Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

mauve

Veteran

BorisBubbles

Veteran
@BorisBubbles

Will choose a row/column when I've stopped giggling uncontrollably at the Georgia pic.:lol:
Everything concerning "You" (the anger, the stubborness, the ear-fucking, the "SUNSHINE I WANNA TOUCH YOU") is so fucking evocative of this epic muppet show sketch

it's even funnier when you consider that the beetred muppet looks exactly like Tornike as well xheart

Iker

Veteran
Albania will have it WAY harder to qualify this year: their natural point banks are mostly in Semi 1, with some exceptions like 🇲🇩 🇬🇷 being in Semi 2. I don't think Albania will qualify if they're depending on natural voters.

Might Karma be a standout on the rehearsals? We'll see -- especially since SJB and kids are going to take care of the staging.
Hopefully :al: will qualify but it's 50/50 for me.

0scar

There will be audience allowed in the arena, as all nine shows will be used as a so-called fieldlab experiment to test how to safely organize events.
Each show, 3500 people. They have to be tested negatively on the coronavirus, and because of travel restrictions, only citizens of the Netherlands will be allowed.

Source in Dutch

mauve

Veteran
PrePartyES: April 24th, 22:00 CET.
The first acts that confirmed participation are: France, Serbia, Australia, San Marino.

mauve

Veteran
There will be audience allowed in the arena, as all nine shows will be used as a so-called fieldlab experiment to test how to safely organize events.
Each show, 3500 people. They have to be tested negatively on the coronavirus, and because of travel restrictions, only citizens of the Netherlands will be allowed.

Source in Dutch
Here's a source in English:

Ezio

Veteran
I just realized the EBU pulled the same stunt already twice (2015, 2019)

First putting Italy ahead in the voting and then let them have caught up by Sweden. And the big points for Sweden are usually towards the end.

midnightsun

Veteran
Only two acts performing last didn't qualify.

No surprise here because producers always put the favourites in some of the last spots.

This is what I mean when I‘m talking about selffulfilling prophecy. Since the running order is no longer random, this table is basically useless because of course the „better“ songs (by betting odds or which are desired to win) get the better spots.

More interesting would be the tables before 2013.

FilipFromSweden

A good example is "Nobody but you". It got the same amount of televotes in the semi as Toy, but was put very early in the running order for the Grand Finale. Fans cheered because it only got 71 televote points because it wasn't a fan favourite, but still there were many points lost in the recency bias. I would argue the early running order costed 100 points or more and maybe 2nd place. Which is a good thing, because fandoms would have hated us Sweden-style if we kicked their Fuego down. I am not salty about it, but it's a plausible assumption.

2nd half isn't always great neither. The early positions in the 2nd half are among the least memorable. Keiino is the only exception from that rule. Usually, 14 to 17 bomb. And the last position is all or nothing. You have to slay or you lose.

Another exception from the rule would Estonia 2015, which got a great televote result in a field of 27. Their staging was just extremely effective and the song was very contemporary and appealing to everyone. But I'd also argue, they lost 100 to 150 due to their running order.
Disagree.
Semi-finals are mostly watched by Eurovision fans and others who have nothing better to do, hence why Toy did so much better in the finale: the average viewer pretty much only watches the finale and Toy attracted the average viewer more than it did the Eurovision fans.

For so long fans whined about how you could only win if you were performing late, while in the 4 of the last 6 editions the winning positions have been #11, #10, #11th and #12th

And also, semi-final running orders literally mean nothing

Loindici

Veteran

crashworld

Veteran
And also, semi-final running orders literally mean nothing

If it means nothing then why didn't the showrunners not put the favourites in the so-called undesirable slots? We all know that the running order has a certain effect on the songs. And chances could be amplified or diminished depending on which song comes before and after.

Top Bottom