.33/12)!

It's also interesting to see that, despite the odd strong year and weak year here and there, I've found the average ESC year's quality to be pretty consistent since 2012 (or since 2010, if you ignore the weak anomaly that is 2011). Not sure whether the upward trend for me in the last few years is going to stay, or whether it'll drop back down to that 6.5-ish average, but... yeah, no complaints from me at the moment.

At the end of the day, though, I guess personal tastes are the bulk of it! I know a lot of people were saying 2020 would've been the best year ever, for example, whereas from the averages I made up the other day it would've been the weakest since about 2013 for me.

Last edited:

FilipFromSweden

There are still a few tickets left for the jury final show on Ticketmaster.se !!!!

Loindici

Veteran
Since we have more than half of the entries I decided to make a little table of the artists and songs, and the vibes I'm getting out of them.
Behold, but please correct me if there are any wrongs.

CountryPerformerSongPerformer TypeLanguageGenreGeneral Vibe
:al: Besa Kokedhima"Heart in Hand"Female soloEnglishPop balladUplifting
:be: Mustii"Before the Party's Over"Male soloEnglishAlt-PopNocturnal
:cz: Aiko"Pedestal"Female soloEnglishPop-rockRebellious
:dk: Saba"Sand"Female soloEnglishPopAnthemic
:ee: 5MIINUST & Puuluup"(nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi"GroupEstonianFolk-RockFestive
:fi: Windows95Man & Henri Piispanen"No Rules"DuoEnglishEurodanceUplifting
:fr: Slimane"Mon Amour"Male soloFrenchAdult contemporary balladSad and Longing
:de: Isaak"Always on The Run"Male soloEnglishSoul popDark
:ie: Bambie Thug"Doomsday Blue"SoloEnglishElectro-metalHorror
:it: Angelina Mango"La Noia"Female soloItalianCumbia popFestive
:lv: Dons"Hollow"Male soloEnglishSoft rock?Dark
:lt: Silvester Belt"Luktelk"Male soloLithuanianHardbassCool
:lu: Tali Golergant"Fighter"Female soloFrench, EnglishLatin popTropical
:mt: Sarah Bonnici"Loop"Female soloEnglishDance popSexy
:md: Natalia Barbu"In the Middle"Female soloEnglishOperatic popSpiritual
:no: Gate"Ulveham"GroupNorwegianFolk-rockSpiritual
:pl: Luna"The Tower"Female soloEnglishSynthpopAnthemic
:sm: Megara"11:11"GroupSpanishPop-rockChaotic
:sl: Raiven"Veronika"Female soloSlovenianOperatic balladElegant
:es: Nebulossa"Zorra"DuoSpanishDisco-popCheeky
:ua: Alyona Alyona & Jerry Heil"Teresa & Maria"DuoUkrainianFolk-popDark

esc87fan

I believe I've figured out how things will go following the end of NF season

Week of March 11: HoD meetings in Malmo (Sweden will draw their running order position for the final). March 11 is also the absolute deadline for Israel
Either week of March 18 or March 25: Semifinal running orders posted
April 1-20: Finalization of rehearsal schedule, assembly of stage, tech rehearsals with the stand-ins, pre-parties, preview shows, delegations begin to arrive in Malmo
April 21-May 4: Rehearsals (on May 4, the Big 5 will draw their allocations for the final following their second rehearsals)
May 5: Opening Ceremony at Malmo Live
May 6: Semifinal 1 dress rehearsals 1 (full run-through) & 2 (Germany, Spain and United Kingdom preview performances taped)
May 7: Semifinal 1 dress rehearsal 3 (family show) and live show
May 8: Semifinal 2 dress rehearsals 1 (full run-through) & 2 (France, Italy and Sweden preview performances taped)
May 9: Semifinal 2 dress rehearsal 3 (family show) and live show
Between May 9 and May 10: Grand Final running order posted
May 10: Grand Final dress rehearsals 1 (full run through) & 2 (jury show)
May 11: Grand Final dress rehearsal 3 (family show) and live show
Early May 12: Winner's press conference

Loindici

Veteran
Looking at the selected participants this is possibly the year for women I see

Loindici

Veteran
Love how open this year is :love:

It comes with its own excitement isn't it? I'm gonna be in the Winner Prediction thread to discuss this, it'll be fun!

ekzuu

I just bought ticket for the grand final afternoon preview, I already have tickets for semi 1 and 2 jury shows so now it's complete...

However, I would like to know what Swedish people think about the safety of Malmö during ESC. I frequently read Swedish news, mainly svt.se and there is almos every day some serious crime going on in Sweden, sometimes Malmö too... And so far it doesn't look like police has it under control? I hope in Malmö all will be safe and protected. I just opened svt.se to see what's going on today and there's an article how young people wear protective vests, I hope I don't have to buy one :( I planned on buying only the Estonian shirt...

Scania

I just bought ticket for the grand final afternoon preview, I already have tickets for semi 1 and 2 jury shows so now it's complete...

