13 10.0%

10 7.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Karhu

Where do you read it?
On the one hand there are people who dont support him cause his song is shit, on the other hand there are people (like me) who don't mind his song at all but think that Iceland should get represented by an Icelandic person or a person with a connection to the country.
As you'll recall, Eurovision is a song contest, and the song was co-written by two Icelanders. This isn't one of the many cases of songs being bought from Swedes by other countries and handed off to one of their locals, which makes much less sense, in my opinion.

Also, Bashar Murad spent time in Iceland, studied there, and made friends and connections to the community. I mean, it's not like he necessarily needed to do all of that since RÚV accepted him and the song into their selection anyway and that's what matters, and as I said, he has Icelandic songwriters and sang in Icelandic which, as far as I know, is all they ask for. As for the other person complaining that Iceland has never done this before, it's certainly not the first time a non-native Icelander takes part in Söngvakeppnin as they had a Czech (dual citizen) singer a few years ago, at least two Faroese acts in the 2010s, an American in 2008 and 2009 (Seth Sharp), and probably others too, but I'd have to research further.

Are you equally upset about a Spanish act representing San Marino? A Brazilian in the Portuguese NF? A Dutch singer in the German NF? A French act in the Lithuanian NF? An Estonian act in the Finnish NF? Norwegian and Ukrainian artists in Melodifestivalen? I mean, if you go back far enough you could probably find at least one example for every country :lol: We've had Chileans in Benidormfest, Mexicans in Selecția Națională, Welsh and Albanian singers representing Cyprus, an Italian representing Latvia two years in a row, an Israeli representing France, an Australian representing the UK in 1996 (and a singer born and raised in the US winning the contest for them a year later), Luxembourg winning the contest on numerous occasions with singers with no connection to Luxembourg... (and no, they're not a microstate, they have a bigger population than Iceland)... that's just off the top of my head.

So I guess what I'm wondering is if you are really bothered about the prospect about a non-Icelander representing Iceland just as much as all those other examples I just mentioned, or if you're just upset about this specific scenario because of the overarching context and political implications. If it's the latter, then maybe it's best to be honest about that.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
This for me is the worst final (well, at least tied with Denmark) of the year. All these beige dance pop tracks and then Bashar being equally bland with his offering that goes nowhere (I like the cowboys though). None of these songs are abhorrently bad but they provide next to nothing. At a push I'd say Anita is the best on offer.

I chose not to comment on any of this stuff until now but I just have to say how stupendously cunning it was to invite Bashar to the selection. All these people and artists in Iceland protesting the country's participation have no other option but to very politely STFU if (more likely when) Bashar wins next week. They can't deny the Palestinian man's journey to Eurovision. It's honestly a genius move. Although of course there's always the chance he'll win and then decline going which I'd at least respect as the first showcase this year of an artist with opinions on Israel's participation that's not actually just virtue signalling.

crashworld

Veteran
I have no problem with Bashar's inclusion in the NF or even if he eventually becomes the Icelandic representative. My only expectation and hope is that he will remain apolitical and truly use this opportunity to promote his music and representing Iceland authentically.

And if he ever uses this to ESC platform to politicize about the Gaza war, then I would expect the ESC community to call that out like what they did with Israel's supposed political entry.

Lastly, while we never know what is the Icelandic broadcaster's reason or intention of his inclusion, I can only hope they are not deliberately using Bashar to send a "anti-Israel" message. Because that would be LOW to utilize a Palestinian to further their own motive.

empo21

Veteran
After catching up with the semi performances, I can say Wild West is the best option. The staging is ready and all it needs is better camera work. Sigga is my 2nd fave and even that is borderline at best (and since she got the wildcard probably no chance at winning the NF)

njdevils94

Veteran
I have no problem with Bashar's inclusion in the NF or even if he eventually becomes the Icelandic representative. My only expectation and hope is that he will remain apolitical and truly use this opportunity to promote his music and representing Iceland authentically.

And if he ever uses this to ESC platform to politicize about the Gaza war, then I would expect the ESC community to call that out like what they did with Israel's supposed political entry.

Lastly, while we never know what is the Icelandic broadcaster's reason or intention of his inclusion, I can only hope they are not deliberately using Bashar to send a "anti-Israel" message. Because that would be LOW to utilize a Palestinian to further their own motive.

Bashar is a talented artist and the staging is good, so he would be a good representative for Iceland. Hope his participation doesn't become a political statement

I take it you haven't seen Bashar's interview from the first semifinal on Saturday? That shipped has already sailed sadly. Look at the whole staging of Vestrið villt. Wasn't exactly subtle what the point of the song now and the message it was pushing now was it? Those that agree with him will cheer him on and look the other way saying its definitely not political or justify it and those that don't will not be as happy.

