Contact us

FSC #113: July 2018 - Montreal, Canada - THE SHOW! | RESULTS from page 8

aardvark

FSC Mod
Staff member

Zf7gyB1.png

Welcome all to Montreal, Canada, for this, the 113th edition of the Forum Song Contest, in July 2018.

We are here in Canada this month, due to the victory in FSC 112 with Celine Dion's new hit, 'Ashes', from the Blackpool II soundtrack:

Our Host City for this edition is Montreal, the beloved hometown of Celine Dion.

jHU8g5h.png

Montreal is the most populous municipality in the Canadian province of Quebec and the second-most populous municipality in Canada. Originally called Ville-Marie, or "City of Mary", it is named after Mount Royal, the triple-peaked hill in the heart of the city. The city is centred on the Island of Montreal, which took its name from the same source as the city, and a few much smaller peripheral islands, the largest of which is Île Bizard. It has a distinct four-season continental climate with warm to hot summers and cold, snowy winters.

3RVzt5A.png

Historically the commercial capital of Canada, Montreal was surpassed in population and in economic strength by Toronto in the 1970s. It remains an important centre of commerce, aerospace, transport, finance, pharmaceuticals, technology, design, education, art, culture, tourism, food, fashion, gaming, film and world affairs. Montreal has the second-highest number of consulates in North America, serves as the location of the headquarters of the International Civil Aviation Organization, and was named a UNESCO City of Design in 2006. In 2017, Montreal was ranked the 12th most liveable city in the world by the Economist Intelligence Unit in its annual Global Liveability Ranking, and the best city in the world to be a university student in the QS World University Rankings

kaRoRuA.png

Montreal has hosted multiple international conferences and events, including the 1967 International and Universal Exposition and the 1976 Summer Olympics. It is the only Canadian city to have held the Summer Olympics. In 2012, Montreal was ranked as a Beta-plus world city. As of 2016 the city hosts the Canadian Grand Prix of Formula One, the Montreal International Jazz Festival and the Just for Laughs festival. The Montreal Fireworks Festival, is the most prestigious and largest fireworks festival in the world. And now, in July 2018, Montreal is also the proud host of the Forum Song Contest.

XPNPP2h.png

The host venue for this FSC edition is the Bell Centre.

The Bell Centre (French: Centre Bell), formerly known as the Molson Centre, is a sports and entertainment complex in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It opened on March 16, 1996, after nearly three years under construction. It is best known as the home of the National Hockey League's Montreal Canadiens ice hockey team, and it has the largest arena capacity to regularly host an NHL team. Since it opened in 1996, it has consistently been listed as one of the world's busiest arenas, usually receiving the highest attendance of any arena in Canada.

QoRqC30.png

The building covers an area of 15,680 square metres or 168,778 square feet. It has a seating capacity of 21,288, making it the largest hockey arena in the world. It also holds six restaurants.

SoP75oG.png

Now it is time to meet our entertaining hosts for these proceedings: they are Don Cherry and Ron MacLean, from the popular "Hockey Night In Canada".

kvK3tZD.png

Don Cherry (born February 5, 1934) is a Canadian ice hockey commentator. He is a sports writer, as well as a retired professional hockey player and NHL coach. Cherry co-hosts the "Coach's Corner" intermission segment (with Ron MacLean) on the long-running Canadian sports program Hockey Night in Canada which airs on Sportsnet, City and CBC. He has also worked for ESPN in the United States as a commentator during the latter stages of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Nicknamed Grapes, he is a Canadian icon known for his outspoken manner and opinions, flamboyant dress, and staunch Canadian nationalism.

Ron MacLean (born April 12, 1960) is a Canadian sportscaster for the CBC and Sportsnet who is best known as the host of Hockey Night in Canada from 1986 to 2014 and 2016 to present, and is also a hockey referee. MacLean has won eight Gemini Awards for his work with CBC. His first was in 1992 for Best Sports Broadcaster; he also won the Best Sports Broadcaster award in 1994, 1997, 1998 and 2001. He won Best Host or Interviewer in a Sports Program or Sportscast in 2004 and again in 2006. In 1996, he was inducted into the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame. In 2015, he was inducted into the Oakville Sports Hall of Fame. In 2016, MacLean, along with his Coach's Corner co-host Don Cherry, received a star on Canada's Walk of Fame.

By the 2017–18 NHL season, Cherry and MacLean have hosted Coach's Corner for 33 seasons.

It is time to sit back and relax and enjoy our opening act: Here is our current FSC champion, the evergreen Celine Dion performing her French-language hit 'Pour que tu m'aimes encore':

And without any further ado, let the Forum Song Contest begin!

After 19 exquisite entries, we have reached the halfway mark. It is time to take a short break from the competition, and for your enjoyment, we have two performers from Eurovision 2018.

First up is Saara Aalto performing 'Domino':

And next up is Michael Schulte from Germany performing 'End of my days':

After that break, let us continue with the last half of our entries:

And in conclusion, our closing act, another Canadian artist reaching great heights, here is The Weeknd with 'Starboy':

Evaluation Period
We will now observe the 7 day Evaluation Period.
If you find any issues during this time with the eligibility of any of the entries, please report it to the Mod Team by PM.

After the Evaluation Period has passed, the voting deadline and vote collector will be announced.

Have fun with this month's FSC-edition!

