(We used to be the rockstars)
(We used to be the rockstars)

Remembering gets so hard
When time is moving so fast
Wish there was a way to know that we're in
The good old days before we all just leave 'em​

Last edited by a moderator:

missbones

Kurz hasn't submitted that particular song to NDR/ARD, though.

Let's be real... we won't face any well-established artists in our national final after Jendrik, Sisters, Levina, Ann-Sophie and Jamie-Lee and their them finishing last in the televoting (or Ann-Sophie and Jamie-Lee in total).

What I love about Kurz is his voice which is more memorable and remarkable than the voices we`ve heard in recent years. This doesn`t mean that his voice can´t be reminicent of another artist's voice.

I´d prefer another route, a more progressive and unique one, e.g. submitting a metal, folk or even Schlager song to Eurovision (just to try something different and to stick out in a competition with 24 other acts), but again, let´s be real.... 5 "experts" from NDR, ARD, BR will decide on the 5 acts who will be part of our national final.... they have been in charge of our national final and jury decisions for years now and look at what we just sent to Eurovision... they will not select artists such as Faun, Unheilig or other acts which got previously mentioned in this very forum/thread.... and that´s why I would love to see someone like Kurz with a good and honest and authentic song in our final - something which is representative of "what is being played/listened to in Germany".
It has always bothered me that we tried to submit English pop songs to Eurovision whilst most Germans either listens to rock, metal, Schlager or pop performed in German.
Apart from Nico Santos and maybe the likes of Lena and Co., we haven't been great at producing English pop music since, dunno, NoAngels/Monrose/Jeanette/Sarah Connor? - Let us finally submit something which is produced by and for Germans to finally get some support behind it... there is no need to submit something foreign which is not representative of our music scene.

Anyway, I would love to be wrong about this but I´m afraid that in the end, we will face another national final filled with boring English songs which may be radio-friendy but not really competitive by newcomers and the one occasional bop like "Wear Your Love" will be killed by a mediocre performance :D

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. As a foreign person who loves German music (i don't even stick to one genre, even tho i like rock/rap the most) , thank you so much for saying this! Every time i read this thread i feel like i'm wrong for liking certain songs or artists, not to mention when people say a song in German wouldn't work because... whatever? Have you seen the direction ESC has been taking these past few years? I'm not going to say French or Italian because people could be indeed more used to them, but why on earth would German be SO different to Ukrainian, for example? But you do you. I just love diversity and hate seeing artists i really like/songs that would add so MUCH to the contest being overlooked just because they don't sing in English.

krivac

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. As a foreign person who loves German music (i don't even stick to one genre, even tho i like rock/rap the most) , thank you so much for saying this! Every time i read this thread i feel like i'm wrong for liking certain songs or artists, not to mention when people say a song in German wouldn't work because... whatever? Have you seen the direction ESC has been taking these past few years? I'm not going to say French or Italian because people could be indeed more used to them, but why on earth would German be SO different to Ukrainian, for example? But you do you. I just love diversity and hate seeing artists i really like/songs that would add so MUCH to the contest being overlooked just because they don't sing in English.
German is not a beautiful as French & Italian and a ballad in German would've done way worse than a French/Italian ballad

If Germany wants to send a song in German let it be with Schlager or something more edgy.

hungo

German is not a beautiful as French & Italian and a ballad in German would've done way worse than a French/Italian ballad

If Germany wants to send a song in German let it be with Schlager or something more edgy.
Only something edgy could work in german.

missbones

well, i wouldn't know about beautiful, to me it is and i love learning it. I would say it just isn't a musical sounding language. But that's exactly why i said Ukrainian, also Origo and Hatrið Mun Sigraa did really well televote-wise a couple of years ago, and those are definitely not friendly languages. But they were all songs that stood out for different reasons: it obviously is about the song and not the language (a bland song will always be a bland song). I'm just saying i can't understand the argument of disregarding something just because "it wouldn't appeal people, it sounds too strong" while having so many examples of songs that were and sounded indeed.... strong.

I bims

Veteran
Spain has been sending spanish songs most of the time and that never helped them. So have a lot of balkan states. Just because there've been amazing french and italian songs this year that did really well, that doesn't mean the whole contest is now suddenly changing and language is now the main factor. The songs that did well this year were first and foremost amazing songs with amazing artists. That's what we need and that's what we're lacking.

krivac

non-English songs are working only for Italy & France nowadays. For the rest is mostly a huge failure with few exceptions.

For example Israel, since they abandoned Hebrew they have a qualification streak. And then there's Georgia which their worst songs & results were with songs in Georgian.

Most of the worst ESC songs ever are in not in English.

Grinch

non-English songs are working only for Italy & France nowadays. For the rest is mostly a huge failure with few exceptions.
And English is working for other countries? Nah!

The problem with this contest was having mostly 2 kind of songs for many years: bland pop songs & boring ballads. People were fed up with that. In 2021, countries dared to send risky, different entries and it worked!
So it's not the language, it's the music and the dated concepts.

missbones

Spain has been sending spanish songs most of the time and that never helped them. So have a lot of balkan states. Just because there've been amazing french and italian songs this year that did really well, that doesn't mean the whole contest is now suddenly changing and language is now the main factor. The songs that did well this year were first and foremost amazing songs with amazing artists. That's what we need and that's what we're lacking.
that's exactly what i said in my next message? My point wasn't about the language itself, it was about disregarding interesting german songs/artists in every single list or message and not thinking of giving them a chance just because they do german music (which for most people only involves radio friendly Deutschpop, apparently, as if there's just that and schlager, no more options!).

lasse braun

The problem with this contest was having mostly 2 kind of songs for many years: bland pop songs & boring ballads.
mostly but not 100%.
in 2019 was lilly among the clouds - true timeless quality and maybe the best (possible) german ESC-song of all times.
thrown away for selfishness (from mister s. )
xheart x12pointsxheart

I bims

Veteran
that's exactly what i said in my next message? My point wasn't about the language itself, it was about disregarding interesting german songs/artists in every single list or message and not thinking of giving them a chance just because they do german music (which for most people only involves radio friendly Deutschpop, apparently, as if there's just that and schlager, no more options!).
Oh sorry, I may have misunderstood you bc you emphasized the language aspect. My mistake :')

And I mean I would give artists a shot that sing in german... but it is a uphill battle because I really hate the sound of our language.

Sammy

Veteran

ESC94

CPV4931

According to NDR's representatives, we will see a national final in which 3 up to 7 acts are about to compete in.
source: "Clubtreffen, Cologne last weekend".
As far as I understood in Cologne, Alexandra didn´t mention 3 to 7 as a fix corridor, but as examples that 5 isn´t the fix number of participants

Vondenburg

And now to the performance. :)
I still think they need an oxygen tent after the 3 minutes, if they want to do a good show.

Top Bottom