Contact us

NSC 101: Midterm Mathematics Examination (SEMInar Results) [16 September, 2000 CET]

imthero

MidtermIntro_zps856a5e56.png

studentlist_zps68b5c189.png

Leaf

Yay, I am on spare when the show starts so I will get to see the beginning :D

imthero

Maths? Is it you again after more than a year?

Your attitude to this contest and everything about it stinks - you know that, right? I don't know why you don't just leave, you clearly don't derive any enjoyment from it...

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
Your attitude to this contest and everything about it stinks - you know that, right? I don't know why you don't just leave, you clearly don't derive any enjoyment from it...

Bit harsh, i don't see what's wrong with that comment. Although i appreciate the pun

imthero

Bit harsh, i don't see what's wrong with that comment. Although i appreciate the pun

I don't see a pun - if there is one and that's all it was then I missed it and I'll apologise. But to my mind it is him criticizing my presentation of these results before he has even seen it plus a criticism of my previous hosting attempt. In addition, his initial approach to the task of creating trivia for the banners was to claim that everybody cheats by voting for their friends' 'trash' entries, which is not at all in the spirit of this edition or this contest. Then we have the numerous previous examples of his moaning that I don't even need to list. I am not naturally good at this hosting lark, I don't have a lot of spare time for it, and I have put (what is for me) a lot of work into making things a little different. To therefore have somebody come along and make comments like that is just disgusting, imo.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
I don't see a pun - if there is one and that's all it was then I missed it and I'll apologise. But to my mind it is him criticizing my presentation of these results before he has even seen it plus a criticism of my previous hosting attempt. In addition, his initial approach to the task of creating trivia for the banners was to claim that everybody cheats by voting for their friends' 'trash' entries, which is not at all in the spirit of this edition or this contest. Then we have the numerous previous examples of his moaning that I don't even need to list. I am not naturally good at this hosting lark, I don't have a lot of spare time for it, and I have put (what is for me) a lot of work into making things a little different. To therefore have somebody come along and make comments like that is just disgusting, imo.

You used the word 'derive'. I take it that was unintentional then :p The reasons i don't think the comment warranted such a response are:

1. It's a general assumption that maths is boog. I don't personally enjoy complaining about it (maybe because it's my degree :lol: ), but i know a lot of people who do, and who find such comments amusing.

2. Sean made a similar, and arguably more offensive, comment (although i do not take it in such a way).

3. Luke did maths at uni as part of his course, and i had assumed that this is what he was referring to, in which case it is nothing to do with your previous hosting. If i am wrong, then your reaction is more understandable.

4. I defend a person's right to be a cynical twat; Woody Allen even made a career out of it. In fact, your comment itself is very cynical, so i think you're being rather hypocritical :p I don't think anyone is calling you a bad host.

imthero

Voice of reason :D I'm so stressed atm, tbh...and not just with this (but mostly with this!), so I'm somewhat on edge. I'll be glad when I can get the final up and hand over to somebody else so I can go on a much needed holiday!

EDIT: Oh geez, now that I read it again it looks like I got it totally wrong. Please accept my apologies, Luke.

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
Fair enough, I'm no stranger to the troubles of hosting. When I hosted, I had buckets of free time, and yet I still felt the stress. Sorry for attacking you, I just felt I needed to defend Luke :)

imthero

We will begin the examination in three minutes.

A suggestion: you might not want to congratulate qualifiers unless you're absolutely certain you've got it right. Wouldn't want to have people think they've qualified when they actually haven't! You'll get about three minutes for each problem, then I'll post the next one with the answer to the previous one, the corresponding, and the list of qualifiers so far in spoilers.

takeru

Just a heads-up apology; Yaponesia was unable to vote properly on time, this time because the internet here decided it hates loading any sort of video ;_;
A last-minute rescue effort was attempted, massive thanks to Yoni and the wonders of cross-continental skype (yup, that's cross-, not trans-, same continent ftw), but it wasn't quite on time, and besides the votes were probably of lower reliability than a recapvote :lol: (though I think they were fairly accurate).

Anyhow, Yaponesia's votes are decided but unofficial, but we will of course vote properly in the final! (when I'm back with trusty British internet). Til then, good luck everyone!! And my potential 12 had better not be 11th again, waaah... xcheer

imthero

2_zps18b615f3.png

berlyda

NSC Mod
Staff member
Just a heads-up apology; Yaponesia was unable to vote properly on time, this time because the internet here decided it hates loading any sort of video ;_;
A last-minute rescue effort was attempted, massive thanks to Yoni and the wonders of cross-continental skype (yup, that's cross-, not trans-, same continent ftw), but it wasn't quite on time, and besides the votes were probably of lower reliability than a recapvote :lol: (though I think they were fairly accurate).

Anyhow, Yaponesia's votes are decided but unofficial, but we will of course vote properly in the final! (when I'm back with trusty British internet). Til then, good luck everyone!! And my potential 12 had better not be 11th again, waaah... xcheer

Actually, trans- would be more appropriate, since you're on opposite sides of the same continent. I think you're thinking of intra- vs inter- :p

imthero

3_zps46c806d5.png

imthero

4_zps75f16456.png

Top Bottom