Contact us

Slovakia SLOVAKIA 2024 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

nofuxCZ

I am still not too optimistic about Slovakia returning.

Few days ago, their representative said:
"Eurovision is a singing competition of public service broadcasters. In the past, RTVS was the official broadcaster of the event and the organiser of the national competition round. RTVS takes a careful approach to the structure of its television and radio channels and has recently decided not to include this international competition in its broadcasts, based on an assessment of a number of input factors, in particular the financial resources involved and the viewership. The participation of Slovak artists is also associated with high financial costs for which RTVS does not have the resources," emphasised Filip Puchovsky from the PR department of RTVS.

RTVS has been in deep financial crisis for many years. However, there is a tiny glimmer of hope. Slovak government approved a change in financing of the public broadcaster. They plan to abolish TV/Radio fees and instead, the budget will be at least 0.15% of Slovakia's GDP. Parliament still needs to pass it, but it seems likely it will go through.

If this gets implemented, the budget of RTVS for 2024 would increase to about 160 million EUR from this year's 114 million.

The Slovak government has approved a law on the future financing of Radio and Television of Slovakia (RTVS). From 1 July, television licence fees will end and the national broadcaster will receive a 0.15% of GDP contribution instead.

In 2024, this should amount to about EUR 160 million.

The Slovak national broadcaster still lives on fees from households and companies, to which it already receives a compensatory contribution from the state budget on the basis of a contract with the state.

"To put into perspective the difference that our bill makes - while this year RTVS was expecting revenues from licence fees of around €83 million, plus the contract with the state amounted to €31 million, for a total of €114 million, it should now receive up to €160 million. The amount of investment in RTVS will thus increase by 46 million," said Culture Minister Natália Milanová.

The existing contract with the state will expire.

"I see the approved proposal for a contribution of 0.15% of GDP as a compromise solution to the whole problem of financing RTVS, which will ensure the stability and functioning of the public service media to the extent that is currently the case for all the programme services operated," said Ľuboš Machaj, Director General of RTVS.

"It will not be enough to meet the strategic goals we have planned, such as the reconstruction of buildings or the settlement of the technological debt that RTVS has been facing for a long time," he added.

The law has yet to be passed by parliament. The National Council is expected to take up the issue at its May meeting.

The culture minister also announced that a draft constitutional law would be submitted to parliament to protect the independent financing of RTVS even more vigorously and to discourage politicians from interfering in its activities and broadcasting.

The amendment on the financing of RTVS goes to the second reading. The law will also bring other changes

In 2024, RTVS should have a revenue of 0.15 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP), which should amount to EUR 155-160 million. This follows from the amendment to the RTVS Act by the Ministry of Culture.

On Tuesday (9 May), deputies of the National Council of the Slovak Republic moved it to the second reading. The amendment is supposed to bring a systemic solution to the financing of RTVS.

The Ministry hopes that the amendment will reduce the influence of politics and the government on the budget of the broadcaster and ensure sufficiently stable and predictable funding, given that the amount of revenue will be guaranteed by law and will increase in line with the increase in the value of GDP.

Loindici

Veteran
I don't want to poop the party, but maybe they're planning to use it fo improve the TV instead? But i need some context.
Does participation in eurovision Cost around 1mil euros?

Andromache

A comeback of Slovakia would be really cool! Maybe not next year but hopefully in this decade.

Chalphon

I am still not too optimistic about Slovakia returning.

Few days ago, their representative said:

RTVS has been in deep financial crisis for many years. However, there is a tiny glimmer of hope. Slovak government approved a change in financing of the public broadcaster. They plan to abolish TV/Radio fees and instead, the budget will be at least 0.15% of Slovakia's GDP. Parliament still needs to pass it, but it seems likely it will go through.

If this gets implemented, the budget of RTVS for 2024 would increase to about 160 million EUR from this year's 114 million.

So is the main reason for not participating right now economical or are there other aspects as well?

Andromache

It sounds to me that they're at least open to come back one day. That's a good thing! It may not be 2024, 25 or even 26 but who knows, maybe we're going to see their comeback in the 2020s.

A-lister

Veteran
Does anyone seriously miss them?

Ehm yes, considering Horehronie still remains my all time favorite Eurovision entry...

And they had a couple of pretty good entries back in the 90's and their 2009 comeback was also pretty good... but yeah their last two attempts were crap but I guess they already had given up by then.

I do recall their National selection that was surprisingly good.

2009 had this gem for instance which unfortunately was eliminated already in one of the semis:

I truly believe in "the more - the merrier" and I think every recognized, independent European country (minus the obvious ones involved in committing a genocidal war on their neighbor) should take part. Sure, there are countries that I also think have yet to send something worthy, but I still think the attitude "if a country didn't send something I like they shouldn't be in" gives a bad taste. I think every country has potential. It's obviously tougher for smaller music markets but not impossible.

nofuxCZ

Slovak music scene definitely has enough interesting music to show to Europe. Unlike Czechia, ethno/folk music scene is strong there and there are interesting bands/singers in other genres as well. I liked their 2009/2010 NF, the live televoting results shown on the screen during the whole show was certainly an interesting and fun concept. I'd love to have them back (not only because we would finally have some friend in the contest :mrgreen:)

Iker

Veteran
What's the point of this thread? We know they're not coming back.

Iker

Veteran
Add Modlitba, one of the best entries of the 1998 ESC, imo... Reality is, they were underrated: never actually send a terribile song. Some were average, some pretty good...

I couldn't stand Let' Tmou. I remember it was extremely shouty and forgettable.

A-lister

Veteran
I couldn't stand Let' Tmou. I remember it was extremely shouty and forgettable.

Have to disagree, although the song is quite difficult and heavy so I understand why it didn't have mass appeal (although let's be real, Albania is sort of playing in the same category but with diaspora they somehow make it).

Iker

Veteran
Have to disagree, although the song is quite difficult and heavy so I understand why it didn't have mass appeal (although let's be real, Albania is sort of playing in the same category but with diaspora they somehow make it).

I love a lot of "difficult" music but for me Let' Tmou was just ungainly, annoying and bad. The beauty of the language didn't save it (Slovak sounds a lot like Polish except prettier). My favourite Albanian entry was Suus btw. Glorious.

Chalphon

I love a lot of "difficult" music but for me Let' Tmou was just ungainly, annoying and bad. The beauty of the language didn't save it (Slovak sounds a lot like Polish except prettier). My favourite Albanian entry was Suus btw. Glorious.

I feel like the general ambience of that song was appealing and that it had something but lost it. The song felt a bit unfinished or lacking structure melody-wise and the vocals were at time pitchy and a little shouty.

Top Bottom