The EBU are never consistent in anything when applying their own rules. If it were up to me Israel and Iceland's (most likely) entries would both be allowed to compete and express their feelings on what is currently going on. I think Bashar has a right to express his opinion and likewise Israel.

For the people complaining that the criticism is coming only because he is Palestinian. No, its coming because of the intentional timing and the fact that this entry will be politicized the whole spring.

You'd better off be admitting your real moral compass is simply israel = bad /palestine = good with no in between. That's all I have to say on that matter.

Loindici

Veteran

Unfortunately, I see watermelons in his performance backdrops. It should be called out, no matter if people supports Palestine here.

njdevils94

Veteran
Semi 2 wasn't as strong as the first semi for me so Bashar and Sigga (even if it was via the wild card) made sense as qualifiers. Hera has one of her weaker songs but she was always making it. I'm sad Sunny or Blankiflúr didn't get the Wildcard but not surprised. Especially Sunny as her song was one of the rare ones with only an Icelandic version.

Looks like will be getting 5 English songs in the final. I'd advise Sigga to keep her's in Icelandic so the Go Tiffany meme lives on and also because it sounds much better than the English version.

empo21

Veteran
It'll be funny if EBU wants to change the watermelons considering the reason they became a symbol was because the Palestinian flag used to be banned for a short time.

I see no problem if EBU wants them to change it, but it's still very ironic.

crashworld

Veteran
I take it you haven't seen Bashar's interview from the first semifinal on Saturday? That shipped has already sailed sadly. Look at the whole staging of Vestrið villt. Wasn't exactly subtle what the point of the song now and the message it was pushing now was it?

Yes, I didn't watch his performance or listen to his performance/song coz I am not invested in the NF for all the countries this time round so didn't know what message he is trying to bring with his performance/song/participation.

The EBU are never consistent in anything when applying their own rules. If it were up to me Israel and Iceland's (most likely) entries would both be allowed to compete and express their feelings on what is currently going on. I think Bashar has a right to express his opinion and likewise Israel.

For the people complaining that the criticism is coming only because he is Palestinian. No, its coming because of the intentional timing and the fact that this entry will be politicized the whole spring.

You'd better off be admitting your real moral compass is simply israel = bad /palestine = good with no in between. That's all I have to say on that matter.

Oh well, what's new? Double-standards and hypocrisy all round.

I agree with your notion, if Israel is not allowed to bring in a song to lament about what DID happened to the nation, then I don't see why Iceland can (if Bashar won the NF) if he is trying to hijack his participation with a political agenda.

Now it's a matter of time who is faster in action - Israel decides to withdraw or Iceland picks Bashar as his representative.

And I am thinking, because now the Icelandic broadcaster said their participation is pretty much dependent on the winner. Let's just say if the eventual winner (if it's not Bashar) decides not to. I wonder if the broadcaster will change their tune and extend the invitation the other finalists to participate and Bashar will then eventually be selected as Iceland's entrant. I don't exactly know what his stand if Israel in the end can continue to participate and decides to compete. Because I can't see him turning down this opportunity because the general public opinion is pretty much Pro-Palestine.

Loindici

Veteran
It'll be funny if EBU wants to change the watermelons considering the reason they became a symbol was because the Palestinian flag used to be banned for a short time.

I see no problem if EBU wants them to change it, but it's still very ironic.

It's never merely about the watermelons, but it helps to clarify what Bashar's (or even RUV's) intention in participating is. EBU won't probably do shit about it anyways.

Sararl

As you'll recall, Eurovision is a song contest, and the song was co-written by two Icelanders. This isn't one of the many cases of songs being bought from Swedes by other countries and handed off to one of their locals, which makes much less sense, in my opinion.

Also, Bashar Murad spent time in Iceland, studied there, and made friends and connections to the community. I mean, it's not like he necessarily needed to do all of that since RÚV accepted him and the song into their selection anyway and that's what matters, and as I said, he has Icelandic songwriters and sang in Icelandic which, as far as I know, is all they ask for. As for the other person complaining that Iceland has never done this before, it's certainly not the first time a non-native Icelander takes part in Söngvakeppnin as they had a Czech (dual citizen) singer a few years ago, at least two Faroese acts in the 2010s, an American in 2008 and 2009 (Seth Sharp), and probably others too, but I'd have to research further.

Are you equally upset about a Spanish act representing San Marino? A Brazilian in the Portuguese NF? A Dutch singer in the German NF? A French act in the Lithuanian NF? An Estonian act in the Finnish NF? Norwegian and Ukrainian artists in Melodifestivalen? I mean, if you go back far enough you could probably find at least one example for every country :lol: We've had Chileans in Benidormfest, Mexicans in Selecția Națională, Welsh and Albanian singers representing Cyprus, an Italian representing Latvia two years in a row, an Israeli representing France, an Australian representing the UK in 1996 (and a singer born and raised in the US winning the contest for them a year later), Luxembourg winning the contest on numerous occasions with singers with no connection to Luxembourg... (and no, they're not a microstate, they have a bigger population than Iceland)... that's just off the top of my head.

