15 12.4%

13 10.7%

22 18.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Estonia-scaled.jpg

Nemo89

If i like a ballad doesn't mean that i have to like every ballad exists but you really can't accept it! And i haven't said anything offensive about Italy's entry so you can't say i'm hater!

And i don't like Slovenia's entry!

My love.

I have not written that among all those who do not like the Italian song you are the best. You weren't offensive. I also wrote that you liked the song of Slovenia if I wasn't wrong. I haven't 100% said I know your tastes. You are free to have your opinions and I accept them. I just don't think the other ballads are clearly superior but, more or less, on the same level. Anyway ... I'm glad I wasn't wrong about you considering "The best in me" better than "Fai rumore"xshock1::lol:

Forever Yours.
Lord Nemo.

Post scriptum: Now that I have finished writing these sweet words to my beloved Citelis xheart, I can go with my friends to "fox hunting" xhunter Has anyone seen my sandwiches?!! xwaitxpunish

Realest

With each passing day, the more convinced I am Realest is an ESC juror parody account.

but i have to thank you.

Thank you for formulating exactly why Uku is in fact the worst of the year. A calculated, soulless, insidious attempt at jury pandering. An uncanny valley abomination to ensnare those without the willingness to think critically. (Ie: messy shallow gays and sex-starved fraus)

Fortunately 'What Love Is' is so typical and tepid that it has no appeal beyond physical attraction. It is only a matter of time until justice (sorry, Justice) happens and he finds himself curbstomped by a coven of Icelandic nintendo nerds.

You call it soulless and calculated, I call it professional, powerful and competitive. You just criticize Estonia for doing their Job correctly and sending the Song with the (probably) most Successpotential. I mean if they send whatever Trash you like (wasnt Heart Winder your #1?) they are dead on Arrival, Uku gives them at least a realistic Chance (like 50-60%) to reach the Final and get a solid 11th-20th Place.
And yes, Im aware that he wont stand a Chance against Iceland this Year, but Estonia was probably never going to be a Top10 Contender from the Beginning (even with Jaagup).

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I don't dislike "Fai rumore", but I find it plain and *typical*, if that makes sense. Italy had a pretty great decade and "Fai rumore" just feels like a downgrade of what Italy were like before they peace'd in the early 90s... which is not an Italy I personally enjoyed much.

He will get an easy top 10 though. Like, the song is okay, the vocal is good. But this is so far off from what I normally support that I can't really give more than a 4/5 at best.

Btw, further testemony of "What love is" being shit. We're discussing Diodato in its thread. Diodato.

Nemo89

I don't dislike "Fai rumore", but I find it plain and *typical*, if that makes sense. Italy had a pretty great decade and "Fai rumore" just feels like a downgrade of what Italy were like before they peace'd in the early 90s... which is not an Italy I personally enjoyed much.

He will get an easy top 10 though. Like, the song is okay, the vocal is good. But this is so far off from what I normally support that I can't really give more than a 4/5 at best.

Btw, further testemony of "What love is" being shit. We're discussing Diodato in its thread. Diodato.
I don't understand how it is possible for you to understand the Italy of the 90s. We in the 90s competed for a total of 5/10! If you are an expert on Italian music of the 90s, you will know the protests of Enrico Ruggeri and the Jalisse who reproached RAI for not focusing on the ESC. As further evidence, the horrendously organized ESC 1990 (RAI didn't want to spend too much) and the best songs left at home for fear of victory.

You tell me about Diodato's song as an old ballad? Many sounds that you are very fond of, are not original indeed ... if you listen well to the songs you like, they have made a nice jump back in time. For me they are weak defenses of a sterile thought.

I have seen your votes and I don't think you express your thoughts against Italy but you are biased and approximate. I noticed however that you are a guy who likes catchy sounds compared to ballads and I respect him.

Let's close the Diodato issue and talk about Estonia. I never said that their song sucks. At the beginning I said "7 points for me", then listening to all the songs again I realized that it could not be in my "Top 10". This is a balanced comment. In fact, I never allowed myself to offend artists from other nations. For me they are all great artists who go to ESC to play their chance.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
You call it soulless and calculated, I call it professional, powerful and competitive. You just criticize Estonia for doing their Job correctly and sending the Song with the (probably) most Successpotential.
Except, they haven't.

Like, I can accept Estonia devolving if it pays dividents for them at the contest itself. It ultimately doesn't matter how shit the NF is, as long as the *one* good song won.

They couldn't even do that.

I mean if they send whatever Trash you like (wasnt Heart Winder your #1?) they are dead on Arrival,
Yup, Heart Winder was my fave. It still is, actually. So what? This might be a novel concept to you, at no point, in this thread OR elsewhere, did I say it should win Eesti Laul, despite being my fave. I knew full well it would combust in a blaze of self-inficted incompetency from second one and never pretended otherwise.

