Contact us

Hungary HUNGARY 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

John1

@Schlagerman1 Yes, that. Hungary is doing a Turkey here. They want to isolate themselves from the political and cultural influences of Europe. It's just a matter of time if more countries in the east will follow the same path, we are seeing similar development in Poland as well.
Poland won JESC twice though, so it wouldn't be very logical for them to leave ESC like that. It'll just take 2 or 3 years before Hungary's coming back tho

Poland won JESC twice though, so it wouldn't be very logical for them to leave ESC like that. It'll just take 2 or 3 years before Hungary's coming back tho
In an economic sense, this is indeed a dumb idea to withdraw and end international relations like that. A developing fascist state however, does not see the value in economical profit and global relevance but in cultural self-preservation. I think this will be for the worse when the political tension in the entire globe already is a shitshow that will not improve at all...

Last edited:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
I'm still very happy about Hungary being out of the contest. This country didn't contribute to the contest with anything good, except for 2015. As a matter of fact, I'm happy that all the countries currently not participating in the contest are still out, as they used to be among those I liked the least in the competition (only Andorra and Monaco were good). I hope Norway and Lithuania are gonna follow them soon.

A-lister

Veteran
Why are the juries to blame here? Hungary missed the final one time this previous decade. Is that reason enough to rage quit Eurovision? A lot of countries would kill for Hungary's qualification record.
Yes, imho they are, I think you need to look at the bigger scheme of things. Just like in the cases of plenty of other countries, when they sent something in their own language and try to take a chance or staying more true to themselves, the juries often downgrade them which gives a bad taste if you as a country/broadcaster/people want to use Eurovision as platform to showcase your music, language or/-and take musical "risks" (in the context of Eurovision) but then gets punished for it. If you can only "get away" with English language Pop, then the message it sends is basically "we don't want you in this contest unless you compromise this and this and this and basically not be yourselves".

In the last decade, Hungary sent 5 entries that were either fully or partly in Hungarian and 4 out of those are arguably "risk-taking" in the sense that not only were they sung in Hungarian, they also didn't follow any "conventional route" (Indie-Pop in 2013, ethno with rap in 2017 and 2019 and metal in 2018). Now in 2013, Hungary wouldn't have qualified to the finals if it were up to the juries. In the 2017 final, they were top. 10 with the televoters but bottom 10 with the juries. In 2018, they wouldn't have qualified if it were up to the juries. 2019 is the only exception from the rule, but let's be honest here, they were shared 9th in the jury vote so it wasn't a "major" push (hence why it didn't qualify in the end of the day).

And if we look at the more "compromised" entries, then they were bottom 5 with the juries in the finals of 2011-2012 and bottom 10 in 2016. Their only actual jury support was in 2014 when they sent a what? A English language, middle-of-the-road, "Americanized/Swedish"-styled Pop song... again what signal does that send?

So yeah, I don't blame them for being tired of being "punished" when all they wanted to do was to showcase their actual music scene xshrug

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
I think Hungary just waited for a "reason" to withdraw from the contest. Looking at those in charge of the country, it is obvious that the government just wanted to leave everything that has with Europe to do, even ESC.

I see this "argument" being thrown around quite often, but I don't buy it. Quite the contrary, often the more authoritarian a government gets, the more they want to "show off" in international platforms and use these stages for whitewashing their international image. Russia, Belarus and Azerbaijan are more than happy to use the Eurovision platform and spend lots of money on doing so while they talk down on huge parts of Europe (in particular the EU and Western Europe) on a daily basis.

Turkey left because of becoming more Islamic, which is the only exception really as Eurovision goes against those "norms", but the rest of the authoritarian gang stayed. Also, Hungary is far less "authoritarian" than any of these countries (in fact, I'd argue they aren't much worse than Sweden but that's a different topic).

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
I'm still very happy about Hungary being out of the contest. This country didn't contribute to the contest with anything good, except for 2015. As a matter of fact, I'm happy that all the countries currently not participating in the contest are still out, as they used to be among those I liked the least in the competition (only Andorra and Monaco were good). I hope Norway and Lithuania are gonna follow them soon.

GianlucaTomoe-vision here we go! Only countries approved which sends entries that GianlucaTomoe likes :lol:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
GianlucaTomoe-vision here we go! Only countries approved which send entries that GianlucaTomoe likes :lol:

I learnt it all from you, darling ;)

By the way, I corrected your grammar mistake in your post as well ;)

A-lister

Veteran
I learnt it all from you, darling ;)

By the way, I corrected your grammar mistake in your post as well ;)
Learned what? I want ideally all independent and recognized European countries to take part in Eurovision xshrug

Oh how clever of you, you should get a linguistic medal... all bow down xclap Is that really your "argument"? :lol:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Learned what? I want ideally all independent and recognized European countries to take part in Eurovision xshrug

Oh how clever of you, you should get a linguistic medal... all bow down xclap Is that really your "argument"? :lol:

My only argument is, I want a high class contest, and this cannot happen if we let countries which send horrible songs all the time continue taking part in the contest. I'd add Austria and Czech Republic to the list as well.

A-lister

Veteran
My only argument is, I want a high class contest, and this cannot happen if we let countries which send horrible songs all the time continue taking part in the contest. I'd add Austria and Czech Republic to the list as well.
Yeah sure that's why you feel the "need" to comment on someone's "grammar" xshrug ...

I want all countries in, even countries that normally don't send entries I like, I hope that they of course will also send stuff I like eventually xshrug

ESC94

I´m not trying to read this stuff because I don´t wanna lose my brain cells, but this song is dedicated to Gianluca:

@A-lister

Well, it´s of course up to you what you´re doing, but if I have the feeling that I could also talking to a wall because I doesn´t make any sence, I rather put this person on the ignore list. :)

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Awww that's so kind, a great Lily Allen song dedicated to me, she's among my fave singers and her music has always been daring and innovative xheart

Anyway, going back on topic (otherwise the mods will tear us apart): there's potential in the Hungarian music scene but their attitude towards the contest has been subpar so far.

ESC94

I mean, I completely understand your point and I guess thanks for the concern? But yeah, oddly it's entertaining. Of course there's not much to engage in conversation with, but sometimes we need a good laugh in life too right? :)

As I said, do what you think is right.

Btw, nice profile picture, looks much better than the old one. (y)

Sean

Admin
Staff member

Think it's safe to say the song that won A Dal wouldn't have done much for Hungary in Rotterdam...

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I love the amount of effort you've put in that title Sean. You've fully captured your unrivaled level of investment and enthusiasm.

Realest

A Dal is irrelevant without Eurovision. I wont listen to the Winner-Song.

A-lister

Veteran

Think it's safe to say the song that won A Dal wouldn't have done much for Hungary in Rotterdam...

Oh that was bad! My poor ears! Maybe someone from Hungary can explain better, is there some back-story here? Are they famous? Did they bribe the jury? xshrug

The winner in 2020 was great though:

Generally A Dal has been a pretty good national selection, also in this edition I heard a couple of good stuff so how this bad song ended up winning leaves me puzzled xshrug

Top Bottom