6 3.6%

6 3.6%

6 3.6%

53 31.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Please keep discussion in this thread specific to Eden Golan and her song, Israel's (potential) participation in Eurovision 2024 and discussions or remarks from other countries and organisations about Israel's participation.

Any further discussion of a political or humanitarian nature not relating to specifically Israel in Eurovision 2024 needs to go into the politics sub-forum. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Avi-Ramos

I'm interested if there's people that legitimately want an Israel win here.
If you try hard to separate music from politics, we all know deep within this song has the potential. If this song with this level of a singer was from a country like for example... norway, i wonder where would it rank right now .

crashworld

Veteran
I cannot imagine the TOTAL meltdown if Israel is to win the contest.
I am sure there will be more unnecessary hatred thrown towards Eden.
I am inclined to believe Israel won't win as their participation is already too divisive in this edition.
I think qualifying to GF in an achievement and anything else is just a bonus from there on.

Ezio

Veteran
I woke up with this song in my head.

gigi_copp3

I cannot imagine the TOTAL meltdown if Israel is to win the contest.
I am sure there will be more unnecessary hatred thrown towards Eden.
I am inclined to believe Israel won't win as their participation is already too divisive in this edition.
I think qualifying to GF in an achievement and anything else is just a bonus from there on.
If Israel wins, Eurovision will be harmed a lot.

Lots of countries will retire (first of all, :is:), even though I feel Israel might not host; people will meltdown, I can see lots of people quitting Eurovision, and not only the Pro-Palestine supporters, but also all the people who criticize politic wins will because it would be two in three years (and I feel the same if :ua: wins again). This song is good, but not the winner to my eyes, and any attempt of making this win will be harmful to the contest.

Ezio

Veteran
If Israel wins, Eurovision will be harmed a lot.

Lots of countries will retire (first of all, :is:), even though I feel Israel might not host; people will meltdown, I can see lots of people quitting Eurovision, and not only the Pro-Palestine supporters, but also all the people who criticize politic wins will because it would be two in three years (and I feel the same if :ua: wins again). This song is good, but not the winner to my eyes, and any attempt of making this win will be harmful to the contest.

Let the people melt down. I am gonna scream from the rooftops Hallelujah.

han-g

If you try hard to separate music from politics, we all know deep within this song has the potential. If this song with this level of a singer was from a country like for example... norway, i wonder where would it rank right now .
Eden has the potential, the song? Not so much. I'd rank it where I currently rank it 21st

Last edited:

Realest

I bims

Veteran
I have a real honest question: Why do you feel so strongly for Israel that you want them to win no matter how much it might hurt the contest in the long run? Like I politically support Ukraine 100% but I wasn't this die-hard rooting for them to win the contets in 2022 as well.

I really don't get it. Is it just because you are annoyed by the protesters and are now extra vocal in support to piss them off? Like what's the reason?

Loindici

Veteran
To preface, Israel Breaks Rules is an account with a clear goal. However, I'm not going talk about them.

I'm talking about the rough Hebrew to English translation of this article from Ynet's official website about the selection process. Yes, I've checked by activating my Google translate over the web and I get the same results.

And from that translation, the Israel participation intention is seemingly clear, but this is outside of contextual translation which might give a different meaning towards the article.

Sorry for interrupting, but I'd like to bring this back into attention. This is from Ynet and it is actually in Hebrew, but the translation could show some of the thought processes of the Israeli participants.

1. Avi Ohion, songwriter
"When we sat down to write, we knew we were going to write about the situation. My son was in Gaza and hadn't spoken to me for a month, and Keren - a good friend of hers lives in Bari and her whole house burned down. We knew we weren't going to write a pop song that didn't say anything. We tried to do it in a way As subtle as we can, with a subtext... We talked more about our pain as a people than about politics. It's impossible to write about anything else these days, this is what we're going through right now"

2. Eden Golan, singer
When Golan was asked how she would react when such claims were made in Sweden as well, the singer replied: "It's not true, Israel does not commit genocide and I don't wish for any country to go through what we go through. They can't understand what we go through in life, it's not easy."

3. Yoav Tzafir, director?
"In my eyes, there was no doubt that we should be there, and by the way - all the songs that came to the committee dealt with the situation. It was the feeling of the Israelis that they should send a song with meaning. So fine, we received a rejection but we did not fold and went in the direction that we would not stand behind it."

I see some people react positively to the participation of Israel, and I'm glad that you could. I'm just currently torn on how to interpret this -- should I take this as "singing about a heart-wrenching situation happening in the country" or should I not ignore its political subtext? This article sort of haunts me until today.

KazNew

An Israeli win would harm the contest irreperably. Irrespective of whether it is actually hosted in Israel or not, ESC 2025 would have the lowest number of participating countries in the modern era.

FilipFromSweden

I think this is the best song of the year, but I don't think it will win since I'm sure about 50 % of the juries will be against it and rank it last

Ezio

Veteran
I have a real honest question: Why do you feel so strongly for Israel that you want them to win no matter how much it might hurt the contest in the long run? Like I politically support Ukraine 100% but I wasn't this die-hard rooting for them to win the contets in 2022 as well.

I really don't get it. Is it just because you are annoyed by the protesters and are now extra vocal in support to piss them off? Like what's the reason?
Why does the contest get hurt by a win of a great song? The song contest didn't get hurt when Marie N won in 2002 or by Mans Zelmerlöw in 2015.

I would have been pissed if Israel had won in 2022 with I.M. But last year and this year, top notch!

Last edited:

Destroyer

I am a sucker for this kind of a song. I just love it. So for me this is a 12. I absolutely am discounting politics from this as I would discount politics for any other country participating in a song contest. I am here for the music not for the politics.

Ezio

Veteran
An Israeli win would harm the contest irreperably. Irrespective of whether it is actually hosted in Israel or not, ESC 2025 would have the lowest number of participating countries in the modern era.

Nonsense. If 2025 had the lowest number of participants, so what? ESC used to have 8 participants in 1956 and has the lowest number right this year, as usual in Malmö. Less participants, higher chances to win. And 2026 back to old form.

Haters are gonna hate on Israel because the unspeakable has now become acceptable - on the left. Whatever.

I can't write more here because your post would earn me an infringements, so yours should already earn you one.

Top Bottom