Instead I supported "Beautiful lie" (a song I gave 7/10 to, I can show you the receipts if you wish them) all the way through as the winner. I never loved "Beautiful lie", but recognized it as the best choice available.

Personal favourites don't always equate to the best choice for Eurovision (in fact, most of my faves are often the *wrong* choice, but I love them all the same) and I have the maturity to admit that.

Uku gives them at least a realistic Chance (like 50-60%) to reach the Final and get a solid 11th-20th Place.

I could also pull random numbers out of my ass, but I would say his chances are far lower than that. The mathematical chance for qualification is 5/9 => 55% chance. However, not everyone's chances are equal. Uku is stuck with a dated midtempo ballad in a semi that has *several other* dated midtempo ballads, most of which are *better* than Uku's (or are not in the second half). Something's gonna give. Someone's going to get their ass handed back at them.

To put it into relative perspective. I think Uku's chances are about as high as SamantaDemon's. Which isn't high, at all.

And yes, Im aware that he wont stand a Chance against Iceland this Year, but Estonia was probably never going to be a Top10 Contender from the Beginning (even with Jaagup).

Agreed, they never would've gotten a top 10. But Jaagup was a serve. He would have qualified. I believe the choice for Uku was a mistake and so do many others, across message boards, chatrooms and social media comments.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I don't understand how it is possible for you to understand the Italy of the 90s. We in the 90s competed for a total of 5/10! If you are an expert on Italian music of the 90s, you will know the protests of Enrico Ruggeri and the Jalisse who reproached RAI for not focusing on the ESC. As further evidence, the horrendously organized ESC 1990 (RAI didn't want to spend too much) and the best songs left at home for fear of victory.
I thiiiiink you might be overestimating my investment of Italy, their involvement in Eurovision and their musical scene in a broader sense.

I am a simple man and I like fun, frivolous, catchy songs. That isn't Italy's thing at ESC and that's fine. Unfortunately that also makes them an ESC country that I don't particularly care about.

opinionsigotem

so it's been confirmed Kontopoulos also wrote this, so I don't know why he's not on the official songwriters list, perhaps he didn't want his name associated with it (I know I wouldn't)

Nemo89

I thiiiiink you might be overestimating my investment of Italy, their involvement in Eurovision and their musical scene in a broader sense.

I am a simple man and I like fun, frivolous, catchy songs. That isn't Italy's thing at ESC and that's fine. Unfortunately that also makes them an ESC country that I don't particularly care about.
You are actually telling the untruths.

Italy, especially from 2010 onwards, has always reached the "Top 10". So overestimated what? The numbers speak.

I appreciate that you love catchy songs and if I wanted to go disco and dance and woo girls, I would call you to come with me. We will have a lot of fun xcheersxdance2xyaay

However, to say that "Italy has not brought catchy music" is an embarrassing falsehood. I would like to remind you of "Occidentali's Karma" and "Soldi". Italy is among the few nations that has experienced all musical genres.

"Try again you will be luckier" xfacepalm Damn ticket! xangry When will I win this blessed money! xcry

Alaska49

But #FIRETOMIRAHULA (twice) was not rude?
not to YOU and your two permanently jetlagged brain cells. what i just said, on the other hand, was, and: worth it. you never offer any insight of value on anything about estonia, dear british @opinionsigotem clearly knows more about eesti laul than you despite you being estonian, and he deserved none of your typical snotty attitude.

anyway: #firetomirahula, anyone (with an IQ, so, not you) can see the forest for the trees.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
You are actually telling the untruths.

Italy, especially from 2010 onwards, has always reached the "Top 10". So overestimated what? The numbers speak.

I appreciate that you love catchy songs and if I wanted to go disco and dance and woo girls, I would call you to come with me. We will have a lot of fun xcheersxdance2xyaay

However, to say that "Italy has not brought catchy music" is an embarrassing falsehood. I would like to remind you of "Occidentali's Karma" and "Soldi". Italy is among the few nations that has experienced all musical genres.

"Try again you will be luckier" xfacepalm Damn ticket! xangry When will I win this blessed money! xcry
OMG you think i'm straight, that's so cute xheart33333334567

but you're also not reading what i'm saying lol. I refer *SPECIFICALLY* to italy from BEFORE THEIR RETURN. ie: 1956-1993.

They have good boppy songs from that period but they're the exception, not the rule.

opinionsigotem

"The other two artists in the superfinal were Estonian artists Stefan and Uku Suviste. Mr Suviste attempted to give the proceedings a nationalist spin, calling on the TV audience to vote for an Estonian to represent Estonia, hinting both at winner Victor Crone's Swedish nationality as well as Stefan's Armenian roots. "

so there's not even "I'm sure he's a good person" to fall back on

Kairit

Welp, so I was wrong. Uku won by a a mile. I am disappointed, but by the end of the voting I also started to accept it, even though it all just felt really sad. But since I can find the good in anything bad... I somehow have hope for this. Because clearly it does have some sort of mass appeal, I'm just not the song's audience. Older people like this, my mom described it as the perfect cheesy Russian schlagerish song. Lots of people love cheese, lots of people love these big Russian ballads, and sure, it's not one of the best, but it still is one... I can imagine it getting votes from Eastern Europe. I just hope they actually can change the staging and make it something more powerful and effective, because the candles just are lame.

