Contact us

How many countries will join?

Loindici

Veteran
Let's predict how many countries will join 2023 edition since some broadcasters got some drama with EBU and Ukraine won the contest.

Bobjan FR

Is there a reason why EBU doesn't "invite" others extra-europeans countries to eurovision like australia ? Because if there is a decrease of the number of participnts, it can be a solution to make the system of the contest worth.

In fact, i'm still dreaming that at some point, eurovision could involve countries all around the world.

HarryUK

Is there a reason why EBU doesn't "invite" others extra-europeans countries to eurovision like australia ? Because if there is a decrease of the number of participnts, it can be a solution to make the system of the contest worth.

In fact, i'm still dreaming that at some point, eurovision could involve countries all around the world.
Australia have a long history of watching Eurovision - might have a lot to do with their biggest foreign population being Brits, around 1 in 4 of the migrant population of Australia are British and we love Eurovision here

Mainshow

Veteran
Australia have a long history of watching Eurovision - might have a lot to do with their biggest foreign population being Brits, around 1 in 4 of the migrant population of Australia are British and we love Eurovision here

+ depending on which census you take into account, 80 to 90% the Australian population defines itself as "white of European descent". Their self-concept as well as them having a long history of watching Eurovision make the whole situation unique.

Kazakhstan hasn´t been invited due to them not having a separate, own telephone network (I read that they are using the Russian network) and thus, generating a valid televoting score is impossible - despite them being partly in Europe as well as being highly interested in Eurovision.

New Zealand´s situation regarding demographics can be compared to Australia somehow (even though less people define themselves as "descendants of Europeans") but the general public simply doesn´t give a damn about Eurovision - even smaller broadcasters are not interested in hosting the event (even though Australia does compete in Eurovision). I watched the Grand Final Eurovision 2017 in Wellington - alone in my room - on my phone; even though I desperately tried to find a way to watch it on TV or even find a café, bar, public screening. It´s the capital of New Zealand and I couldn´t find anything - I got a "breakfast offer" in Christchurch, though.

Canada, US are probably the same?

I think that China was the closest to "get invited" but LGTBQ+ and tattoos are prohibited and therefore, they better stay away.

Bobjan FR

Kazakhstan hasn´t been invited due to them not having a separate, own telephone network (I read that they are using the Russian network) and thus, generating a valid televoting score is impossible - despite them being partly in Europe as well as being highly interested in Eurovision.

Thinking about this, if russia is out, maybe kazakhstan can be in.

Looren

Veteran
I wonder: will any country return to Eurovision?

I don't think so

Turkey and Slovakia probably won't come back

Bosnia already said no

Also I don't really see Hungary coming back

But we might see Monaco return in 2024 if they join the EBU this year :D

Mainshow

Veteran
Any news on Kosovo? I recall that they try to apply for EBU membership this year.

dixenborg

I don’t see any sign of a crisis in terms of withdrawing participants impacting the contest’s viability.

Entering Eurovision is a pretty significant commitment for a broadcaster, even larger ones, (not necessarily financially but in terms of effort and resources to ensure success - however that is defined) and I don’t see anyone other than Australia getting excited enough to take part with all that entails.

I like Australia’s passion and long-standing relationship with Eurovision and they are the only country outside the region to have this. On that basis, I welcome them.

Kazakhstan have a path to Eurovision participation via Council of Europe membership. As a state with European territory but outside the European Broadcasting Area they would be eligible to participate as Council of Europe members.

Their human rights situation means they aren’t currently eligible for Council of Europe membership which for me says it all. When they join the Council of Europe they can participate.

Ezio

Veteran
I think next year could see the smallest number of participants in the modern era of Eurovision due to recession.

boyardor

I think and wish that 42 countries will come (Slovakia and Kosovo will join).

EliGrant6

idk about that...

i can only see montenegro and macedonia withdrawing.
I think Montenegro is planning on participating. There's no official confirmation, but this article does indicate that RTGC does intend to participate in 2023.

On the other hand, Macedonia does seems to be leaning toward withdrawing after the flag incident. That whole situation feels like the Damiano David snorting coke incident from last year. There's no actual reasoning, just people bored on twitter making drama.

I'm interested to see what will happen in Romania. They held that "referendum" show a few weeks ago, but I don't remember hearing if there was any result. If any country is going to withdraw, I think it's them. They seemed very salty after the grand final in Turin, especially after being accused of cheating with their jury votes.

EliGrant6

i don't think they can join... there are some other reasons apart from not being fully recognized i think .
Kosovo isn't able to participate because they don't have a member broadcaster in the EBU yet. They're looking to become a full member by the end of 2022. So it'll depend on when the EBU sets the deadline for countries to confirm their participate, which I think is usually in mid October, which might be too early for RTK. The way I see it, Kosovo will debut in 2024 at the earliest.

dixenborg

Unless something has changed, Kosovo will need to be in the ITU to join the EBU. As the ITU is a UN agency they aren’t currently able to join. I do believe I heard somewhere that the EBU were reviewing the ITU requirement which would potentially open the door to Kosovo’s participation.

Otherwise they would have to be invited. In the past it’s been suggested that this would be subject to the host nation recognising Kosovo. The UK does, Spain for example, does not.

EDIT: according to the article linked to above

The Director-General of RTK however recognises that there are significant hurdles to membership as Kosovo is not a member of the International Telecommunication Union which is a pre-requisite for EBU membership. In 2019 a vote was held to remove ITU membership as a criterion for EBU membership but failed to be passed.

Sammy

Veteran
Still waiting (and knowing it will not happen any soon) for Monaco and Luxemburg to return. They brought so much to the contest that I think the EBU should try as hard as they did with Italy to bring them back.

Furthermore I hope for Andorra to return, but I‘m realistic and I know this will also not be the case in the near future.

As for Morocco, after the alledged „normalization“ between them and Israel I was hoping to see them in the contest, but I should have known better. Everything that Trump bragged about is just a hoax and a big lie…

Last edited:

EDC0708

Boring answer from me, think it will be the exact same 40 as this year, don't think any of the current countries will withdraw, or any new countries will join or return this time, Monaco sounds promising for 2024 though.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Still waiting (and knowing it will not happen any soon) for Monaco and Luxemburg to return. They brought so much to the contest that I think the EBU should try as hard as they did with Italy to bring them back.

Furthermore I hope for Andorra to return, but I‘m realistic and I know this will also not be the case in the near future.

As for Morocco, after the alledged „normalization“ between them and Israel I was hoping to see them in the contest, but I should have known better. Everything that Trump braged about is just a hoax and a big lie…

i think it's more likely lebanon will return than morocco...

lebanon is much more liberal...

out of microstates i really hope for monaco and luxembourg to return and I believe Monaco will return next year... (along with turkey depending on elections)

slovakia could get us a surprise return tho.

Looren

Veteran
As for Morocco, after the alledged „normalization“ between them and Israel I was hoping to see them in the contest, but I should have known better.

Israel never was the problem tbh

But the contest is not popular at all here, actually barely anyone knows about it's existence

I don't think we might ever come back sadly :(

Top Bottom