Contact us

EUROVISION 2023 - FINAL REHEARSALS AND LIVE SHOW DISCUSSION

SpiritofKeiino

Could Ukraine get the 'youth vote'? Not really my thing, but it does sound and look contemporary. We don't get a lot of RnB at Eurovision.

EscGeek

Veteran
Some thoughts about SF1:

:ie: went up my list after the rehearsals and i how have it as my 10th qualifier.
:az: dropped out of my top 20 in favor of :be:
I have mixed feelings for :il:, because i like it, but it's also annoyingly overrated.

Ezio

Veteran

HarryUK

Veteran
UK’s rehearsal:

🇬🇧 United Kingdom takes to the stage…

Well, this is a LOT of fun. Mae's dressed in black trousers with a rather fabulous corset jacket, and starts the performance on a raised plinth in front of the LED wall. It features huge pop art-style graphics that blend really cleverly with the live staging - there's a section at the beginning where Mae's face splits in two horizontally, so she's literally inside her own head. It gives the whole thing a pop video quality that looks great live, and we suspect it will look even better on TV.

She's flanked by four dancers in red and black, who join her at the front of the stage for a VERY polished dance routine through the second half. It's kept the spoken middle eight that we saw through pre-party season, and it all builds to a big old pop banger finish. Definitely one of the tracks in this year's contest that we're going to hear in bars all over Europe this summer.

We already know that Mae is going to perform last in the Grand Final, and it’s hard to imagine a better closing song for a home crowd. This is going to go VERY big in the hall.

stephanos13

No TikTok videos for the Big 5 yet?

Also we won't see any footage from Spain and one more country today?

simori95

Sorry but France doesn’t work for me at all, the France flag and the whole grandeur with her being turned into a giant human rocket makes me immediately associate it with „Marine Le Pen election campaign“

ayzelto

Here are some opinions on the big 5 pictures:

Germany: The costumes are spot on. The pictures don't reveal much, but I think the televoters will appreciate it.

Italy: I still don't think this will do well in the Grand Final. They kept it simple, which is not a bad thing, but how will it appeal to the voters?

Ukraine: The pictures look impressive. Ukraine knows how to play Eurovision.

Spain: It's exactly the same as in the national final. No surprises here.

France: This is my favorite of the year. The pictures look great, but I'm not sure if I like that she will be standing still for the entire 3 minutes. I think this song needs some movement, especially towards the end. I don't know how this will look on TV, but was it necessary to stay static for the entire performance?

UK: The pictures are great. They managed to create something really cool, but we all know how Mae sings live...

JenJen94

Best staging from the lot? France, 100%. It's absolutely fantastic. Was speechless when I saw the photos and her staging!! A real threat for the trophy imo

UK, Germany and Spain all looking strong too with their staging! Italy's is very pretty, I also like it alot!

Ukraine also looking very slick and very cool!

Honestly, I think the big 5 (and Ukraine) have all smashed it this year. I don't dislike a single one. xclap

crashworld

Veteran
My thoughts on the grand finalists based on pictures:

• Germany - Looks really good! First time in years they got the staging right. Time to escape the bottom 5 fate. Very Italy 2021 but only much more elaborated.
  • Italy - Basically nothing to be seen except there are 2 dancers. I presume that is not the final outfit he's going to wear in the GF?
  • Ukraine - The yellow + blue + orange combo is sending. Looks good so far.
  • Spain - Basically a replica of the NF. Not too fond of what she is wearing. Look way too modern for the song.
  • France - Looks amazing. I love this shot. Basically, giving me a winner's shot. Love her outfit and her elevated on a platform. Could win. I wouldn't mind if France takes it all this time.
    230504_Sarah%20Louise%20Bennett_EBU_1060.jpg
  • UK - Not sure why they went with the early 0s vibes (giving me kinda Madonna feels) and not taking out something from the music video, which looks pretty fresh. Again, another performance with own face, but looks more interesting.

My ranking would be:
  1. France
  2. Ukraine
  3. Germany
  4. United Kingdom
  5. Spain/Italy

Top Bottom