12 8.3%

11 7.6%

17 11.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Datura

100%, but that was always obvious. He finished dead last in 2018 too and the people I was watching it were like meh. But The televote came through for him, I would have exactly predicted 3rd place with the 60-70k bubble votes. It's the juries that threw the curveball...
Totally i agree. I was pretty sure that the general public would not get him so 3rd place is as good as it gets. It's the low Jury Ranking that surprised me

LMLandLoreenfan

James Newman did both... I can see it happen. That said, it was a turning point for UK so maybe our own James Newman leads to the same thing. Schlager channel MDR in charge next year, national final with 10 Marie Reims. :love:
Isaak is a way better singer than James Newman and I think the NDR will never learn. It's all about the money.

Sammy

Veteran
Sorry, but the jury bashing here is pointless. If juries vote differently than the public, fans complain, if they vote accordingly to the public, fans still complain.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
So Germany have tied me to a plank of wood for three minutes of waving kryptonite in front of my face this year.. again. I see how it is, Germany. I see how it is.

God kindly intervened so that I missed the national final tonight but I did tune in to witness the results. The winning performance of Always On The Run did nothing to lift it from the dead last position I plopped it in when I initially heard the songs. Such a bland, irritating 3 minutes, with Isaak even deciding to do his best indie girl introduces us to her kitchen voice *shivers* during the bridge to make me struggle just a little bit more. And the elephant sound effects... the elephant sound effects!? It totally makes sense though that the German public would support this entry. The UK would do exactly the same if we brought our national finals back. Two peas in a very unfortunate pod. I'm sorry.

:2: points

Last edited:

I bims

Veteran
And they failed miserably.
The juries, in the NF and the Grand Final, consist of singers, TV hosts, producers etc.
So if they liked Isaak, it's likely they will like him in May as well?

If the NF jury was just music professionals judging the best composition, their judgement won't align with the criteria of the jury in May.

Gwendal

ChaChaLand (without Ryan Gosling :( emoji sadboi)
Ich bin traurig für dich, Deutschland.

Isaak will get 23rd place at best (which would still be awesome to recent years) but as in 2018 and 2019, you had better choices.
(But at least, in 2018, there were TWO good choices.)
That's a Frenchman speaking. For Slimane, tonight's result is a very good piece of news. But for Germany in Eurovision, I don't have any clue left to make you leave the bottom five. And Barbara is clearly not the biggest problem here.

Storm

Going from whiny, self-pitying 'I'm tired, tired of always losing' to an angry, shouty 'I'm nothing but the average, noone gives a shit about me'.

kamc

The song isn’t awful and he has a great voice….but it still sounds like something that would have won from the UK’s You Decide selection back in 2018/19.
It’s kind of sad to think a decade ago we had great quality acts taking part in the German national final like Marie Marie, Keoma, Unheilig, Betty Dittrich, etc but over the years the quality has just fallen off a cliff.

Storm

The song isn’t awful and he has a great voice….but it still sounds like something that would have won from the UK’s You Decide selection back in 2018/19.
It’s kind of sad to think a decade ago we had great quality acts taking part in the German national final like Marie Marie, Keoma, Unheilig, Betty Dittrich, etc but over the years the quality has just fallen off a cliff.

Absolutely. Ultimately, the conclusion I'm drawing from all of this is the same I had when we were researching the entries. We are in no state to host a national final at the moment. The quality is just not there. And sure, NDR made some boneheaded decisions over the years, like that ridicilous radio concept the year Electric Callboy applied LMAO, but I genuinely think the quality of applications is pretty terrible. The field is just not deep. Add to that the uselessness of the ARD audience. I was curious to see the bubble's strength but they were not even able to push their favorite to the top at 0:15 am against the average ARD mom's favorite acts... we really should go internal, even if I love national finals as a fan obviously.

jatojo

we really should go internal, even if I love national finals as a fan obviously.

That’s more or less the only conclusion that should NOT be drawn from tonight. Let’s ban internal selections instead.

Smudy

That’s more or less the only conclusion that should NOT be drawn from tonight. Let’s ban internal selections instead.
I would really like to not be last place every single year, i'll take going internal for this.

jatojo

Sorry, but the jury bashing here is pointless. If juries vote differently than the public, fans complain, if they vote accordingly to the public, fans still complain.
Yes, jury bashing in itself is wrong if it means “get rid of juries”. But still, the jury systems should be subject to discussion. Are the juries only there to reward good singing? I don’t think so, other criteria are important too. Are the juries there to tell us which songs will do best at Eurovision? In some countries, yes, but I don’t really like the concept.

In any case, a pure televote decision would be devastating.

Top Bottom