So I guess what I'm wondering is if you are really bothered about the prospect about a non-Icelander representing Iceland just as much as all those other examples I just mentioned, or if you're just upset about this specific scenario because of the overarching context and political implications. If it's the latter, then maybe it's best to be honest about that.

Exactly.
Also, you are deluding yourselves if you think Eurovision really is apolitical - I would say banning the Palestine flag from appearing and banning Russia is a pretty political move.
Just say you don't want a Palestinian competing and that's it.

That being said - I think the song is fun although is far from Bashar's best. The other songs in the SFs are kinda meh (but I feel the same about the songs in the Portuguese SF and the Spanish ones...).

hijirio

Veteran
I want Iceland to send Bashar just so Europe's so-called "freedom of expression" policy will be exposed.

ShoeFlo

First of all, I care about the Icelandic national final because Iceland is the country I feel connected to the most beside my own country. That’s why I watched the shows and that’s why I stated my opinion on the performances. This however does not mean I am “upset” in any way. If Bashar took part in a different NF I probably wouldn’t even have taken notice cause I don’t usually watch NFs except for Iceland and Germany.

And yes, you are right. I don’t like Brazilians in Portuguese NFs, I don’t like Ukrainians in Melodifestivalen. I think all Luxembourg wins are highly questionable even more so since even the composers of their winning songs were French.

I didn’t like it before when foreign artists joined the Icelandic national final. Although Marketa Irglova (I think that’s the Czech singer you referred to) isn’t comparable to Bashar, since she’s been living in Iceland since 2012 and is fluent in Icelandic.

I didn’t like Germany selecting a Slovenian singer as their representative for ESC 2020 who could barely speak the language. It’s obviously not a personal issue and I don’t mind Ben Dolic as a person at all but it’s a matter of principle.

So yes, If I had the choice I would establish a rule that an artist has to live in the country he represents for at least five years or something.

With regard to San Marino I am maybe a little inconsequential because many of their entries have a cheesy and iconic cult factor that sometimes had a strong appeal to me. Moreover San Marino never had a serious chance of winning the ESC so I could deal quite well with the circumstance they get represented by foreign artists over and over again.

With regard of Iceland again, I have been very familiar with their music scene for more than a decade now and you can say that I have more than just a soft spot for the music industry over there. There are many artists I would love to see on the Eurovision stage, many who would deserve to get a chance. Every once in a while some of my favs joins the NFs as CeaseTone did this year. Precisely because there are so many good artists in Iceland I think it’s a shame when an artist gets chosen who doesn’t have a connection to the place (with all due merits for Bashars dedication that you mentioned). And again: no hate against Bashar as a person who seems to be an adorable and gentle dude judging by the interviews I’ve seen of him.

And yes, not gonna lie, the possible political implications don’t leave me entirely cold. The user “crashworld” put it into words that I accord with. I am worried Bashar might use the big stage to spread a political message and to provoke Israel. If this is the plan it would be a very cheap move by the RÚV. The fact he is from Palestine doesn't play a role but his and RÚV’s (possible) intention does.

You’ve got a bit of a point here. I did not know the song was produced by Icelanders. Well, that’s something. In a perfect world however (the way I imagine it…) all countries would join with songs both composed and performed by domestic artists but that's a lost cause I guess :D

crashworld

Veteran
It's never merely about the watermelons, but it helps to clarify what Bashar's (or even RUV's) intention in participating is. EBU won't probably do shit about it anyways.

But I can understand if EBU won't step in NOW since it's still at the NF level and it's not within EBU's permit to dictate how the NF is run or how they select their representative. The only issue will only start if Iceland decides to pick Bashar to be the representative and then you will see if the double standards will start to flow like an opened flood gate assuming he is going to hijack his participation/performance with a political agenda.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
I don’t like Brazilians in Portuguese NFs
Ah so we basically immigrate here, pay our taxes, do our duties like every other Portuguese citizen out there but we can't even enjoy our own right of participating on a contest of a country we live in? The same way we do not have the rights to speak "Brazilian" (sic), complain about the issues the country has, or getting hired for better-paying jobs? (Without having to hear that we are stealing jobs or that we should go back to our countries). Go off I guess

Anyway, the more the days pass by, the more I want Bashar to win so that EBU drops the "apolitical" faux discourse for once (it's always been political and we shouldn't be delulu to think otherwise)

On a quite unrelated note the "Go Tiffany" ~meme is possibly my second favorite thing to come this season xheat so effortlessly iconic

njdevils94

Veteran
Go Tiffany has now become Good Energy after being changed to the English version. :(

At least Into the Atmosphere isn't as clunky as some other English translation Songvakeppnin songs we've have seen in previous years.

Top Bottom