But of course, most people just not getting Jaagup's song and not liking it also played a part in him winning, Uku just is more accessible. I don't think people found a stronger competitor, and I don't think there necessarily was one either. Thirdly, I have heard lots of people say, almost everybody who is not disappointed by the result mention how they think it's time to give Uku a chance and let him go to Eurovision because they feel he's tried so many times already, I don't agree with that viewpoint, but it is what it is. I mean I've also heard that maybe if he gets to go, he'll stop trying in the future. :lol:

For me this was definitely the worst Eesti Laul ever. They really should replace the weaker pop songs with more interesting stuff. I am sad about everything, but I guess there's not much to do other than wait for the next edition and hope for the best.

outsynk

A very shocking result. I was like 110% sure Jaagup would win as the audience in the hall was clearly the loudest for him. The whole time I thought why even bother with all of this, just give him the trophy already. I can accept that Uku won but the fact that he did it by such a landslide? Jaagup was clearly a HUGE favorite and you could tell that in the hall as well. It's incredibly suspicious that Uku got over 30 000 votes and Jaagup not even 10 000. Are we sure they didn't just mix up the results or that Kirkorov didn't just buy the votes? Yes, I have my tinfoil hat on.

wtf

"The other two artists in the superfinal were Estonian artists Stefan and Uku Suviste. Mr Suviste attempted to give the proceedings a nationalist spin, calling on the TV audience to vote for an Estonian to represent Estonia, hinting both at winner Victor Crone's Swedish nationality as well as Stefan's Armenian roots. "

He's recently admitted he regrets the saying and he's said before and after that he fully supports foreign artists being allowed representing Estonia, which many other artists were not that supportive of. It was wrong of him to make Stefan sound less Estonian, that's the disgusting part, I hope he probably just forgot about him in the super final and told people why vote himself over the big favourite Victor. Asking them on the spot why people should vote you and not them is already stupid enough. Not an excuse for his unnecessary comment but not something the cancel culture should insert their energy into either.

wtf

A very shocking result. I was like 110% sure Jaagup would win as the audience in the hall was clearly the loudest for him. The whole time I thought why even bother with all of this, just give him the trophy already. I can accept that Uku won but the fact that he did it by such a landslide? Jaagup was clearly a HUGE favorite and you could tell that in the hall as well. It's incredibly suspicious that Uku got over 30 000 votes and Jaagup not even 10 000. Are we sure they didn't just mix up the results or that Kirkorov didn't just buy the votes? Yes, I have my tinfoil hat on.

Jaagup's song got hardly any attention on social media though. Whatever outlet I opened, Uku was the only name mentioned anywhere and the amount of likes his performance got in just a few minutes was very telling. The audible part of the audience is primarily young people and children. Inger had a huge audience support last year as well.

The lines were down for Kerli, Kirkorov bought votes against Jaagup, what is next? :D

Bsimmons

not to YOU and your two permanently jetlagged brain cells. what i just said, on the other hand, was, and: worth it. you never offer any insight of value on anything about estonia, dear british @opinionsigotem clearly knows more about eesti laul than you despite you being estonian, and he deserved none of your typical snotty attitude.

anyway: #firetomirahula, anyone (with an IQ, so, not you) can see the forest for the trees.
GFY

Bsimmons

Totally explains how much you know Estonians. It was meant as a joke and 95% (pulling the stat out of my ass, I admit, but other Estonians here can confirm) of Estonians took it as a joke although maybe a bad one.

opinionsigotem

Totally explains how much you know Estonians. It was meant as a joke and 95% (pulling the stat out of my ass, I admit, but other Estonians here can confirm) of Estonians took it as a joke although maybe a bad one.

If Estonians all act like you and think that bigotry is a joke I don't think I want to know any! (thankfully the truly lovely Estonian posters in this thread prove that isn't the case)

outsynk

Jaagup's song got hardly any attention on social media though. Whatever outlet I opened, Uku was the only name mentioned anywhere and the amount of likes his performance got in just a few minutes was very telling. The audible part of the audience is primarily young people and children. Inger had a huge audience support last year as well.

The lines were down for Kerli, Kirkorov bought votes against Jaagup, what is next? :D
I mean, I don't really care either way as there was nothing to pick this year anyway. Uku is boring and lame as fuck and Jaagup is too similar to last year's Eurovision winner. I just thought it was a weird result. My mom voted for Uku and even she thought it was weird how few votes Jaagup got. I guess the voting audience for Eesti Laul must be older than I thought considering this and Verona.

Top Bottom