However, I would like to know what Swedish people think about the safety of Malmö during ESC. I frequently read Swedish news, mainly svt.se and there is almos every day some serious crime going on in Sweden, sometimes Malmö too... And so far it doesn't look like police has it under control? I hope in Malmö all will be safe and protected. I just opened svt.se to see what's going on today and there's an article how young people wear protective vests, I hope I don't have to buy one :( I planned on buying only the Estonian shirt...

I have lived in Malmö, except for a few short breaks, for the last 30 years and I think Malmö is safer now than ever before.

However, this is also because Malmö was the crime capital of Sweden up until 2018-2019 or so, when the police made a hugely successful operation with disturbing the gangs that dealt drugs on the streets in many different ways. These gangs were also wreaking havoc in Malmö with lots of shootings and other noticeable crimes.

After this special operation in Malmö, these types of crimes dropped drastically but unfortunately spread to nearby cities such as Helsingborg, Hässleholm and Kristianstad. Now it has moved even further north and it seems like the Stockholm/Uppsala area is definitely the center of all of those things you read about online.

If you're not involved in heavy crime, you will be completely safe. Of course you should take the regular safety measurements as in any sizeable city. If a stranger (that's not an obvious ESC fan) starts talking with you, be careful, because that's not normal behaviour in Scandinavia ;)

The media also makes it seem like Sweden has become a third world country when it comes to crime and gangs. This is of course not true and a huge exaggeration. It plays more on the reputation of Sweden being a "perfect" society back in the 1970s which never was true in the first place.

I understand that you are worried and the situation is definitely bad in some parts of Sweden right now. But I think you will be completely alright in Malmö. It's not the most charming place on earth, but May is probably one of the best times to visit. We definitely have some beautiful spots and a great food scene that you definitely should take your time to explore! :D

Last edited:

ekzuu

I have lived in Malmö, except for a few short breaks, for the last 30 years and I think Malmö is safer now than ever before.

However, this is also because Malmö was the crime capital of Sweden up until 2018-2019 or so, when the police made a hugely successful operation with disturbing the gangs that dealt drugs on the streets in many different ways. These gangs were also wreaking havoc in Malmö with lots of shootings and other noticeable crimes.

After this special operation in Malmö, these types of crimes dropped drastically but unfortunately spread to nearby cities such as Helsingborg, Hässleholm and Kristianstad. Now it has moved even further north and it seems like the Stockholm/Uppsala area is definitely the center of all of those things you read about online.

If you're not involved in heavy crime, you will be completely safe. Of course you should take the regular safety measurements as in any sizeable city. If a stranger (that's not an obvious ESC fan) starts talking with you, be careful, because that's not normal behaviour in Scandinavia ;)

The media also makes it seem like Sweden has become a third world country when it comes to crime and gangs. This is of course not true and a huge exaggeration. It plays more on the reputation of Sweden being a "perfect" society back in the 1970s which never was true in the first place.

I understand that you are worried and the situation is definitely bad in some parts of Sweden right now. But I think you will be completely alright in Malmö. It's not the most charming place on earth, but May is probably one of the best times to visit. We definitely have some beautiful spots and a great food scene that you definitely should take your time to explore! :D
Thank you for the answer xheart It sounds promising, can't wait to be there!!!

jatojo

Has there ever been a year with so many joke or pastiche entries apparently going to the Grand Final?

I count six such entries (pastiche songs and joke or semi-joke entries), all having a good chance of qualifying, according to the bookmakers:

Croatia, Netherlands, Austria, Ireland, Finland, Estonia. (Some might even include Switzerland.)

martin

Has there ever been a year with so many joke or pastiche entries apparently going to the Grand Final?

I count six such entries (pastiche songs and joke or semi-joke entries), all having a good chance of qualifying, according to the bookmakers:

Croatia, Netherlands, Austria, Ireland, Finland, Estonia. (Some might even include Switzerland.)
Well i think not everyone going to make it. Last year most people inculding me was sure Serbia Q. The result it was only 10 and only 3 points before Latvia. Croatia take most of them votes. In a hard first semi i would be surprice if all of Croatia, Ireland and Finland will made it. Also Ukraine could take some votes from them.

In semi 2 Estonia could get lost if Austria and Netherlands get good result. Also Norway could take some votes from them

A joke entry is not 100% sure to Qualifly.

esc87fan

Rocket man

The voting system will see no changes (100% televote in the semis, 50% jury/50% televote in the final), and of course the ROW vote is back. The EBU confirmed this to Norwegian media

Fantastic news. I was concerned about the juries having less influence, I'm okay with them not voting in the semi-finals anymore but the final should stay 50/50.

boyardor

I'd like to have juries back in the semifinals. I feel like the song quality has dropped off a lot.

Realest

I'd like to have juries back in the semifinals. I feel like the song quality has dropped off a lot.

The only difference last Year would be that :rs: would have nqed and probably :lv: would have qualified.

han-g

The only difference last Year would be that :rs: would have nqed and probably :lv: would have qualified.

If the juries really liked the Netherlands they could have also taken a spot, but I doubt that would happen

Top Bottom