Journalist

Re: FSC #113: July 2018 - Montreal, Canada - THE SHOW!

Great show as always :) well done [MENTION=13133]aardvark[/MENTION]

JChan

Wow FSC dreams do come true!! Thanks for exceeding my expectations and creating such a fantastic show!! xheart xcheer

jbusic

Exciting!!

Zorjan

FSC Mod
Staff member

Nice show! :D

I wasn't really that interested in hockey till the world cup was being held in Denmark a few months ago, but now I think it's the most awesome Canadian theme ever! :D Well done!

Edward

Love the banners xheart Great work!

tugberkic

Great show and good job aardvark :) anddddddd i think i already know the new winner but will keep it now haha :D

aardvark

FSC Mod
Staff member

Thanks for all the appreciative comments folks! Hope you all will enjoy this edition immensely.

Please note that 2 of the files in the download archive were replaced. If you have already done the downloads, please check into the Private Member Forum again, and be sure you have the corrected files.

Gabor77

Great show!! :p As far as I listened to all the songs it seems to be a really strong month!!! xheat And I am especially happy that Hungary sent an entry in hungarian!!! I was waiting for that for three months now xyaaay Let a great month of July begin xcheer

A-lister

Veteran

[MENTION=13133]aardvark[/MENTION]

Great show xcheer

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member

:no: For the summer-month of July 2018, after several months with different music genres, Norway returns with Electronic Dance Music (EDM)! :D Performers of “Ignite” is Norwegian EDM-artist/Producer K-391 ft. colleague Alan Walker, Norwegian pop-artist Julie Bergan & Korean pop-artist Seungri on vocals. For more information and promotion of the entry (including lyrics in English) please check out the FSC Norway-thread and the FSC Promotions-thread! Hope you’ll enjoy it!

Great Show, [MENTION=13133]aardvark[/MENTION] - , have a Great summer, everyone - and Good luck to all entries this month!
tqcd9Op.png

Datura

thanks for the show guys x12s

also: is there a place where we can / want to talk about the songs? i'm always interested who people think are the favourites (not the personal favourites but those we think might take the crown) xyes

hawadharma

thanks for the show guys x12s

also: is there a place where we can / want to talk about the songs? i'm always interested who people think are the favourites (not the personal favourites but those we think might take the crown) xyes

Let's start! :lol: what is your prediction?

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Let's start! :lol: what is your prediction?

Pitcairn Islands will win with 12 from everyone.

hawadharma

To celebrate [MENTION=16050]Datura[/MENTION] 's enthusiasm and bring some spirit to the FSC forum (instead of only towards the end of the month where the admin chases votes), hereby I present you my top 20:

FSC July 2018
Top 20 from [MENTION=4743]hawadharma[/MENTION]
(in alphabetical order):

ezgif-1-aa36f0185b.gif

Wait!! There's still a catch.

In the following posts, I will put my comments on the Top 20 songs without mentioning which songs/countries it belongs to.

So, Happy Guessing!!

evil-smile-gif-7.gif

Datura

^neither do i (and usually i'm wrong anyway :D i generally don't have the winner in my top10). not saying they are MY favourites, but i thought maybe the UK or Spain could take the crown this time (if i narrow it down to 2) but yes, the field is wide open

hawadharma

@Hawadharma Top 20 Comments (Batch 1):

Song #1:

I don't know how this make my Top 10 because it's kinda cliche.
But I can't help dancing and shaking my body to the tunes. The rapping is a bonus to an otherwise typical song.

Song #2:
An indie entry which video clip caught my attention. I have no problem at all with the lyrics repetition cause its kinda fun.

Song #3:

Cultural appropriation is too rampant in this entry. However, I give credit to the creativity and the song is decent.

Song #4:

This country never disappoints. Home of great EDM songs. This is no exception, it might be on its way to FSC championship (again)

Song #5:

in the LL, I bashed this song as a major rip-off of another song. Now, I am enjoying the beat.

hawadharma

@Hawadharma Top 20 Comments (Batch 2):

Song #6:

One of few rock songs in this batch which is proudly sang fully in native language. And deserve a spot in my top 20.

Song #7:
One of few ballads in this edition, and it's a great one.
Love the voice which is full of emotion.

Song #8:

Song is out of season, but it's so catchy that I don't even care.
This country needs to quit sending this artist or they will always end up an obvious winner.

Song #9:

This song is decent enough to make it to my Top 20 however I can see it slipping out from my Top 10.
Good pop song, but quite bland.

Song #10:

An underrated ESC artist, I enjoy the multilingual lyrics in this song apart from the infectious upbeat rhythm.

hawadharma

@Hawadharma Top 20 Comments (Batch 3):

Song #11:

Loving this infectious disco number with ethnic influence so much, it reminds me of another song which gets my 12 points in
one of the past ESC (from the same country)

Song #12:
Mysterious artists, cannot find any proper picture of them in internet but I love their quirky combination.

Song #13:

Another underrated ESC artiste who has mesmerised me with the unique music style he brought.
This song is no exception, in fact slightly better than his ESC entry.

Song #14:

This pop song intro is just ordinary and nothing special, but it gets a lot better in bridge and chorus.
Hard to keep this out of my top 20.

Song #15:

The moment I heard this song in LL, I knew this would end up in my Top 5. The language is not normally appealing to me, but it
totally works with this duet number.

Top Bottom