Contact us

Password has expired

AdelAdel

I just got forced to change my password by receiving info that my previous one has expired. What is all this? :?

Sim

had just the same thing :)

on the side, i think it's good to prevent any abuse
otherwise, if you forget your current password (because i'm always logged in automatically) i don't know what to do

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Everyone is required to change their password every 90 days going forward. This is for your account's safety :D

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
I'm sure that some people will disagree with this, but I think that this could really help with the safety of your accounts :D

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Ugh, I really, really hate this. I have the worst memory ever and can usually only remember two or three passwords that I keep using on different sites. When I'm forced to change, I will eventually run out of the few ones I keep using, thus having to come up with something completely new, which I will then forget every single time. iTunes is the worst with this, since they won't let you recycle passwords. Every time I want to log on there, I can't remember my password and will then have to reset it to get access and change it to a new password, which I will have forgotten the next time I want to log on. What will happen now is that I'm going to have to type my password for ESCforums down and save it in a document on my computer - and THAT doesn't feel safe to me.

This should really be optional. It's my account after all, shouldn't I be able to decide for myself if I want to take the risk? I've been a member of a gazillion forums since 1998, I've never ever had my account hacked. Ever.

:mad:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I used to work for Norton Anti Virus and I can tell you that you wouldn't even know if your account was hacked or not. They can just figure out your password, scan your data and then leave. The odds for that are not that great but it's worth it. I am still doing System support and security for a living and I can't tell you how many of our customers hate changing passwords but companies don't do this for fun or to annoy people, it's for their safety.
If a persons account is hacked that could hurt our reputation and we could be perceived as an insecure website.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
I understand that. But why every 90 days?! That's around four passwords a year we will have to come up with. Surely once a year should be enough. If people are going to hack your account, they will do it anyway, regardless whether we changed the password every week or every ten years, so why not reduce the nuisance?

LakZaNokte

is it possible to swap 2 passwords all the time or will i have to make up a new one every time? :mrgreen:

Fluke

I just changed it, then changed back :p

doctormalisimo

People who are criticising this dont know anything about internet security. The password you had yesterday could have been monitored, and so by changing it today, your account details havent been hacked. And if your forum password is the same as your facebook/email password, someone could have access to your whole online life. Extreme and unlikely scenario, yes, but it is possible.

Also, please dont make your password 'password' or any variation. You almost deserve to have your account hacked if you do that. And try not to make your password Eurovision related, it's too obvious on this forum.

AdelAdel

Each time I want to log-in to this forum, I automatically input my old password, and of course I can't log-in :lol:
It might take a while before one gets used to the new password, and when we finally do - bam - another password change xrofl2

Mozz

My advice to people who have trouble memorizing their passwords: why not simply write your passwords somewhere (pen and paper) and hide it?

Top Bottom