Russia RUSSIA 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Mainshow

Veteran

crashworld

Veteran
It is pretty interesting how EBU crafted their statement on Russia's participation. It is not the same as what they did for Belarus, where they suspended Belarusian broadcaster's membership for 4 years and provided the justifications for the suspension.

But in Russia's case, the statement is brief and general. The main takeaway of the disallowing Russia to partake is because "the inclusion of a Russian entry in this year’s Contest would bring the competition into disrepute". So EBU is more concerned about the reputation of the contest?

And also, EBU only disallowed Russia to take part for this year's competition. So meaning to say, technically, Russia could still possibly return to the contest next year. So it seems like EBU (as of now) still segregates the Russian broadcaster from the country's government considering EBU did not suspend the Russian broadcaster's membership.

Jonkonfui

Guys is anyone else feeling uninterested about the national finals and reveals that are coming up?
And I was in big NF fever this year, until a few days ago..
Now all of it feels insignificant
I was uninterested about NF before the war... Man you really have to be bored to watch a bunch of weird people from Lithuania or smthng singing weird stuff in Lithuanian... I hope every eurovision fan in the world can have a playstation or a netfix connection...

Sammy

Veteran
And also, EBU only disallowed Russia to take part for this year's competition. So meaning to say, technically, Russia could still possibly return to the contest next year. So it seems like EBU (as of now) still segregates the Russian broadcaster from the country's government considering EBU did not suspend the Russian broadcaster's membership.
that will also depend on how long Russias membership in the Council of Europe remains suspended.
Also I think the EBU will issue a follow-up statement in the days to come. That one looks as if it was done quite hastily.

ArmpitOfEurope

It is pretty interesting how EBU crafted their statement on Russia's participation. It is not the same as what they did for Belarus, where they suspended Belarusian broadcaster's membership for 4 years and provided the justifications for the suspension.

But in Russia's case, the statement is brief and general. The main takeaway of the disallowing Russia to partake is because "the inclusion of a Russian entry in this year’s Contest would bring the competition into disrepute". So EBU is more concerned about the reputation of the contest?

Well they somehow had to link their decision with the well being of the contest.
They couldnt base it on moral reasons only, because this would cause them troubles in the future ( like countries demanding bans - see Armenia - Azerbaijan, Israel, Greece-Turkey etc ).

crashworld

Veteran
Also I think the EBU will issue a follow-up statement in the days to come. That one looks as if it was done quite hastily.

At the bold part, it seems a little shoddy on their end to release such generic statement in my opinion. It's definitely an interesting space to watch.

Well they somehow had to link their decision with the well being of the contest.
They couldnt base it on moral reasons only, because this would cause them troubles in the future ( like countries demanding bans - see Armenia - Azerbaijan, Israel etc ).

Possibly, which is also something I am kinda afraid of. It's like opening a can of worms. Since this has set a precedence, I won't be surprised in the future, if another country is involved in some international conflict, we may see this sort of boycott coming up to pressure EBU. And then every now and then, the competition will eventually be overcast with political undertones.

midnightsun

Veteran
I was uninterested about NF before the war... Man you really have to be bored to watch a bunch of weird people from Lithuania or smthng singing weird stuff in Lithuanian... I hope every eurovision fan in the world can have a playstation or a netfix connection...
I don’t know why you‘re even here other than hooking up with male members…
If we only talked about the Grand Final, this forum would be pretty useless.
We‘re Eurovision die hards here, some more, some less. Not bored purely involved in the biggest music event in the world. I‘m watching since 1986 and I‘ve been a huge fan ever since. February to May my heart beats mostly for Eurovision.

jatojo

Next up is Germany - the Germans are blocking SWIFT sanctions against Russia. Would be cool if we could get Germany banned as well.

German media (Tagesschau) still reports that our goverment is still against it?
German media (Tagesschau) still reports that our goverment is still against it?

No, reporters following CoM negotiations tonight leaked on Twitter Germany is in, and just now Ukrainian MFA tweeted Italy agreed on SWIFT as well. I guess Zelenskiy's public toasting of Draghi was effective in the end. 🤣

MopManMoss

Veteran
Oh the bias. Nobody is talking about Manizha or Little Big. But sure, you don’t like his music, he is guilty.
But you can take a deep breath now, since Russia won’t take part.

By the way, I totally appreciate the disqualification of Russia in ESC. This was necessary.
He is the only double representative why are you being weird about me? I like his songs im just saying he cant complain on social media when he represented Russia twice after they invaded crimea he is complicit

GermanBango

Many people are urging our Chancellor to agree to the SWIFT-Ban on social media. I have very little hope that it`s gonna happen as we are so damn dependent of Russian resources (Thanks Angie and Schrödumb) but yea I also wrote a little Text for him. Here the translation for you guys:

"Dear Mr. Chancellor, I did not vote for the parties within your coalition so you can watch while the world is burning. You have to agree to banning the Russian Federation from SWIFT asap. It`s the least we can do for our friends in Ukraine."

jatojo

GermanBango

Lindner is an idiot though and he’s representing the „wealthy people party“ of Germany.
He only said that they would have to think about it first … which basically means that they are just trying to sit this out.

IMO, if they agree tonight that ECB covers debts in the portfolio of the banks at risk, then they would all agree on SWIFT. That is the most likely way out.

Top Bottom